Sample previewer instrument? (ARC)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Daeronb

Sample previewer instrument? (ARC)

Post by Daeronb » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi guys,
I bought ARC fomr IK Multimedia a few days ago. (OMG IT ROCKS, but that's not what im here for.)
The thing with ARC is, you have to put it on the mastering channel on ableton.
What this means is that when i preview a sample in abletons browser, it bypasses the ARC vst. Thus sometimes samples i think sound good, actualy sound crap when i import them (and vice versa).

Is there like an instrument (rack) or something that lets me audition samples from within my project so it goes through ARC?

thanks!

Mister36

Re: Sample previewer instrument? (ARC)

Post by Mister36 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:05 am

So what you're saying is that ARC actually makes your samples sound worse... :?

You could set up a track with a Simpler on it and a single clip with a looping C3 note and use the Hot Swap function to audition your samples. Maybe? I don't know of a sample previewer plug-in though, I'm afraid.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Hmmm - something that I think would be an excellent feature wouuld be to be able to select to preview a sample or loop through the currently selected track (so it goes through whatever fx chain is on that track) instead of allways previewing though the cue.
Nothing to see here - move along!

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Probably got to use something like audiohijack (mac) or equivalent that routes the total audio output from live.

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:23 pm

now that i am thinking about it, i think you could create an internal bus like soundflower send the cue out to that bus, then have a track in live with input set to that bus.

btw, once you have done the impulse of your room, ARC is just an eq. If you can analyze the EQ curve that ARC is using (i think there are plugins that can clone an eq
curve, or you could do it with spectrum by eye/ear), then you can get rid of arc and just use an eq instead
Last edited by cabletone on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:30 pm

i just tried out my last post with soundflower and it works. I put a grain delay on the master and now i can preview sounds from the browser through the grain delay

this is actually really useful! (pats self on back)