Best drum pad controller?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Remi D

Re: Best drum pad controller?

Post by Remi D » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:02 am

most drum pad controllers have sensitivity adjustments, i think most people don't realize this. So before your go to the trouble of selling and buying something different, check into that.

I know I was able to adjust the sensitivity on a M-Audio MPD16 and that made all the difference in the world.
•º•º•º•º•º• http://EDMHeaven.blogspot.com •º•º•º•º•º•

Intermediate and Advanced tutorials for Ableton Live and Serato Scratch Live.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 am

Remi D wrote:most drum pad controllers have sensitivity adjustments, i think most people don't realize this. So before your go to the trouble of selling and buying something different, check into that.

I know I was able to adjust the sensitivity on a M-Audio MPD16 and that made all the difference in the world.
plus the midi effect Velocity is great for adjusting things too.. especially when you have guests that don't like your sensitivity

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Im well aware sensitivity settings... they dont do much... the minimum pressuure required for the sensors to pick up is way too high... I think im gonna right a email complaint to akai

I guess padkontrol is my best bet

toph

Post by toph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:29 pm

+1 for the PadKontrol!

I had the same problem as you: Bought an MPK49 when it came out and did never use the pads (only as buttons for remote) because of the bad sensitivity (at all sensitivity settings). Then one user here came up with a mod tip for the MPK pads and I tried. That made the pads feeling a little better, but I still didn't and don't like it.

I was searching for a long time for a better controller, tested some of them and ended up with the PadKontrol, because most people seemed to like it beside Machine.

And PK totally fits my needs. The MPK feels like hitting on Stones compared to the PadKontrol.

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 pm

MPD16, has real midi out and is rock solid! :)

cheers
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

toph

Post by toph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 pm

wehkah wrote:MPD16, has real midi out and is rock solid! :)
MPK49 also is rock solid and has a MIDI out, but the pads suck! ;-) Don't know the MPD16, but I never played on Akai pads that played as well as the PK pads do.

C.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:50 am

toph wrote:+1 for the PadKontrol!

The MPK feels like hitting on Stones compared to the PadKontrol.
So true...

I love Akai for everything but the pads... Ironically this is what there know for..

Just found something thing else witch could be intersting
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/software ... _nano2.php

toph

Post by toph » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:05 am

Dragonbreath wrote:Just found something thing else witch could be intersting
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/software ... _nano2.php
I have a NanoPad of the first series. The feelings of the pads is quite similar to the PK, but mine had big problems with triggering pads beside the pad I hit sometimes and not all pads worked really good. Maybe I got a bad break with my special unit, but that's the reason, why I always would prefer a PK and don't recommend the NanoPad.

C.

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 am

I use a padKontrol. It's real good.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:30 am

Well I ended up buying a used m-audio trigger finger used from my local pawnshop and it is quite a step up from the pads on the mpk49.
lower threshold, more dynamic. I find that the pressure sensitivity to send cc control is really cool too

musicuser

Post by musicuser » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:33 pm

I used the Korg Nanopad for ages until some of the pads became faulty and wouldn't always trigger correctly. As a replacement I tried the Akai MPD32, and although a nice unit the pads were not as sensitive or as nice to play on. Thinking about getting a Korg padKontrol hoping it has the same feel as the nanopads.

http://www.custombackingtracks.net

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Dragonbreath wrote:I find the pad response is simply horrible. This pretty disapointing considering Akai is know for there pads with the MPC's
It's just one of those common myths that Akai pads are supposed to be good because they're best known for the MPCs which have the 4x4 drum pad layout. In reality, Akai pads are the least sensitive compared to what's out there because all Akai pads have the design flaw of a gap between the pad and the sensor which is why most people who want to keep their MPC/MPD/MPK end up buying a mod kit to fix it (which can result in it no longer working if you do it wrong as well as voiding any warranty).

joeypresents

Post by joeypresents » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:22 pm

MPC2000XL 8)

Manik

Post by Manik » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:50 am

MPC2000xl have the best pads ever i ever toutched!!
i traded my maschine for it.. 8)

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:36 pm

I have had the padKontrol for some time, rarely used it since I don't do dance/trance/hip-hop/techno stuff that uses a lot of percussion. I got an Akai LPD8 awhile ago (~2 yrs maybe or so) and I like it for compact-ness and sensitive pads and ability to have up to 4 banks of 8 pads as well as the 8 knobs for midi assigning/twiddling (main reason for it). If I ever get off my ass for my other project I will begin using one/both of those (martial/dark ambient project). But the LPD8 could be used just as well for doing pad sounds for drones or whatever too.

But padKontrol seems to be one several here use (or MPD*, LPD8, etc). Find one locally used, borrow from a friend, try something out!
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.