Ableton Live 9 soon? thoughts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agent314

Re: Ableton Live 9 soon? thoughts?

Post by agent314 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:57 pm

I do not care about a Live 9... I just want Live 8 more stable... and when there is a Live 9, what I want most are basic improvements and really make all the features already there solid and efficient. There is too much stuff that feels half-assed.
Ableton HQ: "Live 9 will include no new functionality, but instead focus on fixes and improvements to what is already there."
Forum: "BUT LIVE 8 WAS A DISASTER AND NOW WE HAVE TO PAY MORE JUST TO GET THE STABLE PRODUCT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!"

---

Ableton HQ: "Live 9 will include the new features X, Y, and Z, in addition to additional fixes the existing functionality."
Forum: "BUT WHY DOESN'T IT HAVE FEATURES T, U, V, AND W??! AND WE HAVE TO PAY MORE TO GET THE FIXES WE SHOULD HAVE HAD IN THE FIRST PLACE?!"

---
Ableton HQ: "Live 9 will include new features T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z."
Forum: "BUT THEY'RE SPREADING THEIR DEVELOPMENT TOO THIN! THESE ARE ALL GOING TO BE HALF-ASSED AND USELESS LIKE AMP AND THE VOCODER AND IT'S NOT GOING TO BE STABLE! AND WHY ISN'T THERE SESSION AUTOMATION!?"

---
Ableton HQ: "Live 9 has been completely rewritten to include the long-sought feature, Session Automation. Because of the amount of development resources required to completely redesign the architecture, we were unable to offer any additional enhancements in this release, and we ask that you bear with us with any unanticipated stability problems, which we will continue to work hard to iron out."
Forum: "BUT WHY AREN'T THERE ANY NEW FEATURES? I'M NOT PAYING FOR SESSION AUTOMATION, I JUST USE ARRANGEMENT VIEW ANYWAY! WHY DO WE HAVE 2 BACK TO BACK RELEASES FULL OF BUGS?!?!"

---

Ableton HQ: "We will not be putting out any new upgrades at this time, as we continue to address the stability issues that have caused so much commotion in the user community."
Forum: "THIS IS BULLSHIT, WHY IS THERE NO NEW VERSION?! WE DESERVE NEW FEATURES AFTER PUTTING UP WITH A BUGGY MESS!"

---

Ableton HQ: "We have committed all of our development time to perfecting MIDI sync among multiple MIDI devices and instances of Live in this new version 9 of Live"
3phase: "Sorry, but that won't fix my sync issues."

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:05 pm

:lol:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:26 pm

agent314 wrote:
I do not care about a Live 9... I just want Live 8 more stable... and when there is a Live 9, what I want most are basic improvements and really make all the features already there solid and efficient. There is too much stuff that feels half-assed.
Ableton HQ: "Live 9 will include no new functionality, but instead focus on fixes and improvements to what is already there."
Forum: "BUT LIVE 8 WAS A DISASTER AND NOW WE HAVE TO PAY MORE JUST TO GET THE STABLE PRODUCT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!"

---

Ableton HQ: "Live 9 will include the new features X, Y, and Z, in addition to additional fixes the existing functionality."
Forum: "BUT WHY DOESN'T IT HAVE FEATURES T, U, V, AND W??! AND WE HAVE TO PAY MORE TO GET THE FIXES WE SHOULD HAVE HAD IN THE FIRST PLACE?!"

---
Forum: "BUT THEY'RE SPREADING THEIR DEVELOPMENT TOO THIN! THESE ARE ALL GOING TO BE HALF-ASSED AND USELESS LIKE AMP AND THE VOCODER AND IT'S NOT GOING TO BE STABLE! AND WHY ISN'T THERE SESSION AUTOMATION!?"

---
Ableton HQ: "Live 9 has been completely rewritten to include the long-sought feature, Session Automation. Because of the amount of development resources required to completely redesign the architecture, we were unable to offer any additional enhancements in this release, and we ask that you bear with us with any unanticipated stability problems, which we will continue to work hard to iron out."
Forum: "BUT WHY AREN'T THERE ANY NEW FEATURES? I'M NOT PAYING FOR SESSION AUTOMATION, I JUST USE ARRANGEMENT VIEW ANYWAY! WHY DO WE HAVE 2 BACK TO BACK RELEASES FULL OF BUGS?!?!"

---

Ableton HQ: "We will not be putting out any new upgrades at this time, as we continue to address the stability issues that have caused so much commotion in the user community."
Forum: "THIS IS BULLSHIT, WHY IS THERE NO NEW VERSION?! WE DESERVE NEW FEATURES AFTER PUTTING UP WITH A BUGGY MESS!"

---

Ableton HQ: "We have committed all of our development time to perfecting MIDI sync among multiple MIDI devices and instances of Live in this new version 9 of Live"
You forgot the last two steps.

Customer: "Oh well I guess I'll buy it anyway"
Ableton: "Kerching!!!"
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Hoffoman

Post by Hoffoman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:32 pm

agent314 wrote:

---

---

---

---

---

:lol: :lol: Spot on!

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:59 pm

kb420 wrote:
fisto wrote:
Slightlydelic wrote:i cant think of anything Ableton could do that would make me want to spend more money with them, right now native instruments are my prefered company to spend money with.
+1

N.I + Sonar X1 is THE SHIT For me now. I also won't spend a dime on the Abes the next few years :-)

I agree. I see no reason to spend any money on the Abes for a few years. I'm in no rush for a new version of Live. I'll wait patiently until it's released and somewhat stable. I would be willing to help beta test, but I'm not spending any money on an upgrade for some time after it's released.
Before something new is invented, nobody really needs it.
After its invented, everybody wants it.
You never know..

Maybe Live 9 features something so heavenly awesome you cant imagine life without it ever again..
Only time will tell.

DigitalLove

Post by DigitalLove » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:01 am

"A new verison of Live with built in M4L will be at namm jan 2011 stay tuned for more info"

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Rabalder wrote:Before something new is invented, nobody really needs it.
After its invented, everybody wants it.
You never know..

Maybe Live 9 features something so heavenly awesome you cant imagine life without it ever again..
Only time will tell.

You make a good point, but new features at the cost of increased instability isn't worth it.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

deejayconte

Post by deejayconte » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Crashes crashes , new processors are not doing well with ableton.. My old q9550 work 2 times better than my new i7 960 (example some projects that on q9550 works with 30% on i7 its 90% in abletons cpu meter and also there are glitches(thou task menager shows all tasks doesnt even consume the half cpu power at the same time). Normaly i suposed that its not cpu but when i overcloaked it to 4ghz per core and it performed better, and also when i downcloaked it to 2.6 ghz it could'n even play a song normaly.. I even instaled my q9550 back and everything was perfect ableton cpu meter and task menager one were showing the same. So it is, new cpus have compatibility issue with ableton and i think i wasted lots of $$$$$ with no reason.. Hope they will fix it soon thou!

CFM

Post by CFM » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 pm

---

---

---

---

---

Here's the link to Cakewalk or Cubase
http://www.steinberg.net/
http://www.cakewalk.com

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:37 pm

CFM wrote:

---

---

---

---

---

Just been installing it (C6/64 that is) and configuring it and so far Ive had to kill either the VSTBridge or C6 process about 4 times.

Finally it now seems to be mostly behaving itself, found most of my plugins, audio interfaces and control surfaces working, and I ended up installing both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions (after starting the 64bit control room killed the VSTbridge, therefore killing all 32 bit plugins that were in use) and will probably take a while for it to be fully usable while I sort out VST hell, and get 64 bit and/or VST3 version of everything installed, pick though the duplicates and disable all but the right versions from the plugin list in each version, and probably re-install Komplete, Trillian and other huge plugins for the third time to make sure I have the best versions of them available for Cubase.

Meanwhile, while trying to sort this mess out, Im not even allowed to post any queries onto the Steinberg forums because my product registration hasnt synced yet.

Now I have to try and remmber why I did this to myself? Oh yeh... Keep up with the updates while they are cheap and get a bunch of useful tools and plug some of the great gaping chasms in Live.

'Its life Jim, but not as we know it...'
Nothing to see here - move along!

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:06 pm

CFM wrote:

---

---

---

---

---

Heh - you missed the point.

I was just illustrating how no matter what Ableton decides to do, there are going to be people whining in the forum about that decision. If they do nothing but make stability enhancements for 9, people are going to be pissed about no new features. If they add new features, people are going to be pissed that they didn't focus on making it stable. If they offer a free upgrade to users who bought 8, people are going to find a way to be pissed about that.

The bottom line is, no matter what the Abes do, there are going to be people on the internet whining and complaining that they did it wrong.

For what it's worth, I love Live. It's a great feature set, intuitive workflow, and overall just a good-feeling bit of software to use. It's the only DAW I spend any time in anymore. There are certainly things I wish it did that it currently doesn't, but it does 94% of what I want it to do, remarkably well, and is stable enough for me.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:08 pm

then there's the people whining about the people that are whining about anything Ableton does.

was that the Judean Peoples' Front or the Peoples' Front of Judea? I get them all confused.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Tone Deft wrote:then there's the people whining about the people that are whining about anything Ableton does.

was that the Judean Peoples' Front or the Peoples' Front of Judea? I get them all confused.
Hey, your back! Please tell mother A.F. next time you decide to dissapear, cuz she gets worried n shit! :mrgreen:

edit:typo

Migra

Post by Migra » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:09 pm

I was waiting for the long awaited Live 9 Suite to upgrade my Live 8, but seeing the videos on youtube about Cubase 6 looks awesome!!! I think my Live 9 Suite Upgrade Money is going to go to Steinberg for Cubase 6 :roll:

I think I'll upgrade my Live to Suite when it be on version 10 by year 2015-2020 :cry:
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Migra wrote:I was waiting for the long awaited Live 9 Suite to upgrade my Live 8, but seeing the videos on youtube about Cubase 6 looks awesome!!! I think my Live 9 Suite Upgrade Money is going to go to Steinberg for Cubase 6 :roll:

I think I'll upgrade my Live to Suite when it be on version 10 by year 2015-2020 :cry:
have a look at Presonus Studio One
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985