Sidechain Techniques..

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Bee Dub

Sidechain Techniques..

Post by Bee Dub » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 pm

I know this has been brought up before, but I have been exploring various sidechaining techniques within Ableton Live (I have Full Live 8) and I am looking for some thoughts on what I am currently doing and looking for suggestions on how to sidechain the 'correct' way...

I am using Full Ableton Live 8 (not suite) and am setting an 'Audio' Channel as 'In' and then the 'Audio From' I am selecting my Kick Drum channel. Next I have a compressor (I have Waves Bundle) on the audio channel that is set as 'in' with the Audio 'From' coming from the kick channel. This compressor is then Triggered when a kick plays in my kick channel and I am unsure if I should set my 'Audio to' on my kick channel to the 'Audio Sidechain channel'...

I am working on improving my kick clarity as well as my snare cohesion with my kick drum. Now is it unwise to 'Group' my say bass/synth channels and then route that entire 'Group' to my Audio Sidechain channel or is it better to route each individual channel to the audio sidechain channel. Also, I have experimented with create an additional 'Audio' Sidechain channel that is a sidechain for my snares to route pads. I have this 'second audio channel' route to my kick sidechain channel with the 'Audio To' and I am wondering if this is unnecessary... Also, if instead of using the second snare sidechain channel, is it okay to send my Snares/Claps to my Kick sidechain channel or is it best to not sidechain snares/claps to kicks...

I want to find the most effective way of side-chaining and in Waves there some pretty advanced compressors and I am wondering if i should use a mono or a stereo compressor for the kick sidechain channel...

ANY help/clarification on this would be greatly appreciated, I hope I didn't confuse anyone as I am still relatively new to this type of method. My main concern is the Kick/Snare combo and keeping that concrete and balanced with all of my other elements blending around those to maintain stability of the groove.

Hope someone can elaborate on whether this is a 'correct way' of side-chaining elements to my Kick's..