send/receive problem when device only open in Live

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
octopod

send/receive problem when device only open in Live

Post by octopod » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 am

I have a device that isn't working in Live, but works when loaded in the editor and I'm not sure if it's me doing something stupid or a bug. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make a simple patch with the same issue and the full patch requires lh_midiinout and a Mopho. Not a lot of point me posting it here unless someone else is willing to do some testing.

Basically I send a request for the current edit buffer sysex, receive that back from the Mopho and process it in js. The js handles the DSI packed sysex format, and outputs a list in the form ['---<param_id>-in', 0] for each param. This then gets sent to the corresponding control using a forward. This all works fine when the device is loaded into the Max editor. When I start a new Live set and add the device I see:

* My sysex being sent
* Device sysex being received
* The js working and outputting its list
* A print just before the forward shows everything is as I expect

Then nothing happens :/ Exactly the same output up to this point when loaded in the Max editor except the sent data is received.

When I tweak one of the Mopho knobs another section of code handles the NPRN decoding and creates the same sort of list to the one the js creates. This all works fine via a forward so it's not like the receive isn't setup.

So I'm confused and wondering if this is a bug or something I'm doing wrong. Anyone seen similar weirdness?

octopod

Re: send/receive problem when device only open in Live

Post by octopod » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:25 am

OK, figured it out, better debugging prints showed the --- coming from the js wasn't being substituted. I needed to send just the param_id from the js, then use a 'sprintf ---%s-in' to create the receive name. Same technique I was using elsewhere in the patch.

acatcalledanarchy

Re: send/receive problem when device only open in Live

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Wed May 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi Octopod

I'm awaiting delivery of my Mopho Keyboard tomorrow, (happy days!) In the meantime I would be very happy if I could have a look at your Max patch... :)

Peace, love and flowers,
Once is curiousity, twice is fun, three times is an addiction...