Administrators, can we...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DeadlokAudio

Re: Administrators, can we...

Post by DeadlokAudio » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:16 am

H20nly wrote:^ that....

if a new "noob" section is created... it will essentially become this place of scorn or disdain from certain "PRO" users and trolls who aren't willing to help anyway. people will read their comments and eventually i predict that most of the people who end up posting in this "noob" forum subsection will all be... newbies to the forum rather than necessarily being newbies to Live.

i get why you're asking, cuz some people are fucking dickheads when all you want is a little help, but the odds of getting that guy who isn't are probably higher when you wade through the shit responses to get the good one rather than sectioning the forum off and hoping somebody strays into your comfy zone.

i think the thing to keep in mind here is that you should at least try to find the answer yourself. then, at bare minimum, you can at least say "i've tried x, y, z and can't find the answer to this question... any suggestions?" YRMV
As I said in my original post, I have read the live manual, and do use if for reference. I also keep a youtube tab open to check for tutorials as and when I stumble on something. Problem is, being new to live & new to digital audio production, even if the info I need IS in the manual, I dont always necessarily fully understand what I'm reading... its a work-in-progress learning curve! And as with learning anything, it can often help having someone explain something using 'laymans terms' or other re-wording.

I also don't think any 'pro' worth the name would scour a 'newcomers' forum just to berate our lack of know-how (shit, I wish I had that kinda time on my hands!) Yes you will always get some dick-shit trolling away, ,but that unavoidable. The fact is, and as your Quietman quote signature says, some people actually like offering a helping hand by imparting their knowledge to us fledgelings.

Being a 'newbie' (urrghh, there I said it) myself, I know I would feel plenty more comfotable if we had our own 'playpen' to bounce our silly questions around in!
Beginners forum please!!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:03 am

There already is a section for that and you already posted in it: User's Help Exchange.

Before, that was just the support section, but Ableton recently switched to a ticket support system. Posting in that section gives you more chances that helpful people answer your questions. And Ableton Support Staff still monitor and reply in that forum section too.

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:39 am

look at the bottom left corner inside the program ...?
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:03 pm

There will always be new people. I'm old, take my word for it.

Thy're relentless these new people. keep appearing all the time.

I was new once. Ripped all knowledge I could from those old suckers....

Now I'm old and full of it.

-------

I now think there should be a formal cut-off point. Kind of like Logan's Run only the opposite: No noobs, they ask too many questions anyway. Soylent green their asses for us old bastards so we have more time using our studios with the vast knowledge we have attained in our inflated craniums.

:roll:

DeadlokAudio

Post by DeadlokAudio » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 pm

You folks all seem grand .. wasn't suggesting this due to any bad experience that I've had hear, just thought it might make lives for all a little easier (experienced users dont have to get annoyed at newcomer's ineptitude, and us early-learners dont have to feel intimidated when asking trivial questions....)

Didn't want to open a can of worms here, and certianly didn't mean this as a slight against you good people here in Ableton-ville, to be honest I read on someones post about a beginners forum on another DAWs website and thought it sounded like a blaaaady good idea!

Guess I understand why some think its just because I'm being lazy want to be spoon-fed all your hard-earned knowledge, but this i promise this really isnt the case!
:) :) :)

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:15 pm

^ I was being serious. bladdy kids :evil:

---------------

It's funny though; when you know ziltch about a subject, what appears patently obvious to experienced users can go right over your head... even if its right there in front of you:- You ask a nooby question some times and the resulting answer makes you face-plant.... but you genuinely didn't see it on the sticky...Well, you did but it was buried amongst all the other mystical stuff...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:07 pm

DeadlokAudio wrote:You folks all seem grand .. wasn't suggesting this due to any bad experience that I've had hear, just thought it might make lives for all a little easier (experienced users dont have to get annoyed at newcomer's ineptitude, and us early-learners dont have to feel intimidated when asking trivial questions....)

Didn't want to open a can of worms here, and certianly didn't mean this as a slight against you good people here in Ableton-ville, to be honest I read on someones post about a beginners forum on another DAWs website and thought it sounded like a blaaaady good idea!

Guess I understand why some think its just because I'm being lazy want to be spoon-fed all your hard-earned knowledge, but this i promise this really isnt the case!
:) :) :)
how about giving it more than 6 weeks of posting here before you go about re-arranging the furniture? :roll:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:54 pm

DeadlokAudio wrote:I also don't think any 'pro' worth the name would scour a 'newcomers' forum just to berate our lack of know-how (shit, I wish I had that kinda time on my hands!) Yes you will always get some dick-shit trolling away, ,but that unavoidable. The fact is, and as your Quietman quote signature says, some people actually like offering a helping hand by imparting their knowledge to us fledgelings.
you're right... some people do like to help. the poster who made the quote in my sig was among the best. unfortunately... leedsquietman is no longer with us - R.I.P.
still, the reason i put "PRO" in quotes was not to imply that said pro is actually professional, but that they consider themselves to be some form of office chair expert. hardly the same thing, but the attitude remains.

i think your head is in the right place, but then there's the way it translates in real life. i can tell you this though... there are still plenty of people that will help. its just important to cover your bases and ask the question in a clear and concise manner. i can pretty much guarantee that if you keep asking questions on the forum that ShelLuser will try to help you at some point. so there's one. longjohns, Angstrom and Tone Deft are all pretty damn good about offering sage advice too. i can tell you this from my personal experience - and it only takes one good answer to get you going again. the good news... there are plenty more. just remember to try and be 8) and not to let folks get to you that are feeling like making a joke that day... its usually not personal. i'm just as guilty as anyone about being a smart ass. sometimes you'll get the answer from a post that seems mean or rude at first glance, but in fact, has the knowledge you seek.

good luck.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

DeadlokAudio

Post by DeadlokAudio » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:15 am

fair :)

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion - we'll consider it. We've also got some things coming that should help out in this area.

To clarify about Users' Help Exchange, while some of us do pop in there occasionally, it is definitely not the place to go if you want to contact Ableton directly about your issue. The Ableton presence in Users' Help Exchange is primarily to moderate and help guide discussions so that users can help each other. There are some extremely helpful users who post regularly, and, as hoffman2k suggested, it's a good place to go if you're looking for a workaround or other kind of "how do I do this with Live" question.

If you want official Ableton technical support, then you can get in touch here: http://www.ableton.com/support.