LFO modulated parameter and Lives undo history

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
mr.ergonomics

LFO modulated parameter and Lives undo history

Post by mr.ergonomics » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:04 pm

I have a major problem with the usability from max4live LFOs. When a parameter in live is modulated by an max LFO, lives own undo history get updated by every step an LFO makes. That means you last undo step is always the modulation form the LFO and not the last task you have done in live (copy a clip or something).

Is there an idea how to prevent this?

ST8

Re: LFO modulated parameter and Lives undo history

Post by ST8 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:26 pm

i thought the point of live.remote~ was to modulate parameters at audio rate without writing to the undo buffer? maybe those devices use a live.object instead?

julienb

Post by julienb » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:19 pm

ST8 wrote:i thought the point of live.remote~ was to modulate parameters at audio rate without writing to the undo buffer? maybe those devices use a live.object instead?
right.
it works like that.

BUT by using live.remote~, you lock the parameter (= you cannot change it with the mouse)
you can use an (id 0) message to the considered live.remote~ in order to unlock it.
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 pm

thanks for your help. that is the kind of answer I was looking for.

best
mr.ergo

schlocktober

Post by schlocktober » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:24 pm

For somebody who just likes to use M4L devices from the library or other users, how do I address these unwanted events in my "undo" history?

All this talk of live.remote is over my head. I can't recall the last time I typed a ~.

julienb

Post by julienb » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 pm

schlocktober wrote:For somebody who just likes to use M4L devices from the library or other users, how do I address these unwanted events in my "undo" history?

All this talk of live.remote is over my head. I can't recall the last time I typed a ~.
You can edit them by yourself.
Julien Bayle

schlocktober

Post by schlocktober » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:21 am

julienb wrote:
schlocktober wrote:For somebody who just likes to use M4L devices from the library or other users, how do I address these unwanted events in my "undo" history?

Is there something I should read so this doesn't sound like such a foreign language to me? I'm not looking to become an expert, but it would be nice to have a clue what people are talking about.

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 am

schlocktober wrote:
julienb wrote:

Is there something I should read so this doesn't sound like such a foreign language to me? I'm not looking to become an expert, but it would be nice to have a clue what people are talking about.
Yes I get it.
I have a lot of students (users too) who don't want to learn max for live.
I totally understand it and this is also the reason why there are companies selling (but also offering) services about Max for Live like support, mods, specific device design.
Of course, this is *cool to download everything for free, but in the most cases, this also involves own knowledge to alter/modify/adapt.

In this precise case, what is your provblem ?
Julien Bayle

to_the_sun

Post by to_the_sun » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:36 pm

julienb (or anyone)-
I am having a problem which is similar to this. Perhaps you'd be able to take a glance at it? I created a separate thread for it.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=197732