which of these 3 monitor stands + mopads?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yoyodyne

Re: which of these 3 monitor stands + mopads?

Post by yoyodyne » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:09 am

Well damn. Stupid Mopads. Also these stands have rubber nubbin feet, not spikes. I should get spikes? Where do you get spikes?

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:33 am

twisted-space wrote:
nowtime wrote:I will pass on the Mopads (thanks 3phase) and try to get some generic foam, hopefully it will do the trick.

If your stands have a reasonable mass then you don't need foam. blu-tack (or similar) will couple the monitors and stands, any decent stand should have a spiked bass to allow it to couple to the floor through carpet etc, which should result in a nice inert system, the ideal situation for any speaker.

The idea behind foam isolators is to decouple the monitor from a resonant surface, like for eg. a desk.
Sand filled stands shouldn't resonate.

thanks twisted, that's really helpful. do you think the large round disk at the bottom of these stands would suffice to create the same quality of inertness that spikes would?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... nitor.html

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:05 am

I doubt it, especially not if it's on a carpet. TBH they don't look all that inert or rigid.
Something like that would be better IMHO, or this If you really need it to be height adjustable.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:45 am

yoyodyne wrote:Well damn. Stupid Mopads. Also these stands have rubber nubbin feet, not spikes. I should get spikes? Where do you get spikes?

spikes are bullshit too.. only flexible materials do decoupling it dont matters for the vibration if it travles thru a pin point or a flat surface
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:59 am

twisted-space wrote:
nowtime wrote:I will pass on the Mopads (thanks 3phase) and try to get some generic foam, hopefully it will do the trick.

If your stands have a reasonable mass then you don't need foam. blu-tack (or similar) will couple the monitors and stands, any decent stand should have a spiked bass to allow it to couple to the floor through carpet etc, which should result in a nice inert system, the ideal situation for any speaker.

The idea behind foam isolators is to decouple the monitor from a resonant surface, like for eg. a desk.

decoupling matters most for bassheavy speakers.. i doubt that it will do anything in frequency rages above 50 hz..
at least when the decoupling is calculated wright and has a resonance frequencie well below 5 Hz

in the lowest register good decoupled subs or bassheavy cabinets give a felt octave extra... .. good decoupling cant be done with standard foams .. you need permanent elastic stuff with a defined hardness and you have to calculate the decoupling surface acording to the weight..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:42 am

Whoa. It appears monitoring is no simple business. I knew that though.

What are "industry" standard monitor accessories for the bedroom studio? I'm not going to be mixing Beyonce here (but you never know!)

What are smart ways to cut corners to keep from spending too much cash where it doesn't count?

esky

Post by esky » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:55 am

You can also go to gearslutz.com and make a search. There you'll find some more ideas for your need...

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:52 am

twisted-space wrote:If your stands have a reasonable mass then you don't need foam. blu-tack (or similar) will couple the monitors and stands, any decent stand should have a spiked bass to allow it to couple to the floor through carpet etc, which should result in a nice inert system, the ideal situation for any speaker.

3phase wrote:spikes are bullshit too.. only flexible materials do decoupling it dont matters for the vibration if it travles thru a pin point or a flat surface

If you re-read my post carefully, you'll see that I don't suggest that spikes de-couple anything. In fact I say quite the opposite.
nowtime wrote:What are "industry" standard monitor accessories for the bedroom studio? I'm not going to be mixing Beyonce here (but you never know!)

What are smart ways to cut corners to keep from spending too much cash where it doesn't count?
The ideal method of supporting a monitor is a rigid, high mass (think sand filled) stand that brings the monitor up to ear level. The stand should have some way to level it, so adjustable feet for a solid floor or spikes for carpet (spikes will work on a solid floor too). That's all you should need.

All the mopad/foam/recoil stabilizer type things are compromises for non ideal situations, like having to put your monitors on a desk or meter brigde etc. It's even possible that they are expensive gimmicks to seperate you from your money.