which of these 3 monitor stands + mopads?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nowtime

which of these 3 monitor stands + mopads?

Post by nowtime » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:07 pm

Would love to spend next to nothing, and you can keep buying more expensive.

spend a $100 on these cheap On-Stage adjustable?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MonitorStd/

$150 on these lightweight Argosy 42"?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS42/

or $180 on these sand-filled Raxxess 42"?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ERSS42/

and should I spend $40 on Mopads?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MoPAD

It would make sense, of course to get the sand filled ones but then, with the Mopads, I am spending $220 when I really didn't want to spend even $100. I have a lousy room for mixing and no room conditioning yet. But for the last 6 months I've had my Event 20/20bas stacked ontop of each other on the floor vaguely pointing toward me. :oops:
It's time to upgrade. It's always better to spend more now, than having to buy again sooner/later to upgrade to pro quality, I know, but DAMN this shit costs money.

glenn303

Re: which of these 3 monitor stands + mopads?

Post by glenn303 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:38 pm

I have the first one you mentioned (100.00) and the Mopads, no complaints so far.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:31 am

These Ultimate Supports look pretty cool ($250)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS90USS/

do you think the "included acoustic foam pads" would do the same deed as a Mopad?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:33 am

40 for some foam blocks? :lol:

could you please transfer 20 for this mail? it still safes 20...
Last edited by 3phase on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:10 am

You can get the On-stage ones for $50(pr)... Lookout for a deal if you can.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:33 am

A friend made some badass custom stands, sandfilled, for pocket money. Why not do that? Makes a great project and much more satisfying too.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:29 am

muthafunka wrote:A friend made some badass custom stands, sandfilled, for pocket money. Why not do that? Makes a great project and much more satisfying too.
4" pvc and toilet flanges FTW!

esky

Post by esky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 am

Number 2 or 3 and a pair of Recoils fitting to your speakers. Wobbly stands are shit and cheap foam does no decoupling...
And consequently buy a pair of vovox cables to connect your monitors (i have also Event 20/20's, the cables are my best investment in equipment for years).

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:55 pm

esky wrote:Number 2 or 3 and a pair of Recoils fitting to your speakers. Wobbly stands are shit and cheap foam does no decoupling...
And consequently buy a pair of vovox cables to connect your monitors (i have also Event 20/20's, the cables are my best investment in equipment for years).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you guys are really funny..

allready developed ableton ears?

mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

esky

Post by esky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Thank you for your objective contribution to this theme, you are as usual a great help... :roll:

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:47 pm

3phase wrote:
esky wrote:Number 2 or 3 and a pair of Recoils fitting to your speakers. Wobbly stands are shit and cheap foam does no decoupling...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you guys are really funny..

allready developed ableton ears?

yoyodyne

Post by yoyodyne » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:36 pm

I just bought the Raxess stands for my Event ASP8's. If the 20/20's are as huge as these 8's are you will want to get the shorter 36 inch stands because you want the tweeters at your ear height.

DIY is the def the budget way to go - plenty of plans on the net. Having no tools or skills I went with the Raxess. Got mine from Sweetwater. One of the stands was crooked and missing 4 holes. They sent me another pair and a FedEx slip for the fubared set at no cost. I heart Sweetwater.

The "instructions" say to "obtain a 4 mil poly bag" for the sand. Good luck finding 4 x 34 inch poly bags anywhere! The guys at Raxess didn't even know where to get them. I thought about filling freezer bags and stuffing them in, but the idea is completely fill the space, so I just put some silicone caulk around the outside of the column/base join to (I hope) avoid leakage.

As for the sand - forget Ace or Lowes - go to a concrete supply place and get pure silica sandblasting sand. The playground sand at the hardware store is moist and has dirt in it. The silica sand came in a 100 lb (!!) bag for $12. It took half a bag to fill the stands.

I also got the Mopads. Yeah they're just cut foam slabs but they do help the sound and they can angle the speakers if you need to. They are overpriced but way cheaper than the other speaker decoupler things somebody suggested (which themselves are just foam slabs with a steel plate in them).

S0 don't stress about the Mopads, you can always add them later. Just get those Events off the floor, man!

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm going with the Raxess. I need 42" because I am standing not sitting. I will pass on the Mopads (thanks 3phase) and try to get some generic foam, hopefully it will do the trick.

Thanks yoyo for your tips on the Raxess.

Next step will be monitor shopping 8O

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:21 pm

OK what about these K&M adjustable steel monitor stands, can anyone see any cons with these? Adjustable would be great in case one day I decide to sit down while producing.

$210 delivered
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... nitor.html

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:16 am

nowtime wrote:I will pass on the Mopads (thanks 3phase) and try to get some generic foam, hopefully it will do the trick.

If your stands have a reasonable mass then you don't need foam. blu-tack (or similar) will couple the monitors and stands, any decent stand should have a spiked bass to allow it to couple to the floor through carpet etc, which should result in a nice inert system, the ideal situation for any speaker.

The idea behind foam isolators is to decouple the monitor from a resonant surface, like for eg. a desk.
Sand filled stands shouldn't resonate.