NI Traktor Pro v2 annouced

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: NI Traktor Pro v2 annouced

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Well, the point of S4 is not have to use the DJ mixer :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Tarekith wrote:
beats me wrote:Was this also your introduction to the Traktor software? It sounds like some of your dislikes have to do with Traktor in general even without the controller (EQ, effects, gain) but I guess for your taste that might be incentive to use Traktor with an external DJ mixer. I haven't dug too deep into the effects section but from what I've seen they can be quite interesting and useful when you know how to stack them and map knobs to multiple controls sort of like Live's macro rack knobs.
A few months before the S4 came out I bought an Audio 4DJ, Kontrol X1, and Traktor Pro to use with my Xone62. The X1 impressed me enough that I was willing to give the S4 a chance.

The effects are so so only for me. They're either really plain like phasers and flangers, or too weird like Mulholland Drive. I normally keep them in chained mode, but then you're stuck controlling only the one parameter from each effect that NI thinks you should control. Meh, I'm spoiled on this front, I have dozens of custom Live racks for DJing that I was really happy with I guess.

Anyway, it's not a total knock on the S4 or a deal killer obviously, as I decided to keep it for now. It is fun to use, and I do like the all in one nature of it, combined with the ability to manually beatmatch if needed (or wanted). Live has a lot of faults for DJing too, so at the moment neither is a clear winner for me so I'll keep both. :)

I respect other people's preferences but I'm not attracted to DJing with Live at all and effects usage isn't a big selling point for me. For me it's the ability to be the most spontaneous, manipulate and adjust audio in a way that is closer to traditional DJing, and I really like the ability of being able to create and adjust multiple cue and loop points quickly on the fly with a single file.

I go back to the time when I was fairly new to Traktor and was jamming with my friend who was using CDJs and has been DJing since long before CDJs. I was grabbing tracks and stacking and looping them like crazy with zero prep and a lot of tracks I didn't have deep intimate knowledge of and it just worked. My skilled friend was shuffling through his CD collection struggling to keep up and there's no way I would have been able to be as spontaneous if I was using Live.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 pm

beats me wrote: I respect other people's preferences but I'm not attracted to DJing with Live at all and effects usage isn't a big selling point for me. For me it's the ability to be the most spontaneous, manipulate and adjust audio in a way that is closer to traditional DJing, and I really like the ability of being able to create and adjust multiple cue and loop points quickly on the fly with a single file.

I go back to the time when I was fairly new to Traktor and was jamming with my friend who was using CDJs and has been DJing since long before CDJs. I was grabbing tracks and stacking and looping them like crazy with zero prep and a lot of tracks I didn't have deep intimate knowledge of and it just worked. My skilled friend was shuffling through his CD collection struggling to keep up and there's no way I would have been able to be as spontaneous if I was using Live.
Thats when I enjoy with DJing the most - stuff that Ive barely even heard before never mind actually prepped and just doing whats comes on the fly :)

The only headache is when some arse sneaks in a 1/2 beat slip in their track on the buildup and you do this really nice mix that transitions beautifully to a total trainwreck :lol:
Nothing to see here - move along!

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:24 pm

i love traktor and this new one looks great... let's see

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Khazul wrote:
beats me wrote: I respect other people's preferences but I'm not attracted to DJing with Live at all and effects usage isn't a big selling point for me. For me it's the ability to be the most spontaneous, manipulate and adjust audio in a way that is closer to traditional DJing, and I really like the ability of being able to create and adjust multiple cue and loop points quickly on the fly with a single file.

Thats when I enjoy with DJing the most - stuff that Ive barely even heard before never mind actually prepped and just doing whats comes on the fly :)

The only headache is when some arse sneaks in a 1/2 beat slip in their track on the buildup and you do this really nice mix that transitions beautifully to a total trainwreck :lol:

Yeah, damn creative time changes.

I wouldn't recommend showing up to a gig with no plan or a plan to play a bunch of tracks you aren't too familiar with but it's comforting to know that if you're in a pinch good things can happen quickly.

Seriously, when I was jamming with my friend I'd leave a couple tracks looped and stacked and go out for a quick smoke break and when I got back he'd still be trying to figure out what he was going to play over it. :lol:

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:40 pm

beats me wrote:
Khazul wrote:

Yeah, damn creative time changes.

I wouldn't recommend showing up to a gig with no plan or a plan to play a bunch of tracks you aren't too familiar with but it's comforting to know that if you're in a pinch good things can happen quickly.

Seriously, when I was jamming with my friend I'd leave a couple tracks looped and stacked and go out for a quick smoke break and when I got back he'd still be trying to figure out what he was going to play over it. :lol:
Maybe that future role of CD/vinyl die hards - to look busy while the 'real' DJ whos music is actually playing buggers off for a smoke/drink break :P

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 pm

Khazul wrote:Maybe that future role of CD/vinyl die hards - to look busy while the 'real' DJ whos music is actually playing buggers off for a smoke/drink break :P
And it's damn near impossible to not come off as cocky when you do that. "Sorry man, it's the software. It just happens." :)

I also went to the same friend's gig last weekend and the DJ before him who he knew was spinning vinyl. I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of all electronica throughout history but I was really digging what the guy was spinning and I thought I was wrong about thinking it's getting harder and harder to find great new tracks on vinyl, but it turns out I wasn't. When we left my friend said "Dude, that guy was spinning those tracks 10 years ago."

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Just wish there was an easy to digitise my vinyl - the thought of doing it is a huge urrgh!

I should really at least do the dub plates tho while they are still playable.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:08 pm

I just keep my 1200's in the attic for when I get the urge to play vinyl, which has only been like twice in last 6 years. I started digitizing all my records (and I don't even have that many anymore), but gave up due to how long it was taking. Not to mention the sound quality of my heavily played vinyl was pretty bad in comparison to the digital stuff I was getting. I just said fug it and started from scratch (errr, no pun intended).

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:26 am

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:58 am

beats me wrote:This right here is pretty badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrNqFXnI ... r_embedded
Finally - a really really good reason to start using traktor's native fx :)

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:24 pm

And again I'm disappointed by NI, because they do not fix simple, but
annoying bugs in TPro 1 before releasing a paid upgrade which will
surely have loads of new bugs... :-(
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Coupe70 wrote:And again I'm disappointed by NI, because they do not fix simple, but

Such as?

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:38 pm

beats me wrote:
Coupe70 wrote:And again I'm disappointed by NI, because they do not fix simple, but

Such as?
for example:
Bug # TP-1907 - beatjump does not work when controlled with keyboard
assignment and jump lenght set to 'loop'

Known and confirmed by NI, never fixed.
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Does anyone know if TP2 still has the same 12 effects limit? It's a ridiculous limitation. Maybe I'm spoilt having unlimited effects in Live, but I really can't figure out why there are only four effects slots in Traktor.