Requests for LOM

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
benb7760

Requests for LOM

Post by benb7760 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:41 pm

I'd like to be able to delete a clip from a clipslot and to move clips between clipslots for a patch I wish to make. I've looked thoroughly through the documentation and have come to the conclusion it's currently not a feature.

Is there any chance it can be made to happen? It's one of a few main things my idea requires, and without it I will not be able to go ahead with it.

Thanks, ben

phattline

Re: Requests for LOM

Post by phattline » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:06 pm

benb7760 wrote:I'd like to be able to delete a clip from a clipslot and to move clips between clipslots for a patch I wish to make. I've looked thoroughly through the documentation and have come to the conclusion it's currently not a feature.

Is there any chance it can be made to happen? It's one of a few main things my idea requires, and without it I will not be able to go ahead with it.

Thanks, ben
good idea! + to be able to make a new midiclip in a empty cell :D

benb7760

Post by benb7760 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:48 pm

maybe also a way to load a midi clip or audio clip from file into a clipslot also?

That would be very handy for if there is no intention to allow copying buffers from max into a live clipslot, as you could have a button which saves the buffer to file and have it auto load that file into a clipslot in live

I think these would be very useful features, I hope Ableton/C74 agree!

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:47 pm

All plenty cool ideas!

benb7760

Post by benb7760 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:35 am

also perhaps the ability to load devices into a track and reorder them?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:43 am

Access to set the scene name and colour by max, i also want to change the colour of the clips that are highlighted and have white font on black clips.... Play head info is essential, my workaround with multiple counters is very messy when you consider all the permations of playing a clip and accessing it's looping, also want to have access to clip_end and clip_start as the current method of getting loop_start and end is only useful if you double trigger a bang to turn loop on and off to collect the information......

Anything else i can think of i'll let you know!

Cheers
D

ps documentation for all the live api abstractions as well and not just a link to the bpatcher help file each time....

Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:37 am

I agree strongly with the OP: the "clip" field of a ClipSlot should allow set() methods, not just get() methods.

Currently, if your clip launcher uses the Live Object Model and you are recording improvised material into a clip slot, you have to get it right the first time, because whatever you record will stay in that slot forever. You can't move the clip to another slot, and you can't delete the clip.

TouchAble currently uses a hack to partly work around this problem: the Undo/Redo buttons. If you know you recorded the thing badly right after recording it, you can Undo the recording. But if you didn't hear the mistake, or don't remember it, or if the mistake was in the timing of the record command instead of the notes, you wouldn't know about the mistake until later. At that point, you can only undo the recording if you first undo everything that came before it.

For improvisational work without pre-recorded clips, this is a severe limitation.

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:46 am

I also like to have get filepath when the clip is an audio clip. Clipname is not sufficient.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:04 am

Id like to be able to do anything from M4L that can be done in the UI and get inside racks.

That should just about cover it I think?

Oh and sort midi sysex out as well, and multi-channel audio in and out of plugins, and allow audio + midi into a plugin at the same time!

In fact while at it - expose all functionality required to implement a plugin container like instrument, fx, midi and drum racks and external fx, external instruments (so we can fix the midi clocks etc and add some knobs to external devices).

In fact sod it - best just give us the source code to live....
Nothing to see here - move along!

Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Don't ask for too much! They won't take us seriously. I just want to be able to delete clips. Nothing fancy.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 pm

Jeff Brown wrote:Don't ask for too much! They won't take us seriously. I just want to be able to delete clips. Nothing fancy.
I'm not! at least not for anything unreasonable - ok well maybe the source code ;)

The reality is there were loads of thing I wanted to do with M4L, and various other thing that have come up along the way, highlights involving side chain effects (multi-channel in), cross overs (stereo in, multi-channel out), midi controlled keyboard effects (needs midi midi + audio in), controllers for various hardware synths (needed sysex and for some stuff ability to send a midi clock with a correctly compensated sync offset), some comping and clip management stuff (needed to create tracks, move clips around rite automation curves etc), and some parameter controllers - ok they worked, but not for devices in racks along with other stuff for controlling lighting via DMX. And anything using send/receive is unreliable timing wise die to undisclosed and perhaps inconsitent latency. Fixing/improving external instruments and external effects was a dead end as well.

So yes - out of everything - got DMX lighting working and that was it (ironically, I thought that was the most likely not to be possible, but it turned out you could actually load 3rd party max externals).

So now I eventualy got reaktor as part of komplete and at least I can do all the multi-channel internal audio/midi processing I wanted to as M4L has been found severely lacking in that area. The newer vizzie stuff might actually save it and make it useful, even if not for what I want to do with audio and midi :?
Nothing to see here - move along!

neuromodulator

Post by neuromodulator » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:43 pm

I'd like to be able to set groove settings for clips.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:06 pm

the ability to observe when a clip is added to a track. a bonus would be if we were told what scene it was added at, but a bang would be fine.

also, the ability to trigger LiveAPI stuff from LiveAPI callbacks in js. i got around it with deferlow a couple times, but sometimes there is nothing i can do.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:01 pm

The ability to enable an object for midi mapping without storing would also bright my days