How to load .wav samples in Ableton 8?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
moinsestplus

How to load .wav samples in Ableton 8?

Post by moinsestplus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Hello everyone! I have a problem that I suppose this is the best place to post it! I just purchased Ableton Live 8 and I am satisfied...It is not so dificult like other music softwares and has great potentials!
However, I do not find HOW TO LOAD .wav files that I have purchased in a CD Format that includes .wav samples!
CD-ROM Features 555 Megabytes of WAV sample content:

336 Loops At 128 Bpm
425 Kick Drums
229 Clap Sounds
1500+ Percussive Sounds
322 Hihats,
158 Snare Drums
100+ Cymbal And Cymbal - Effect Sounds
227 Synth/tonal Sounds
P.S. I would prefer to show me the exact steps because I am a bit rookie in Ableton and I would like to know if there is a way to keep this samples into the program and not copy paste in the boxes of softwares from the CD ROM!

Please Help!
Thank you in advance and Greetings, Jerry!!!

buzby

Re: How to load .wav samples in Ableton 8?

Post by buzby » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:23 pm

hey man

welcome to the forum

you should be able to drag and drop wav files - and other music files ie mp3 aiff etc - directly into ableton

first move the files from the cd onto your computer and then from there drag and drop either from the folder or by navigating through the live browser on the left of the ableton screen view - click on the arrow below the "tap" button on the top left of the session or arrangement view - or use alt-cmd-b (for mac) as a keyboard shortcut to open or close this

might be a good idea for you to list what platform or equipment you are using so that people can see if they can help

hope this is what you need
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

moinsestplus

Post by moinsestplus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:40 pm

buzby wrote:hey man

welcome to the forum

you should be able to drag and drop wav files - and other music files ie mp3 aiff etc - directly into ableton

first move the files from the cd onto your computer and then from there drag and drop either from the folder or by navigating through the live browser on the left of the ableton screen view - click on the arrow below the "tap" button on the top left of the session or arrangement view - or use alt-cmd-b (for mac) as a keyboard shortcut to open or close this

might be a good idea for you to list what platform or equipment you are using so that people can see if they can help

hope this is what you need
That's what I thought at first place...drag and drop but I would prefer a more permanent way...like the soundswithih the libary...instead...and not drag and drop any time I want a sample! About the equipment I have not a professional one yet! Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit, Pentium 4, 2Gbs RAM, Core Duo-Desktop (later I will buy and a laptop)... :lol:

buzby

Post by buzby » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:53 pm

ok

errr not sure im quite getting what you mean

if you want to import the files to your library then

- load them into an ableton set

- then go into "file" at the top of the screen and choose "manage files" from the drop down menu

- on the right of the screen a side column will open which reads file management

- then click onto manage project

- then there is an export button at the button of the list of choices

this will put the samples into your live library ... is this what you mean ?

about the equipment list - just a suggestion - but if you write these details into your signature on your abe profile then it is a lot easier for people to see if they can help you and also you dont have to keep writing what your set up is

cheers
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:15 pm

or go to the folder of your music library (say, c:\users\davepermen\music\ableton library here), and there create a folder appropriately named, and put the files in there.

then they are in ableton live in the left pane in the library.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

moinsestplus

Post by moinsestplus » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:20 am

davepermen wrote:or go to the folder of your music library (say, c:\users\davepermen\music\ableton library here), and there create a folder appropriately named, and put the files in there.

Thank you ... I prefer your solution with no offence to the user above and yes indeed I will put my info in my profile since I am gonna be a regular user of this site!

moinsestplus

Post by moinsestplus » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:27 am

moinsestplus wrote:
davepermen wrote:or go to the folder of your music library (say, c:\users\davepermen\music\ableton library here), and there create a folder appropriately named, and put the files in there.

Thank you ... I prefer your solution with no offence to the user above and yes indeed I will put my info in my profile since I am gonna be a regular user of this site!

I forgot...when you mean C:...etc...it drives you firstly to "My Documents" where a "Ableton" Folder exists named :"Bug Reporting" which is empty...at least to me cause I haven't compose a track yet! Could you give me the exact path for Vista and Computer name i.e. Gerasimos? (like davepermen)
Thanx!!!!

NeoMetric

Post by NeoMetric » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:04 pm

you might not be there yet to quite understand this suggestion... then again maybe you are...

I have a Drum Rack set up FULL of drum samples. For example, inside the C1 note box in the drum rack, I have another sub instrument rack of 60 kick drum hits loaded into 60 simplers. I use the 'ruler' for that sub rack mapped to a midi controller knob so I can just cycle through and audition the kick I want in real time. This is set up the same for 60 snares and 60 hi hats.

This is how I 'load' in. But, you don't load your samples really in Live. No need. You just audition them and drag them from your file menu. That's it. Nothing fancy.
Virus Classic, Nord Lead 2, MPD32, Launchpad

ton

Post by ton » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:25 am

NeoMetric wrote:But, you don't load your samples really in Live. ... drag them from your file menu.
dragging from the file menu ~ loading.

curlsta

Post by curlsta » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Yo NeoMetric that's a pretty impressive set up!! I'm going to start building by own mega rack!!! Cheers dude!!

DESMADR3

Post by DESMADR3 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:32 am

old forum threads really do help. thanx guys =)
and imma build a megarack too :D

DSPI

Post by DSPI » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 am

Also, when you save a set, choose "collect all and save" from the menu and all the samples you've used are copied into that set's folder.