get rid of EQ3

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:34 pm

eq3 sounds different of eq4 and it uses a much more complex filter. if you like it use it, if not leave it. i use both together quite often.

and: watch out for the combination of eq 3 or 4 with the new saturator and or compressor II. there you have your overdriving warm distorting EQ analog sytle

best, Robert

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:20 pm

Hi Kas,

"Placing filters in series isn´t quite the same as one bigger one; the feedback loop is different making the phases different. If I understand the manual correctly eq3 isn´t meant to sound as transparent as possible either."

thats right, but if you try to build an 48dB filter with one feedback loop arround using the common algorithms, you will never get it stable. a common way is to chain smaller filters.

kind regards,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

Kas.

Post by Kas. » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:30 am

Matthias wrote: thats right, but if you try to build an 48dB filter with one feedback loop arround using the common algorithms, you will never get it stable. a common way is to chain smaller filters.
Thanks, Matthias, I will look into this in more detail soon. Mind you; I certainly wasn´t planning to use feedbackloops in Live for this purpose!

Would you say that that within modular systems the inclusion of overdrive/saturation type waveshapers within the construction would increase or decrease my chances of getting something like that stable? Would there even be benefits to such a simple design?