Any Pioneer EFX users?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mister36

Any Pioneer EFX users?

Post by Mister36 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58 pm

I love mine and although I made a big switch from hardware to software recently, it is one of th hardware devices I didn't want to part with.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea as to what is different about its delay. I honestly can't for the life of me get any delay plugins to work and respond exactly how the EFX's does.

Hopefully users of it will know what I mean and I won't just sound crazy. :P

Khazul

Re: Any Pioneer EFX users?

Post by Khazul » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Not used the EFX - whats special about it vs the regular delay on a DJM-800 say?
Nothing to see here - move along!

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:29 pm

Not used the DJM-800, so I can't actually comment about that (though I wouldn't be surprised if it was very similar).

But the main difference between the EFX delay and the various delay plugins I've tried is the response (not too mention the sound, but that's a different issue). What I mean by the response sounds like a really "noobish" thing but it's the only way I can think to explain it. It's basically that switching on the EFX delay will create a very different wet sound to switching on any of the others I've tried at exactly the same time in the same bar with the exact same settings.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 pm

OK - I guess they echo/delay might be the same then as I would guess the various EFX models are all based upon the same fx dsp code as used in the recent mixers with additional features etc.

Its probably the smearing from it never quite being in sync, also it does appear to have a tiny bit of bandwidth restricition on its output (but not really what i would call filtering but not in the feedback loop - for the echo at least).

Anyway - never seemed even slightly special to me (but useful combined with the filter) - maybe the one on the EFX series stuff is actually quite different? :)

I do wonder if the delay actually operates at a lower bit depth - perhpas to save memory? Sounds like it might, in which case redux before a ableton delay, then change the percent offset on sync mode. Should sound similar with the right feedback setting.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Maybe it is just different. But I don't really mean to say that it's a special delay. It is a pretty basic delay really. It just acts/performs/responds/reacts/works/behaves differently. I do think the EFX delay actually sounds more "solid" and less cold but that's not really what I mean here.
Am I wrong to expect a basic delay plugin to cause the same effected sound as the EFX delay when turning on with the exact same settings?

5id

Post by 5id » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:14 am

Try these delays http://www.extendlive.com/?p=19
If you open up the racks in these delays you will get a better idea of how to get that sound you are looking for.
Xone:DB4, MBP, and a lovely set of one's n' two's