seems like not a lot of movie composer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dolphie

seems like not a lot of movie composer

Post by dolphie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:44 am

seems like there is not allot of people using able ton live as a movie score app or more classic stiles
or am i wrong

mihai

Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer

Post by mihai » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:51 am

not sure how many people but i handle film scoring in live from time to time.

dolphie

Post by dolphie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:55 am

ok nice well i am not a pro but i love movie scores so and i own ableton so it was a choice but is slowli learning some workflow in but still

mihai

Post by mihai » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:09 am

live is more than competent to handle film scoring. good luck.

dolphie

Post by dolphie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:19 am

OK nice think i am gone keep my scoring questions on this treat instead of a 100 :)
i run kontakt 4,02 in able ton but does it run in 64bit mode or only 32 :)

mihai

Post by mihai » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:23 am

inside of live it runs at 32 since live is a 32bit app. you can run kontakt as stand-alone in 64bit then route the audio inside of live via the external instrument device.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:19 am

mihai wrote:inside of live it runs at 32 since live is a 32bit app. you can run kontakt as stand-alone in 64bit then route the audio inside of live via the external instrument device.
How do you route it into live as an external instrument whilst also controlling kontakt with the midi clips in Live? I tried but it didnt show up in "external instrument" as a device which i could grab the audio from.

Thx

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 pm

....i'm producing classical scores for movies, and yeah, i never would end up in scoring in ableton....no chance...
And i don't know one other proffesional who ever tried to do so.....

Some special effect sounddesign, maybe....offline...

But in realtime with framelocks along the pictures....no chance....

Logic is the only solution for me....and that since early nineties....
Nothing in ableton can compete with logics midi engine....and score editor.....i mean, hey there is no such thing in ableton...
You can do everything with ableton....but end of the day each daw has it's own best part an is best choice for one thing....and ableton is the program for producing techno and co....simple as that...

mihai

Post by mihai » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:44 pm

reeloy wrote:....i'm producing classical scores for movies, and yeah, i never would end up in scoring in ableton....no chance...
And i don't know one other proffesional who ever tried to do so.....

Some special effect sounddesign, maybe....offline...

But in realtime with framelocks along the pictures....no chance....

Logic is the only solution for me....and that since early nineties....
Nothing in ableton can compete with logics midi engine....and score editor.....i mean, hey there is no such thing in ableton...
You can do everything with ableton....but end of the day each daw has it's own best part an is best choice for one thing....and ableton is the program for producing techno and co....simple as that...
i can't say i've done extensive film composition but it's worked well for my purposes so i will have to respectfully disagree as far as i'm concerned.
seattletruth wrote:
mihai wrote:inside of live it runs at 32 since live is a 32bit app. you can run kontakt as stand-alone in 64bit then route the audio inside of live via the external instrument device.
How do you route it into live as an external instrument whilst also controlling kontakt with the midi clips in Live? I tried but it didnt show up in "external instrument" as a device which i could grab the audio from.

Thx
i'm not sure about this since i run everything inside of live but go through the manual and see if you run into something.

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:47 pm

...well, i don't say you could'nt click some soundtrack together for some moviving pictures....

But if you seriously work on a movieSCORE, with orchesterlib's, panlaws, framelocks, notes (i mean real notes, not some dots in a pianoroll) and different cut versions....and a deadline for a final mix where hundreds of tracks must sum up in 5.1 or whatever.....

You get pretty lost in ableton...no fuckin' chance....
And if you don't agree here.....you have no clue what you're talking about.....

dolphie

Post by dolphie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Interesting, but i am not a pro.
But having fun whit basic sync of music and movie.
But yeah if we keep speaking on the subject maybe ableton would implement more features that we need :)

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:37 pm

what we need?
What are you missing?
Ableton does a great job in pattern orientated music and artificial sounddesign....

.....i hope they stop this more and more features trip and get back to their roots...... keep it simple and improve the rock solid factor again...

In audio it's finished....kind of complete.....next logical step in productconcept should be a next add on module like max but for video....so that live becomes really the one and only software to run shows....tv, stage, radio, events, theater...and so on.....THE MAINFRAME for anything in realtime....audio, video, light...final curtain....

It's no help at all, if they try to make it a studiomonster like logic.....composing and producing is logic.....recording and mixing is pro tools....and creating and performing is ableton.....

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:45 pm

reeloy wrote:next logical step in productconcept should be a next add on module like max but for video
I completely disagree. If this sort of thing is even on the list, it shouldn't be anywhere near the top and I don't think that the next logical step for any DAW is better video implementation really. Unless the DAW really has nailed everything concerning audio (and MIDI).

Would Soundflower allow it to show up in the External Instrument device?

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:05 pm

....as i said...back to the roots...rock solid....
Sure midi in ableton is a bit of a joke....
And all the fuzz is because of so many features...
There is still some job to do, until ableton is really finished when it comes to audioproduction...yes.

But do we need another daw that tries do it ALL?
No....
If they try to give ableton a midiengine like logic....what for?
Better keep it simple....
And ableton never will be good in summing, mixing...
Becouse of it's realtime stretch and pitch algos.....
So better Don't bother.....and make it the best where it really can be the best....
And i'm not talking about a simple video implementation....

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:02 pm

I didn't say you were talking about a simple video implementation but that I personally don't think it should be a priority of a DAW (note the A) developer to implement any video features. Not to say they shouldn't be included, just that they shouldn't be priority or the "next logical step". And much for a reason you gave:
reeloy wrote:But do we need another daw that tries do it ALL?
And your srgument against MIDI improvement taking priority is surely counterproductive to the development of audio production. Poor MIDI implementation can stunt the use of audio production.