Drum Racks: Previewing sounds/samples?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
OCDaveWilcox

Drum Racks: Previewing sounds/samples?

Post by OCDaveWilcox » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 am

Ok, so drum racks has everything I need, but wtf is there a better way to scroll through the samples? Hot swapping take all this clicking and its slow anyway. Can I just use the arrows?

Please tell me there is a better way.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by OCDaveWilcox on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#1thelark

Re: Drum Racks: Previewing sounds?

Post by #1thelark » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:48 am

Dunno if I understand correctly, but if you want to change sounds you could use a pitch plugin before the drumrack... so all you need would be to push one key on the keyboard and change the pitch via a midicontroller or a mouse to scroll through the samples. Or simply drag a set of 128 samples from the browser into a drumrack and then activate preview on the pianoroll...
A very nice trick is that you can pull a sound out of a drumrack and it will automatically turn into a seperate miditrack with all corresponding midi notes.

OCDaveWilcox

Re: Drum Racks: Previewing sounds?

Post by OCDaveWilcox » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:54 am

#1thelark wrote:Dunno if I understand correctly, but if you want to change sounds you could use a pitch plugin before the drumrack... so all you need would be to push one key on the keyboard and change the pitch via a midicontroller or a mouse to scroll through the samples. Or simply drag a set of 128 samples from the browser into a drumrack and then activate preview on the pianoroll...
A very nice trick is that you can pull a sound out of a drumrack and it will automatically turn into a seperate miditrack with all corresponding midi notes.
Hmm, thats interesting, not sure if that what I'm looking for though. It's really quite simple. Currently I can make a drum rack, drag some samples in, but what if I don't like the kick? I click the hot swap button and I can try out other samples, but to do this I need to double click each sample to "hot swap" it. Is there anyway to skip having to click or hit enter to select the sample? I just wanna scroll through them with the arrow keys.

acatcalledanarchy

Re: Drum Racks: Previewing sounds/samples?

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 am

http://vimeo.com/10599396 - 5 minutes into this tutorial is your answer...
Once is curiousity, twice is fun, three times is an addiction...

OCDaveWilcox

Post by OCDaveWilcox » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:40 pm

wow, ok I get it now. cool! Thanks to both of you.

I mean it's still kind of lame that I'm limited to 128 samples in this setup, but it sure beats using the hot swap bs.

This definitely helps!

I guess its all the prep time. I'm just now geting to that point.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Really nice workflow, throw 128 samples into a Sampler, group it, map one macro knob to the Sample selector and then drag it to the iibrary to save it. Just do it once and you are done... In the end you'll have a drumrack filled with samplers for each type of sounds.
Maybe Live 9 or so will improve that sample-handling but I guess that's the smartest way by now.

phaded

Post by phaded » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 am

anyone have suggestions on how to pull this off if you *don't* have sampler :oops:

C.E.O. of The Zero-Fucks Commission

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 am

phaded wrote:anyone have suggestions on how to pull this off if you *don't* have sampler :oops:
Don't be embarrassed. I don't have Sampler and I'm not embarrassed. Simpler is pretty useful on its own anyway. And, I'll check when I next get chance, but maybe you could work something out with drum racks within a drum rack? A drum rack with up to 128 samples on each (or on as many as you want) pad of a master drum rack. Not sure without checking how the routing would work out though.

keppy

Post by keppy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 pm

@phaded

you can group the sounds to an instrument rack, and map the instruments rack's chain selector the same way as you would in sampler.

hope that helps

also, i have always found it a pain in the ass that you can't preview the sounds within the browser. yes, i understand that they are in simplers/samplers and you can't preview them either, but just raw samples of the drum hits. if anyone know a workaround for this, that would be awesome.

one more thing, is it really not possible to drag multiple drum sounds from the browser into a drum rack/ instrument rack? i just checked before i posted, and couldn't get that to happen. i rarely use drum racks and instr racks this way, so i am just finding this out.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:47 pm

keppy wrote:also, i have always found it a pain in the ass that you can't preview the sounds within the browser.
....I've had a lot of coffee this morning, so please forgive me if I've got the wrong idea, but don't you preview sounds in the browser just by selecting the little headphone icon at the top of it? and then each sample you choose plays immediately before you drag it anywhere? I always go through my sample folders just tapping the down arrow so it plays each sample in the browser til I find the one I want to drag in and use. Is this what you're talking about? :) or has the caffeine just ruined my ability to understand... :mrgreen:
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Cezband wrote:
keppy wrote:also, i have always found it a pain in the ass that you can't preview the sounds within the browser.
....I've had a lot of coffee this morning, so please forgive me if I've got the wrong idea, but don't you preview sounds in the browser just by selecting the little headphone icon at the top of it?
you can preview samples like that, but have a try at previewing a Session Drums multi-mic Kick drum that way!

can't be done.

Also you can't use the Phat Conductors method for those presets, Ableton needs a previewing system for their drum presets

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks Angstrom, I knew I was missing something :)
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

akindo

Post by akindo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:59 pm

acatcalledanarchy wrote:http://vimeo.com/10599396 - 5 minutes into this tutorial is your answer...
Good video. But it seems to me this only works with audio files being dragged into a a track first. This can't be done with Drum Rack samples. So how do I go about loading all the Drum Rack samples that come with Live 8 into one big Drum Rack (or at least 128 worth of samples)?

Thanks for any help.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:10 pm

.....you then drag that sampler full of 128 hits into a drumrack slot

here is the be all and end all...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TO3z8Lt ... 9&index=28

though it takes a bit of setup, not really maybe 30 minutes, it saves days over your lifetime...i just control it with a crappy lil nanocontrol, but i find it fun it fun to get things looping then scroll hits as it plays, i made samplers like this for lots of stuff: perc, scratching, even vox bits, fx hits, anything

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 pm

OCDaveWilcox,

The 128s are pretty awesome, I like them, but I know what you're saying.

Here's to answer your original question, and what I do in this case (if I'm not using 128s)

Drop your sample onto drum rack, it creates an instance of Simpler (or Sampler) right?
Have your drum midi clip rocking.
Select the hot swap button not on the drum pad, but on the waveform of Simpler/Sampler

You shoot up to your library, just like you were talking -- but the trick you may have been missing is that you can use up/down arrows, and your enter key. This is way the hell faster than using your mouse.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5