Maschine 1.6 Beta out now!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nowtime

Re: Maschine 1.6 Beta out now!

Post by nowtime » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Really looking forward to the head-to-head Maschine vs. Tempest comparisons and threads this summer. It's gonna be a close call what with Tempest's kickass analog drum synthesis vs. Maschine's hard/software 1-2 punch combo workflow.

In regards to Live Looping, I am mildly dissappointed that first-loop-sets-the-tempo is not included in Maschine's workflow.

And I am AMAZED that it is not included with the Tempest. This seems like a no-brainer for modern drum machines. There is NO better way to start a new drum part than straight-through-the-gonads into a BPM calculator and auto-start sequencer.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:44 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
delicioso wrote:and Maschine wasn't designed for that kind of live looping anyway.
That's what I thought. Just making sure.

I think we've gotten our signals crossed on other bits, though:

It seems like a great production tool, and perfect for DJs who are preRecording all their samples and such, and can then start manipulating those in a live environment. I get that part.

It would be interesting if NI ever got into the serious live looping business with a piece of hardware like Maschine.

Imagine all the great benefits of Maschine, but with full audio I/O capability as part of the hardware. The ability to do sample loop launching like Live. We've all seen hardware loopers like those produced by Boss. Cool stuff, but incredibly limited in sample manipulation. That's where Maschine 2.0 would come in... All those plugs as part of the hardware. Oh my. :P

I currenly havre my Tracktor scratch connected with Live to my DJ rig such that I could do sampling in Live into clips (as well as play through Live fx from the sends on my DJM-800) - wouldnt be a big deal to add stutter edit, finger etc or similar. I guess with an S4 you have loop sampling and replay + some quite useful mangling fx.

Maschine does seem a tastey addition - especially if you use something like Kore to host racks of plugins in maschine. :)
(Maschine is definately on my shopping consideration list for this year).
Nothing to see here - move along!

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 am

if maschine can't sequence beats at differing tempos and string them together in a song by the time tempest comes out tempest will surely win in that regard, since mpcs can already do it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:37 am

I've seen a few Tempest vs Maschine comments now....

Do you guys really think it's a T vs. M thing?

Because they seem like totally different beasts to me.

Both make beats, but that's where the similarity seems to end.

8O
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:01 am

LSZ, the net will never get tired of VS. threads. Tempest costs 2,000 bucks, Maschine 600....one is analog, the other digital. In those senses, they are completely different. But, they both are drum boxes and targeted at people like us, sooooo, we'll hear no end of the VS debate, I'm sure.

A better matchup is Maschine VS. this new Arturia drum hardware/software combo device. But nobody seems to really care about Arturia.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:15 pm

mholloway wrote:A better matchup is Maschine VS. this new Arturia drum hardware/software combo device. But nobody seems to really care about Arturia.
Although Arturia Spark is attempting to jump on the dedicated controller bandwagon after Maschine's success, it's primarily a drum synth so other than the software/hardware hybrid factor, it might make more sense to compare it to Tempest or Machinedrum although I'm not too impressed with what I've seen of it so far. It doesn't seem even remotely close to being as well thought out as Maschine in terms of workflow and integration as it looks like it still requires you to use the mouse. And there's a picture floating around of Spark where the software GUI just mirrors the controller, which doesn't make much sense to me.

x0b

Post by x0b » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:30 pm

new update is great but still a few annoying niggles, you can't browse presets straight away for one, you have to save them first as your 'favourite' presets :roll:

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:17 pm

x0b wrote:new update is great but still a few annoying niggles, you can't browse presets straight away for one, you have to save them first as your 'favourite' presets :roll:
You're obviously talking about the hardware because you can browse presets straight away on Maschine, no different than any other plugin host. What other software has a dedicated controller with integration like Maschine that can even dream of browsing plugin presets from the hardware anyway?

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Mads posted the reason for this on the public beta sub forum. Basically it was either this, a broken batch import or nothing.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:24 pm

humnumb wrote:What other software has a dedicated controller with integration like Maschine that can even dream of browsing plugin presets from the hardware anyway?
Kore? ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 pm

Khazul wrote:
humnumb wrote:What other software has a dedicated controller with integration like Maschine that can even dream of browsing plugin presets from the hardware anyway?
Kore? ;)
Yeah, for NI software but any third party plugin presets need to be imported first. I'm sure NI is doing things right and it will get implemented when it's ready instead of rushing half-baked jobs.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:23 am

Still can't import fxbs in maschine though. I can't load the drum kits for Attack for example. Mads said they're workig on something that's right around the corner so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:39 am

Having alot of fun with this right now....too much to get anything done.

-Open a new project
-Make a new drum kit
-Throw in a couple of synths
-Tweak and noodle around
-Record tweaks in patterns
-Get inspired to do something else
-Save and repeat
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 pm

humnumb wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Does Maschine do live looping?
Yup. To record live audio and play it back immediately after recording in sync, enable Input on all Sounds of an empty Group and choose your sampling source; now put a note on the first step of the Pattern for each Sound. In the Record Tab, choose sync-mode and select 1 bar (or any other length you wish to record). If you record to a Sound now, your recording will be looped right after the first bar. This allows you to record up to 16 separate Loops, all in sync to the other Groups. Make sure the Sound is in oneshot mode.
Would a workaround for this not quite working as expected be to physically play in the audio for twice as long as the intended loop? Would that work?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:03 pm

You can now browse plugin presets from the Maschine hardware even without having to save as a module first:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=131676