Mac App Store musings

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Digital_Damage

Re: Mac App Store musings

Post by Digital_Damage » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:29 pm

beats me wrote:
scutheotaku wrote:So, Apple reinvented the Internet? But all connected with one interface...like Steam? What's cool about this?
Assuming you may have a lot of music related software on your computer. Imagine if all those purchases by different developers were made from one application where you could redownload those purchases to any computer you have from that application and more importantly all updates would also be available from that one application.

This is as opposed to using any number methods tracking down updates depending on the developer and using whatever convoluted method they may impose to prove you should have access to the update.

Also all those purchases are made with a single click and tied to one account.

THAT is what is cool.
Digital River has been doing this for a decade...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 pm

You could take everyone who has offered a similar service to date (including Intel's SHIT app store), combine their profits, and they would probably not add up to what Apple has made so far since launch.

:lol:

Translation? Nobody gives a shit.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 pm

scutheotaku wrote: I'm not saying that the Mac app store will be bad or anything, it's just not as revolutionary or original as everyone is saying.

I think the scale of which they are doing it is the revolutionary part. Even Microsoft is considering selling Office through the Mac App store.

The big news this week I read about Android is Google is rolling out a market place for people to buy apps. WTF? How long has Android been around and this concept is just now happening?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 am

There's a shit load of reasons why the Apple story is revolutionary. Read any number of PC based mags/blogs and even those guys are calling it a watershed moment.

Simple fact that it's been included as part of the OS?

Revolutionary.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:28 am

scutheotaku wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:You could take everyone who has offered a similar service to date (including Intel's SHIT app store), combine their profits, and they would probably not add up to what Apple has made so far since launch.

Translation? Nobody gives a shit.
Doubt it. Steam makes, according to "leaked" sales figures, around $73 million a month, and that was during a slow month (last October). That's in games alone.

One thing though - Apple IS good at "reinventing the wheel." And I mean that in a good way. Hardly any major thing Apple does is original, but they're very good at making existing things better and setting standards. They didn't make the first MP3 players, but iPods made them a huge market and set a standard that other companies needed to meet.
LoopStationZebra wrote:There's a shit load of reasons why the Apple story is revolutionary. Read any number of PC based mags/blogs and even those guys are calling it a watershed moment.

Simple fact that it's been included as part of the OS?

Revolutionary.

Avoiding a 10 minute download doesn't make it revolutionary :P

It does, though. And Apple's stock jumped significantly the minute this was announced. :P

$73mil a month? Oh. Don't know about that.... A billion dollar a year app site? No way.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 am

I'll let LSZ be the bad Apple cop on this one and I'll be the good Apple cop.

I'll concede that not everything Apple has released was 100% their idea but they're supreme at improving what is already out there as well as coming up with their own ideas.

When the Mac App Store was launched I was kind of meh soon after. But probably a few times a week I check it out and sometimes make purchases of things I never would have even thought of if I didn't trip across it. And now when I think of something I might want the first place I check is the Mac App Store.

This is also gold for developers. For apps that already existed before the App Store they typically sell their app for cheaper on the App Store but make up for it by far based on volume from the huge customer exposure, and I'm including the cut Apple takes. There's reports of apps that have been around for years that even after reducing the price and subtracting Apple's cut made more money in 2 weeks of being in the app store than they made in the entire last year. Other then convenience this is also partially do to the assumption that Apple insists on some kind of standards and quality control coupled with in your face user reviews that really pushes developers to fix their shit when it doesn't work.

It's a win for everybody.

Now back to LSZ with some pithy comments.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 am

Amount of times I'd even heard of the Intel store prior to this thread? 0

beats, if you run across a decent pic viewer/slideshow app please let me know.

All simple image viewers for the MacOS since forever? SHIT.

And I've seen them all.

Christ. Is it so fucking hard to create a simple image viewer? Where you can get a screen of thumbnail shots? Then open up one of those thumbnails into full screen? Then simply hit your spacebar and advance through consecutive images? Or use your arrow keys? Backwards and forwards? And hit escape to take you back to thumbnail view? Or list view?

I'm fucking telling you, it doesn't fucking exist. All devs find a way to FUCK IT UP. Like you can get thumbnails but once you open an image you can't cycle thru without going back to the FUCKING THUMBNAILS. :x Or you have to enter slideshow mode via a roundabout series of steps.
:x :x :x :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:52 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Amount of times I'd even heard of the Intel store prior to this thread? 0

beats, if you run across a decent pic viewer/slideshow app please let me know.

All simple image viewers for the MacOS since forever? SHIT.

And I've seen them all.

Christ. Is it so fucking hard to create a simple image viewer? Where you can get a screen of thumbnail shots? Then open up one of those thumbnails into full screen? Then simply hit your spacebar and advance through consecutive images? Or use your arrow keys? Backwards and forwards? And hit escape to take you back to thumbnail view? Or list view?

I'm fucking telling you, it doesn't fucking exist. All devs find a way to FUCK IT UP. Like you can get thumbnails but once you open an image you can't cycle thru without going back to the FUCKING THUMBNAILS. :x Or you have to enter slideshow mode via a roundabout series of steps.
I might get swatted on the nose with a newspaper for this, but iPhoto? *ducks*

And even I that jizzes all over the Apple alter never saw Macs as a gaming computer but when I saw Bioshock appear in the app store I was 8O

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm

beats me wrote:iPhoto?

Okay. Excellent example.

File list on the left. Check.
Nice thumbnail viewing on the right. Check.
Double click on a thumbnail to open the image. Check.
Image DOES NOT FUCKING OPEN FULL SCREEN AND THERE'S NO OPTION TO MAKE IT DO SO. Motherfucking CHECK!!!!!!

:x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Photoviewer devs for the Mac are fucking retarded.

There's 856,968 image apps for the PC that can not only do these most basic of functions I'm asking for, but give you just about every single flexibility option under the sun.

ACDSee is but one. It's all I use on my PCs and it's fucking excellent.

Every time someone tells me about a viewer I should check out, I do so immediately. Then, Lo and Behold, there's always some fucked up bit about it that isn't what I'm after at all....

And, believe me, this isn't like the iPad MIDI shit....where I'm the only asshole out there asking the hard questions. Go on any Mac forum and they are REPLETE with people asking for a simple image/slideshow app.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 pm

:x :x :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:22 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote::x :x :x
I think I'm too fixated on Spartacus because that just made me think of 3 dudes sitting next to each other on a public shitter. My boss is still 8O about the slave in charge of the ass wiping stick which he simply just dips in a bucket of water before handing it to the next patron.

Anyhow, do you have the latest version of iPhoto? I don't but maybe that might have some of the features you are looking for.

And where can you get that? AT THE MOTHERFUCKING MAC APP STORE ALREADY ON YOUR COMPUTER. :) :x

steko

Post by steko » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:47 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Christ. Is it so fucking hard to create a simple image viewer? Where you can get a screen of thumbnail shots? Then open up one of those thumbnails into full screen? Then simply hit your spacebar and advance through consecutive images? Or use your arrow keys? Backwards and forwards? And hit escape to take you back to thumbnail view? Or list view?

Am I missing something? Why not:

Highlight Pics in Finder - Cmd-alt-Y for fullscreen QuickLook (or just Space for smaller window) then Cmd-Return for index - then arrows to move & Return to watch single Pic in fullscreen (& Cmd-Return again to switch back to index)? You can start & stop slideshow with space.

Con: doesn't work with folders…

Edit: Cmd-alt-Y = german keyboard layout - Cmd-alt-Z = U.S. keyboard
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:53 pm

steko wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Christ. Is it so fucking hard to create a simple image viewer? Where you can get a screen of thumbnail shots? Then open up one of those thumbnails into full screen? Then simply hit your spacebar and advance through consecutive images? Or use your arrow keys? Backwards and forwards? And hit escape to take you back to thumbnail view? Or list view?

Am I missing something? Why not:

Highlight Pics in Finder - Cmd-alt-Y for fullscreen QuickLook (or just Space for smaller window) then Cmd-Return for index - then arrows to move & Return to watch single Pic in fullscreen (& Cmd-Return again to switch back to index)? You can start & stop slideshow with space.

Con: doesn't work with folders…

Edit: Cmd-alt-Y = german keyboard layout - Cmd-alt-Z = U.S. keyboard

Steko, you know I love you. But that method is as crap as any other. I cannot simply doubleclick a thumbnail and have it pop up fullscreen, then advance and rewind via keys. Can. Not. Do. It.

I don't want to do the finger dance after I bring an image up. It defeats the most basic of functions that are available in just about every fucking PC based image viewer.

AGAIN>

1. Double click on a thumbnail.
2. Image goes fullscreen.
3. Advance and rewind via keys - arrows, spacebar, backbutton, etc.

That is so MINDNUMBINGLY FUCKING SIMPLE in it's execution, yet I cannot find a single Mac image viewer app that does it.

If iPhoot does that - WITHOUT ANY FUCKING FINGER DANCE OF ALT/COMMAND/F/ or whatever, then please show me.

If any program can do what I'm after, then please show me.

:x :lol: :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:56 pm

And I don't want a thumbnail view. Then open an image. Then have to select SLIDESHOW.

omfg

O. M. F. G.

O M F G

I'll tell ya, Graphic Converter - years ago - used to do exactly what I'm after. But then they added so much SHIT to that program that it's become little more than a wretched poor man's Photoshop.