NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:16 am

abletontrainer.com wrote:edit.... :arrow:
it's all good. I put less thought into my post than you did yours. those that know, know. keep on keeping on.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 am

Tone Deft wrote:
abletontrainer.com wrote:edit.... :arrow:
it's all good. I put less thought into my post than you did yours. those that know, know. keep on keeping on.
appreciated.....

for me this login = no more internet dramas... just not going there any more.....

anyway, for me rampant speculation used to always be the most fun thing about this forum... I guess it's just been so long since a new version of Live the forum has become either inane OT bollox or bug reports...... not much speculation left to do...

but for me the speculation is the fun part and there are still loads of new users joining up who haven't read our previous speculations... if they see a bunch of whining about x feature not being there, then I don't think it's a bad thing for them to see some of the history when some of us who've been here all that time can be arsed talking about it again....

I was just saying I PERSONALLY don't think Ableton was ever really saying a TOTAL rewrite was needed... i.e. there is still hope that if automation gets the overhaul that's needed then I personally hope session automation might come as part of the package.....

I certainly think NI have really raised the bar with Maschine and Ableton sure best be listening....

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:34 am

end user experience vs. "I could code that shit" experience.

it'll get dramatical because you care. we should try to keep it objective.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

cycophilipp

Post by cycophilipp » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:40 am

rumors = wasting time while thinking about what will be greater on the next software/hardware even you haven't touched the surface of the present version yet

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:31 am

Tone Deft wrote:end user experience vs. "I could code that shit" experience.
well any software maker is very interested in the end user experience.... Dom even chimed in and made the point that they all use it and are aware of 99.9% of these things.....

Ableton have made it known in the past they really value their users' speculation.... they flew some of us to Berlin just to hear it FFS....... at the end of the day any coding at all starts in specifications: "what do we need?", and then the coder's job is to make it happen.

Of course this stuff can all be coded when it gets given the right level of priority.... point is there are "equal and opposite reactions" to any action so it's a weigh up between how much of the other shit we fuck up by bringing in the new shit.

God I don't envy them at all.... but the reality there are people going off in droves buying Maschine and going on about how good it is and having no problems recording their automation in - it's a big deal and Ableton can't not be paying mind..... I know they are.... the only question is WHEN it makes it in.... this is actually the point I responded to - it would be nice to think that the far longer than usual gap between versions would be owing to things like this finally being addressed.... All I was saying was that my personal opinion, which is probably a reasonably educated guess I suppose all things considered, is that the rewrite would be more about the actual automation system than the whole program down to the letter.

Check out version 1 - the arrange view didn't even make it in until version 2, or at least 1.5, and clip envelopes - which for all intents and purposes is the main reason we're having this discussion didn't come till version 3. So that means there is a core part of the program up to version 3 that should be untouched by any changes here. And actually version 3 was pretty damn stable. So was version 4 in the end when they added MIDI.

I'm just saying, my own personal opinion is that it's not a full rewrite they are talking, just a rewrite of the automation system, and I gave a few other reasons there why they need to address that anyway.

Apart from whatever technical reasons they have for not doing it up until now, they also are a commercial company who need to be aware of the competition. NI are making leaps and bounds in this respect, and apart from the fact that they are a competitor in many ways, they are also the company the Gerhard and Bernd both used to work for before they founded Ableton... so yeah I think they would be paying attention to what NI are up to, especially Maschine.

anyway, you know I've always been a squeaky wheel here... the fact people are still talking about it is something Ableton needs to hear because it shows them how far up to put it on the big list..... if no one else gives a shit then maybe it's not such a problem, but my post was in response to people saying it still does matter

anyway [/2c] [tl;dr] whatever

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:00 pm

please do be a squeaky wheel.

as someone that writes code for a living it's really annoying to read armchair coders. I don't even do that for other projects that are going on in my own company. you simply do not know what's going on. most of you guys don't know a single programming language but want to act like project leads on a major project. it's lame.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

jjahn

Post by jjahn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 pm

beats me wrote:There's nothing more annoying than people trying to parlay "I wish" into rumor with absolutely no substantiated facts and it's usually by people who aren't paying attention enough to know what is or is not going on. They'll also be completely unaware of when a company says for a fact that something will not be happening.

Actually there's some things that are more annoying, but it's up there.

like - let us have part of your suggestions please
jj

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:38 pm

so, here we are, exactly 1 year on from the OP

Any new roumours for this year? or do we need a new thread. :lol:

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 pm

nah. they're not at NAMM this year either.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:59 pm

The one thing that really stands out is this simple fact: They have almost always put out a new major version every year. They have not done so in three years now. That's enough for me to believe that the next update will not simply be pile of requested features with a few more devices. That's what it's usually been. Same program but better timestrectching, new synths, new effects, new integration with something, new group tracks, new editing functionality etc. Things added on to the existing. Three years with Ableton is unheard of. Certainly some kind of paradigm shift. It simply doesn't take three years to add a very impressive list of new features. It takes that long to change something major. Just my opinion.
Professional Shark Jumper.

noland

Post by noland » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:12 pm

+1
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

SuslovNikolay

Post by SuslovNikolay » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Thinking, that Live 9 is on it's way!
http://www.ableton.com/release-notes/live-9-beta is avaliable for some invisible group: "suite_9_tester"...
Looking forward to the new version, good luck and Happy New Year Ableton!

Regards,
Nikolay

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:36 pm

cool :)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:10 pm

SuslovNikolay wrote:Thinking, that Live 9 is on it's way!
http://www.ableton.com/release-notes/live-9-beta is avaliable for some invisible group: "suite_9_tester"...
Looking forward to the new version, good luck and Happy New Year Ableton!

Regards,
Nikolay
As is the Suite 10 tester:
http://www.ableton.com/restricted_acces ... _10_tester

And the suite 11 tester:
http://www.ableton.com/restricted_acces ... _11_tester

And the Suite 12 tester:
http://www.ableton.com/restricted_acces ... _12_tester

etc. etc......

and the Suite 29 tester
http://www.ableton.com/restricted_acces ... _29_tester

or even the Suite 952358923429734 tester
http://www.ableton.com/restricted_acces ... 734_tester

They really are planning ahead eh? :P
Professional Shark Jumper.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:13 pm

aw man, I knew something like that would turn up.