I wish I could code iPhone Apps

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
gjm

I wish I could code iPhone Apps

Post by gjm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:21 pm

I would have 3 business/utility Apps I would make that I am sure others would use (well maybe). I got in touch with one company about a couple of logical features missing on their app. They said the ideas sounded good but 2 months later there is no update. They were bonehead omissions that kinda missed a major point of the actual app. :evil:

I'm an iCoholic. My goal is to run as much of my business from an iDevice. Someone needs to make an iSuggestion clearing house where those who CAN code Apps check in to see suggestions... or something. I dunno. The app store is ritarded when trying to find specific use apps. Also, there is nowhere to contact dev's who might be on the look for something. iLol.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

crumhorn

Re: I wish I could code iPhone Apps

Post by crumhorn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:28 pm

gjm wrote:Someone needs to make an iSuggestion clearing house
iWish
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 pm

iShrug

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:32 pm

iDo :wink:

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:38 pm

8O wrote:iDo :wink:
iJealous :cry:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:41 pm

Read an interesting article recently - I'll see if I can find it again - about the economics of writing apps... basically, it's totally uneconomic, in the case of music apps you do it for the love of it... for business apps, some manager gets it into their head that they must have a company app, but the sums rarely come close to adding up...

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:54 pm

8O wrote:Read an interesting article recently - I'll see if I can find it again - about the economics of writing apps... basically, it's totally uneconomic, in the case of music apps you do it for the love of it... for business apps, some manager gets it into their head that they must have a company app, but the sums rarely come close to adding up...
Will read if you find it... the economics thing seems bizarre to me. I would have no problem paying $200.00 for a simple invoicing app that made sense, it does not have to be $6.99 or whatever. Simple economics says that if I look at the time it takes me to do all of my invoicing now and multiply it by target hourly rate It would more than pay for itself in the first week of the first quarter. I know there is kinda of a fear about a 'race to the bottom' in terms of pricing apps in the hope that volume numbers fall on your side, but any serious time saving or system improving app is worth its weight in gold... so to speak.

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Here you go - http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/b ... worse.html - it's a good read, but worth reading the comments too, to get a bit more of a balance with the numbers...

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:58 am

Just do it yourself :) I started learning objective C last month and just pushed out my first app to a few beta testers today. Quit posting here and start doing it, costs you $99 bucks + some frustration and time.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:04 pm

My goal is to run as much of my business from an iDevice.
Guess your plan is to always be small time.

Enterprises and Apple will never mix.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:32 pm

timothyallan wrote:Just do it yourself :) I started learning objective C last month and just pushed out my first app to a few beta testers today. Quit posting here and start doing it, costs you $99 bucks + some frustration and time.
Yeah, but you were a programmer for what, 11 years earlier too though right? Max 4 Live does my head in, too bad as I'd love to be good enough to do my own iOS app.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:43 pm

yeah, but I had to start from square 1 with this. Granted, the programming concepts are similar to other languages/OS's so I'd have a head start in that respect. If you have the headspace for it, it's just like learning a 'real' language.

Programming isn't for everyone though, but I consider it a lot like making music. You have a end result you can imagine, a certain toolset you can use, and a billion combinations of things to put things together in order to get there. They're both just big problem solving puzzles for me... which is interesting, because in real life I fcking hate puzzles :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:05 am

timothyallan wrote:Programming isn't for everyone though, but I consider it a lot like making music.
I have so many friends who compare it to music, that I feel that I'm missing something so obvious. It's like night and day from music for me! :) Wish I was better at it, but it just does my head in, no patience for it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:57 am

I don't know that's it's comparable to making music so much as it's comparable to any creative endeavor. Depending on the kind of programming you are doing, of course. :P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:18 am

timothyallan wrote:Just do it yourself :) I started learning objective C last month and just pushed out my first app to a few beta testers today. Quit posting here and start doing it, costs you $99 bucks + some frustration and time.
:lol: I find it hard to operate my iPod Touch and use the remote for the TV... It would not make economic or even creative sense for me to even imagine for one sec that it would be advantageous to learn to code my own apps. Now give me a tree and a few power tools and things would be different :D