Customizable Metering.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Joshua_313

Customizable Metering.

Post by Joshua_313 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Customizable Metering.
This may seem like a trivial feature to some but for me it would be paramount and here is why.

I use outboard gear with Ableton. When tracking I track with the analogue environment in mind. This means a target signal level of around 0db VU which = -20db FS. I do this so that I am not constantly inserting utility plugins all over the place to adjust gain for using outboard gear, outboard gear is designed with this level signal in mind. I also do it to allow an appropriate amount of headroom for my mixes.

So my specific request is that the user be able to change the meter range and also toggle between Peak value and RMS. This way if I wanted to rescale my meter so that -10db RMS was at the top of my meter I could. The number readout for the peak value of the channel would still display the peak value of the signal and would light up when 0dbfs is exceded in other words its behavior would be the same as it is currently.

Also please dispense with the super tiny level meters in arrange view and just show the signal value as a number. Again, selectable between Peak and RMS and light the box when 0dbfs is exceded to indicate clipping.

I really can't stress how paramount this would be for workflow. Otherwise, I love the program and find it to be a very inspiring environment to work in.

cheers,
Joshua

PS. Could you please come up with a super rock solid way to sync 2 or more computers running Ableton. Midi Clock Sync is not getting it. Perhaps a timecode based solution?

fl0w

Re: Customizable Metering.

Post by fl0w » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Yup, sth like Inspector XL!

hydrogen

Post by hydrogen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:37 am

+1 to customizable metering... So I can calibrate the meters to so peaks are at -18dbfs to match my sound card... Maybe there is someway to do this? hidden config file?

Element

Post by Element » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 am

+1 and I'm gonna go further....

VU metering with needles!

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:57 am

Element wrote:
VU metering with needles!
Oh no! Just no.
.:O:B:1:.