BT's Stutter Edit is out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pitch Black

Re: BT's Stutter Edit is out

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 pm

arafel wrote:Pitch Black.. please post your own video to show how this plug might actually be used with taste and artistry.
hehe... well I got a secret technique I wanna use first, you'll hear it on an upcoming Tom Cosm remix we're doing at the moment :wink:
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

megahurt

Post by megahurt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Thank god I blah blah blah'd this rather than paying. No automation totally sucks. They really need to fix that.
Last edited by megahurt on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:07 am

Pitch Black wrote:hehe... well I got a secret technique I wanna use first
I bet BT knows all about it.. :wink:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:03 am

Poster wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:hehe... well I got a secret technique I wanna use first
I bet BT knows all about it.. :wink:
BT knows all and sees all.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:00 am

I used it some and I will admit that its a cool toy for live performance. Using for arrangements would be retarded though.

Peace.

djhd

Post by djhd » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Can anyone guide me as to how to record the effects from this plugin? I'm still new to Live and tried arming the track with the sample and the one with the MIDI (& Stutter Edit), but couldn't generate any WAV files. Thanks in advance.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Stutter Edit goes on the track with the sample.

You then need to add a midi track that sends midi to that audio track. I found the easiest way to do this was to use the external instrument plugin send midi to the other track. That way midi notes didn't have to be played live. You can use a midi clip already setup and looped unless you like the live aspect of this. You can still do it live using the external instrument as well.

Then set up another audio track to receive audio from the track with the sample and stutter edit. Arm that track and record away.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:40 pm

McQ714 wrote:Stutter Edit goes on the track with the sample.

You then need to add a midi track that sends midi to that audio track. I found the easiest way to do this was to use the external instrument plugin send midi to the other track. That way midi notes didn't have to be played live. You can use a midi clip already setup and looped unless you like the live aspect of this. You can still do it live using the external instrument as well.

Then set up another audio track to receive audio from the track with the sample and stutter edit. Arm that track and record away.
I'm not sure why you're using external MIDI instrument.. I'd just put stutter edit on the track you want to stutter, then add a MIDI channel and send the MIDI to stutter edit.. if you want to play it live just press notes, if you want to record your note presses just record into a MIDI clip, as long as you play that along with the effected audio it will glitch when you wanted it.

cheers

23kon

Post by 23kon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:07 pm

out of curiosity, what's the controller that's being used in this pic?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:48 pm

23kon wrote:out of curiosity, what's the controller that's being used in this pic?
Evolution X-Session

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:04 pm

23kon wrote:out of curiosity, what's the controller that's being used in this pic?

What I don't get is you can't automate anything. All you can do is mash keys on a keyboard. So that controller is the exact opposite of what you'd want to use. A nano key would be more appropriate and that controller makes no sense in the context. It's like using a picture of a guitar to sell saxophones. :x

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:40 pm

beats me wrote:

What I don't get is you can't automate anything. All you can do is mash keys on a keyboard. So that controller is the exact opposite of what you'd want to use. A nano key would be more appropriate and that controller makes no sense in the context. It's like using a picture of a guitar to sell saxophones. :x
I hear you. I think he's using the controller as a hand rest. He's not actually turning any knobs because it's not actually possible to map out any of the parameters or automate anything, aside from the master filter and gesture length being mapped to pitch wheel and mod wheel.
Professional Shark Jumper.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:24 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
McQ714 wrote:Stutter Edit goes on the track with the sample.

I'm not sure why you're using external MIDI instrument.. I'd just put stutter edit on the track you want to stutter, then add a MIDI channel and send the MIDI to stutter edit.. if you want to play it live just press notes, if you want to record your note presses just record into a MIDI clip, as long as you play that along with the effected audio it will glitch when you wanted it.

cheers

I'm pretty sure I tried that and for whatever reason the MIDI notes would only send from whatever I was pressing on the keys at the time and not the clip that I had on the track. This was in Arrangement View. Didn't try Session. To get Stutter Edit to respond to the MIDI clip that was in the Arrangement, MIDI needed to be sent using an External Instrument plugin. I'll try again when I get home to verify this.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Going somewhat off topic here, but here's a little tip for Artillery owners:

If anything, Stutter Edit has inspired me to create more automated effects with Artillery 2 (using Artillery's envelopes and step sequencers)!

Actually, I've used External Instrument too, but for a different purpose:

I've set up a MIDI track with an Instrument rack which contains 25 chains spread across the keyboard in the key chain
(each chain containing one External Instrument without any audio input / MIDI output). This MIDI track then feeds
another MIDI track that passes the MIDI on to Artillery. This MIDI track has a MIDI effects rack two key chains, the
second of which has a +12 pitch effect on it... which means that I can activate as many effects in Artillery as I please
with ONE key press (and a little planning, e.g. having a delay on F1 and a filter sweep on F2)), and PRESTO: who needs
the overpriced, unautomatable Stutter Edit?

Oh, I forgot to explain WHY I use the Instrument rack w/External Instruments: because I can now name the notes, and collapse
the clips on this track, and goof around with my very own little effects sequencer (inspired by Effectrix, which I also love)!

McQ714: I don't know why a simple MIDI track isn't working for you - I just tried it with Stutter, and it works both in
Session and in Arrangement.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:21 pm

not sure what i did before but you guys are all right... i think maybe i didn't have the the Stutter Edit as the target plugin for the MIDI track.