Tune your drum sounds!... How to?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
boddhisattva007

Tune your drum sounds!... How to?

Post by boddhisattva007 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:08 am

I was wondering if anyone would like to share how they tune their drum sounds to fit their tracks. For example, can anyone suggestion an easy way to tune a kick drum, snare sound, etc..
I currently use Logics built in tuner to tune the kick drum to the root note of the scale I am working in and then go from there or I will use ultrabeat. In Reason/Record I am starting to experiment with Neptune, but in live there doesn't seem to be that many options. I was just wondering what other people use and if anyone has an easier workflow.

Thanks in advance,
B

simonlb

Re: Tune your drum sounds!... How to?

Post by simonlb » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:36 am

What sound source are you using for your drums - are you using samples or synthesising them?

I mostly synthesise kicks with either my Elektron MD or Operator, where it's very easy to adjust the frequency without losing the essence of the sound, however transposing samples is tricker territory, I'll look forward to seeing others' advice on it...

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Use the spectrum analyser.

Mouse over the frequency you want and it should show the 'note' of that frequency.
So for the sub-bass of a kick >
hold your mouse over the peak of the subbass and the root note should be displayed.

soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

marra

Post by marra » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Ben_Binary wrote:Image
man that looks cool

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:42 pm

and the best is, IT HELPS...!!!
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

stefski

Post by stefski » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:15 pm

simpli.cissimus wrote:and the best is, IT HELPS...!!!
And so does searching the forums! Like I did to get here. Thanks for this. Now to figure out a way to play a kick chromatically.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Clicking the little 'play' button on the Spectrum Analyzer maximises its window!!!!????? 8O 8O 8O

Thanks for that bruv, must have been dozing and missed that!!

...think I may use it slightly more now I can actually see it. :roll:

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:48 pm

Would be cool to have Ableton Live scanning the samples by request
and analyzing the pitch.
Then showing it in the browser beside the sample. :idea: :idea: :idea:

That would a great time saver... 8)

I added that for future feature already !!! :roll:
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:50 pm

I tune kicks by pitching them up two octaves, so they are in the "easy to hear properly" range.

Then you can easily pitch it around to see whether you want it to sat be on the root, dominant, or somewhere else (it's usually the root though). Obviously, when you are done you pitch it back two octaves down again ;)

It takes a couple of seconds maximum.
I could use the spectrum, but I generally find that holding shit and tapping "up" twice (to transpose up two octaves)is simply quicker, and I'm lazy.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Good advice there...

...but I'm surprised no-one suggested to use your ears.

Often it's better not to have every single percussive element play the root note - and forming power chords or even triads with your kicks/snares/toms/whatevers instead.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:03 pm

MPGK wrote:Good advice there...

...but I'm surprised no-one suggested to use your ears.

Often it's better not to have every single percussive element play the root note - and forming power chords or even triads with your kicks/snares/toms/whatevers instead.
+1...

Get modal ftw!

...Or try some jazz scales for sheer darkness...

NB: not everyone is lucky enough to have an ear for music so I can see how these devices and others like like 'mix in key' can help.

I'm just buzzin' at the lives big screen spectral anna! Would be even better if it were detachable!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

I was actually just coming writing to say I use my ears :) I just make it sound good to me, not worth the time to manually tune each drum IMO.

One thing I see a lot when mastering other people's tracks is that they've tuned the kick to be so close to the bassline, that the low end just becomes this mush of insubstatial bass. You can't differentiate the kick from the bassline anymore, so while they are technically in tune, it ends up making the track sound worse.

FWIW.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:46 pm

*bookmark*
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.