NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sp0bjogu

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by sp0bjogu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:57 pm

Dexes wrote: But to go a little step into a more serious direction. If we're talking about auto-upload functions, how about letting live upload crash packs automatically.
I have to admit, due to having to open up my browser logging on my email account uploading the crash pack as an attachment and sending it off manually, I probably only end up sending 1 out of 10 crashes. And I bet there's quite a few people who never send them.

A simple popup when you restart with "crash pack has been created. Do you want to upload to ableton? Yes/NO" would result in them getting a lot more info on crashes, and us getting a more stable version of live.
People who don't have their DAW hooked up to the internet can still transfer it to another computer and send an email.
+1

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:18 pm

sp0bjogu wrote:
Dexes wrote: But to go a little step into a more serious direction. If we're talking about auto-upload functions, how about letting live upload crash packs automatically.
I have to admit, due to having to open up my browser logging on my email account uploading the crash pack as an attachment and sending it off manually, I probably only end up sending 1 out of 10 crashes. And I bet there's quite a few people who never send them.

A simple popup when you restart with "crash pack has been created. Do you want to upload to ableton? Yes/NO" would result in them getting a lot more info on crashes, and us getting a more stable version of live.
People who don't have their DAW hooked up to the internet can still transfer it to another computer and send an email.
+1
+ 1

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:24 pm

prebentious wrote:
sp0bjogu wrote:

+1
+ 1
+1
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 am

:lol: good joke wishing for auto upoad crash packs.. for a moment i was thinking you are serious.. 8O :lol:
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:10 am

Auto bug reports! yea, think big!
that's a depressing feature wish. Live is doomed. DOOOOOMED.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 pm

garyboozy wrote:Image
They'd have to bring back the textbox, as they would at the very least like at least a couple of sentences explaining what happened.

Something good actually came out of this whole debacle. We now have a way to create report packs without crashing Live. Those weird annoying bugs that are incredibly hard to reproduce can now be caught the first time they occur.

Now we wait for somebody at Ableton to start with "Good news everyone!"

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Along with a little avatar (think that Dobby creature in one of the harry potter movie for eg) to humbly appologise for loosing you work and giving you various options to:
- Shoot the bastard!
- Apply long medieveil torture and sample the screams
- Flogging - agains with option to sample to screams
- Guiliotine / Hanging etc
- Other variations of the above
- Oh and flaying - must have flaying for those special cases when crash recovery fails!

Your choice and resulting animation to be forward along with the crash report as a means to express your level of annoyance, which in turn get translatted into the severely level for the bug tracking system :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:53 pm

I'll bet they present L9 on Frankfurt MusicMesse

http://musik.messefrankfurt.com/frankfu ... leben.html
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:23 am

Pasha wrote:I'll bet they present L9 on Frankfurt MusicMesse

personally I'm doubtful of even that. I think Live 9 is still a long way off.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:11 am

alex.the.forge wrote:

Based on what if I may ask?
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:06 am

I recall the statement from Ableton a long while ago (was it at NAMM 2010, a year ago?) saying that they would focus on software stability.

That is nice.

But, as all know, a software program like a sequencer is never "finished". There will always be room for improvement. So finally, one needs to call it a day and take the next step.

For example, don´t know how important 64bit is to you guys, but if Ableton won´t turn 64bit in first half of 2011 I will have to seriously consider moving to an other sequencer.

Therefore, I think it´s time to hear something from Ableton of how their work is progressing with Live 8 (and/or 9). When, and to what criteria, do Ableton consider the work done?

Right now, as far as I can see, the users are left in the dark when it comes to the future of the software.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:59 am

Rationalizer wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote:

"educated guess"

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Rationalizer wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote:

Educated Guess based on the fact that Ableton Revenue stream comes from Live upgrades.
The big money is there. That's why they pushed on Max4Live 25% off. They are not at NAMM
and that's strange given that all the others are presenting new stuff. So cost wise
Berlin to Frankfurt is a good deal. If not on Music messe if might be summer NAMM.
Not later. Oxygen is becoming scarce.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:30 pm

purpurkatten wrote:I recall the statement from Ableton a long while ago (was it at NAMM 2010, a year ago?) saying that they would focus on software stability.

That is nice.

But, as all know, a software program like a sequencer is never "finished". There will always be room for improvement. So finally, one needs to call it a day and take the next step.

For example, don´t know how important 64bit is to you guys, but if Ableton won´t turn 64bit in first half of 2011 I will have to seriously consider moving to an other sequencer.

Therefore, I think it´s time to hear something from Ableton of how their work is progressing with Live 8 (and/or 9). When, and to what criteria, do Ableton consider the work done?

Right now, as far as I can see, the users are left in the dark when it comes to the future of the software.
I wouldn't say that. Apple Logic life-cycle that's very bad compared to Live.
Personally I think that all of this 64bit thing is pure hype, over estimated and not necessarily useful.
However I concede that for high pro usage 64bit makes a difference. Personally at work I have a Toshiba M11 which runs on i5 with 4GB RAM running UBUNTU at 64bit that will soon receive a 8GB RAM upgrade. This is only because I run complex architectures and I need more than one virtual machine to run. Music wise I'm still 32bit and I do not feel the need to have nothing more. But it's me an I could be wrong.
64bit or not cannot be the reason for a switch. The functionality count more than the architecture IMHO.

- My 2 cents
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Pasha wrote: Personally I think that all of this 64bit thing is pure hype, over estimated and not necessarily useful.
there was a good write up about it in the latest SOS - more or less showing that it is useful if you want to use really big sample libraries with things like trillian where you want to address lots of RAM at once, but in most other cases it's still a way off being that hugely important