Black eyed peas, hot, or sell out.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
C.817

Black eyed peas, hot, or sell out.

Post by C.817 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 pm

I already formed my opinion sticking to my hip hop roots, as the roots have, but do u feel as if these guys r trend setters or just getting paid Justin Bieber style. What the dill pickle yo.
Mac pro i7

beats me

Re: Black eyed peas, hot, or sell out.

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm

I think they are trend setters but at this point that trend has nothing to do with music and everything to do with technology and marketing.

cacti

Post by cacti » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:22 pm

The Black Eyed Peas are AWFUL.

/thread.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:30 pm

what he said ^^^^^
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:37 pm

they sold out a decade ago.

wow...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

C.817

Post by C.817 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:53 pm

snowed in and bored I agree, bad when my girls kid asks why dont you listen to them I replied I did before they sold out
Mac pro i7

C.817

Post by C.817 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Plus my friends like I want to make an electro hip hop group like Black eyed peas, we dont talk anymore. ha ha
Mac pro i7

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:06 pm

they got super cheseball when Fergie joined. when they renamed the song "Let's Get Retarded" to "Let's Get It Started", that's literally selling out. change the art to make money.

an a side note, they make f-ing awful music. compare Behind the Front and Bridging the Gap to anything they put out since. there's so much shit out these days I guess they just blend in to the music scene. I find ALL the electro hip hop stuff to be nauseating (hopefully there's a track or three I'd like.)

this kinda feels like trying to explain to my mother in law that I thought U2 sold out when Rattle and Hum was released. she loves some of their new stuff, can't understand why I don't like it. "they're just different now, don't like the new sound."
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ChrisIhao

Post by ChrisIhao » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:15 am

If dirt is good, black eyed peas is not dirt.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:18 am

scutheotaku wrote: Yeah, well changing that title may have been "iffy" but it certainly isn't selling out. Everybody's got to make money, and if they thought that leaving it as the original title would get them a bad press (which it did, before the song was even out) and they wanted to avoid that, then that's their prerogative.
No, it ACTUALLY IS the EXACT definition of selling out. Re-read and ponder:
Tone Deft wrote:when they renamed the song "Let's Get Retarded" to "Let's Get It Started", that's literally selling out. change the art to make money.
You are correct though, it is their prerogative to sell out.

That said, who knows what any of us would do in that situation. My experience is those kind of conversations go something like this:

Label to artist: "Hey Artist, here is the deal, we have 500,000 records on order from all of our clients, Wal-Mart says they will order 250,000 but only if you guys get rid of the song named "Let's Get Retarded" because they don't want to offend anyone."
Artist to themselves: "Hmmm 250,000 x $4 = $1,000,000, damn that's a lot of money. Hmmm, I don't want my label to be bummed with me, I want them to push my record. I also don't want to offend anyone. I think I know what to do."

I am not justifying the B.E.P. I am not a fan. In fact, I thought their first album was a blatant attempt to sound like Tribe/De La/Native Tongues, etc and didn't like it either.

That said, these situations are very grey, and I have sat in on many of them (not that huge though) and it's very rarely analyzed as an art vs. commerce thing (even though when you simplify as above - that is in essence what it is)
Last edited by contakt321 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 am

C.817 wrote:I already formed my opinion sticking to my hip hop roots, as the roots have, but do u feel as if these guys r trend setters or just getting paid Justin Bieber style. What the dill pickle yo.

Pre Fergie Black Eyed Peas were hot.

Everything else they did, was and is commercial gimmick BS, but I'm broke and they're rich.

So what do I know?????
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:37 am

btw I hope we ALL get the chance to sell out one day.

you guys can talk shit about me allllll day long while I'm out lounging on the yacht in Monaco.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

intensemojo

Post by intensemojo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:28 am

Not sure on the selling out part, business is business. What I will comment is their horrible music, crappy repetitive lyrics and okay beats.

Not a fan at all.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:39 am

google "did the Black Eyed Peas sellout" there are sellout lists of all time and they make the cut often.

SNL, pop culture has labeled them as sellouts.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/2360/saturday ... ed-peas-ad
they even clowned the music right. weak ass beats.

their commercial for Target:
http://www.slate.com/id/2221007/

Doritos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEOdfYscuA

Direct TV:
http://media.gunaxin.com/whats-with-the ... cial/32344

an article on The Black Eyed Peas - The Most Commercial Band In America
http://www.commercialalert.org/news/arc ... in-america

"“I consider us a brand. A brand always has stylized decks, from colors to fonts. Here’s our demographic. Here’s the reach. Here’s the potential. Here’s how the consumer will benefit from the collaboration.”

- will.i.am

post links that show the contrary. ANYONE that shares your opinion about them not selling out.

leisuremuffin would have a fucking field day with this thread. holy #$*(
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:22 am

how can any one not consider anything played on the top 40 stations not to be sell out music.
i thought this is something we all agreed upon here. its all the same mindless shit that sounds just like the mindless shit played one song prior to the song that is currently being played on the shit top 40 stations.

i think most people realize this after they reach the age of 12.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.