Anyone using APC40 to produce with, recommed it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dominicw78

Anyone using APC40 to produce with, recommed it?

Post by dominicw78 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Just wondering if anyone is using a APC40 to produce their music with? I use my APC40 for performance but not for production but would like to incorporate it more into my production, so that I can have a more hands on approach.

Anyone switched over to using it as a production controller and have any advice regarding it? Can anyone recommend a good step sequencer to use with it?

UKRuss

Re: Anyone using APC40 to produce with, recommed it?

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:02 pm

I don't use a step sequencer but the damn thing rocks in the studio, I love producing with it.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Depends on whether you see the prefpormance aspects of the APC40 relevent to production.

An analogy - if you can play keyboard to some degree - do you record playing keys to produce, or instead do you just program everything?
The APC40 is basically as much a performance interface to Live as a midi keyboard is to a synth or sampler piano etc, so why not use it as such when producing - and to me thats its strength and purpose - not to be a mackie control type thing (which TBH it aint that great for).
Nothing to see here - move along!

dominicw78

Post by dominicw78 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Khazul wrote:Depends on whether you see the prefpormance aspects of the APC40 relevent to production.

An analogy - if you can play keyboard to some degree - do you record playing keys to produce, or instead do you just program everything?
The APC40 is basically as much a performance interface to Live as a midi keyboard is to a synth or sampler piano etc, so why not use it as such when producing - and to me thats its strength and purpose - not to be a mackie control type thing (which TBH it aint that great for).
Yes I use a midi keyboard for most parts and can play, to some degree! I have just wondered if it would add all that much difference than my midi keyboard, however I have some designed some cool fx for my live sets but still haven't got around to using them in my tracks. It's kind of one of those things I always intend to do but still haven't yet. I probably should just give it ago. I really like the idea of being able to use it as a step sequencer for drums & percs and for synth lines etc. I'm very surprised there isn't an abundance of step sequencera designed by live users that have been recommended in this thread. Perhaps I need MFL for that?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:06 pm

OK - I dont use any of the step sequencers etc because actually live allready has a perfect good step sequencer in the form of clips + overdub mode which is at least velocity sensitive.

Though with a bit of help from M4L features it could have been alot better.

So use the APC the same way as I would use it live - ie as a mean to 'play' ableton live as an instrument and that to me is turnign out to be a good way to constrict tracks.
Nothing to see here - move along!

dominicw78

Post by dominicw78 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:38 am

Khazul wrote:OK - I dont use any of the step sequencers etc because actually live allready has a perfect good step sequencer in the form of clips + overdub mode which is at least velocity sensitive.

Though with a bit of help from M4L features it could have been alot better.

So use the APC the same way as I would use it live - ie as a mean to 'play' ableton live as an instrument and that to me is turnign out to be a good way to constrict tracks.
How do you use the clips + overdub mode to act as a step sequencer? Ie so that if I press one button a midi note will land on 3rd 16th and then press another and it land on the 10th 16th for instance?

Have you seen this guys stuff? Very impressive.

http://www.nativekontrol.com/apC_Series.html