Good VST for strings?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
icedsushi

Re: Good VST for strings?

Post by icedsushi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:54 am

Thanks, it sounds pretty convincing. I'd prefer if the strings tone had a little more ooompff :?: for lack of a better word. But I'm only imagining what those sounds would be like in context of a more aggressive background with beats, etc. Perhaps there are some more aggressive articulations as well.

But isn't Orchestral Strings more comprehensive than EIC? I wonder if Orchestral Strings & EIC even share some of the same samples...

Nephew

Post by Nephew » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:48 am

I'm working on dance music, deep house and disco-y stuff if that helps

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:20 pm

OIC and EIC share both samples and (some) patches; check the Ableton OIC pages, they have a little * next to the patches in OIC that are also included in EIC. Actually the EIC set is a pretty useful subset of solo strings, winds, and brass. Great sounding, but even the full OIC is very limited in articulations. Not bad for the price I guess. (Ableton OIC strings = $189, full Sonivox Symphonic Strings (where OIC comes from) = $995). The OIC patches have articulation-switching in the patches; there's no point in the EIC version, only really having one articulation to choose from. (unless you count legato and legato+vibrato as separate :)

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm quite surprised no-one has mentioned Amber from FXpansion's Synth Squad. Lovely warm analog strings every time.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 am

Nephew wrote:I'm working on dance music, deep house and disco-y stuff if that helps
Then you want NI session strings - quite cheap and exellent for those kind of sounds and typical articulations.

The rest just seemed too much like hard work to use/programme etc for the kind of thing we wanted.

A few months ago we were looking around a whole load of string VSTs from VSL/Phillamonic etc downwards - I think we bought session strings after about 5 minutes demoing it and been happy with it for disco/funky house type stuff.

At the moment Im doing something with full orchestra style strings arrangement in it - here were using the kontakt orchetra sounds (better for this kind of thing than session strings) and some interesting use of bits of the aether reverb, some delays etc to create a natural huge concert hall space for them.

For house abuse of strings, then you tend to want to EQ them quite hard to bring out exactly the aspect you want. Ive also found that an SPL Mk2 Vitalizer (even the software version) does wonders for strings - especially solo sounds.

As an alternative for house scoops etc - look out for a PWM string sound on a synth - works pretty well. String in this (http://soundcloud.com/adam-g/as-demo-4) were a mix of pwm synth sound and strings with quite high frequency high pass on both and some enhancement on the strings (out of ECI2 I think) - the sample string really just used to play the the scoops. Did this last year sometime.
Nothing to see here - move along!

stu.b

Post by stu.b » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 am

scutheotaku wrote:
Nephew wrote:Good call on the Tapetronic VST, download their whole pack and a number of their VSTs are actually really cool and pretty straight forward. I prefer a VST that doesn't do much, but what it does do it does well, instead of a VST that tries to be everything and you get more caught up in the VST vs writing the track
Yeah, I completely agree, and Tapetronic is one of my favorites.
Yep, me too, thanks a lot for the tip, never heard of them until today but they sound fanatastic. Cheers.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:24 am

scutheotaku wrote:
I only have EIC and it lets me choose between pizz & legato for articulation on the Orchestra strings.
that's true, the strings ensemble does. but the solo string pieces are legato only.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:07 pm

My God, this sounds like heaven:

http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Strings/

8O

But the price for even the watered down version is a kick in the nuts. :x

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 pm

Yeh - lots of these string VSTs are very expensive.

I still think the most useful thing you can spend money on for his kind of thing is Komplete and Session strings, or even just kontakt and session strings.

BTW - orchestral string on Kontakt come from these guys http://www.vsl.co.at/

Now, if you want their complete bundle - it will set you back a cool 5 grand for a half terrabyte sample set 8O
Nothing to see here - move along!

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:02 pm

I like AAS String Studio for more-realistic.
I like AAS Ultra Analog VA-1 for those Juno-106-type synth strings.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 am

Camel audio Alchemy,
reaktor "photone"ensemble(electronic instruments vol. 2)

Sylenth1....dancepresets.