Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
delicioso

Re: Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Post by delicioso » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 pm

keppy wrote:If you could pm me the script, that would awesome.
Here's the Tranzport script folder that should go into Live (>Show Package Contents) > Contents > App-Resources > MIDI Remote Scripts

http://www.multiupload.com/ETWEPM14I6

Badger123

Post by Badger123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Great thanks wiffbi!

I've just sent you a message by the way.

Cheers

elektruck

Post by elektruck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi,

I'm busy building a ucApps midibox64 midi controller and want to use it with the 'control selected track' surface, for I don't know an other way to navigate through tracks and launch selected clips, etc.
Last night I came pretty far, I can assign midi functions to my midibox, like volume and scene up and down, using the integrated midi learn function of live,(midi box upper right)
To navigate through the tracks I downloaded the python script and put in Live's midiremote script folder. In preferences I now can select the 'control selected track' surface. To see if it worked I launched a midi clip with a controller env. cc#85 value 1 to 127 to 1 to 127. And the track jumps left, right, left, right, so it seems to work. When I configure 2 of my midibox64 buttons to midicc 85, one value 1, other value 127, and push them nothing seems to happen, only the midi indicator upper right flashes. But?!, if I open a midi track and set monitor to auto, and hit the rec button of the midiclip , then it works! Then I can navigate with my midibox64 through the tracks. What am I doing wrong?

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:58 pm

@elektruck:
Hm, that flashing MIDI indicator sounds like it’s not correctly setup in MIDI Preferences. Make sure, that "Selected Track Control" is selected as Control Surface and under MIDI Input you have selected the MIDI input from your midibox64. Maybe you can upload a screenshot and embed it here, so I can check?

elektruck

Post by elektruck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:01 pm

Here's the screenshot:
[img]<table%20style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a%20href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/a ... tr></table>[/img]

I really hope you can help cause I'm losing my head on this. here's also a link to the screenshot:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/a ... directlink

I thought too it has something to do with my midi routing but I can't find anything wrong. The DMX midi is my build in soundcard and my midibox64 in is connected to DMX midi out, and my midibox64 out is connected to my midi in.
I tried it also on a different system with a m-audio quattro soundcard, exactly the same there.

Cheers,
Roel

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:13 pm

@elektruck:
Hey Roel, hm, looks good. Maybe under MIDI Ports, try disabling "Track" and "Sync" and only leave "Remote" on. Also, on which channel is your midibox64 sending? STC wants MIDI input on channel 0 (can be changed globally in settings.py) - depending on your hardware this might be channel 1 or 16. Let me know, if this helps.

elektruck

Post by elektruck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:52 pm

It's working!!!!! I new it would be as simple as changing the midi channel but I got stuck. Thanx Wiffbi. The midi channels of my two buttons were 11 and 12, changing them to 1 did the trick!
But does that also mean that when I give all my midi events witch I assign with Abletons midi learn a different channel than 1 or 16 they won't interfere with STC?

Thanks again, I've been busy with it last night and most of the day, now I can study on the rest of STC, wonderful script, I guess!

Cheers,
Roel

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Hey Roel, yup, you are right! STC only listens to MIDI channel 1 (not 16, sorry, mixed that up), so everything else on the other MIDI channels will not interfere with STC.

Concerning studying the script: I am working on an update that has lots of changes in the settings.py – it will be possible to use any type of MIDI CC mode (any of the relative modes as well as absolute – so not only encoders will work but also faders and knobs!). It will not break backwards-compatability concerning the MIDI implementation chart, so feel free to implement as many MIDI commands as documented on http://stc.wiffbi.com/midi-implementation-chart.html

Cheers!
Richard

elektruck

Post by elektruck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:17 am

Hey Richard,
I feel a bit stupid now that I didn't find the problem (midichannel 1) myself. I saw the midiclip that worked immediately sending on midichannel 1. When I put the clip in record mode my midicontroller also worked, cause the midichanel routed it to channel 1 of course. I even changed the midichanel in the settings.py from 0 to 1,without any result of coarse, and it didn't came in my mind to change the midichanel of the controller knobs, stupid.
But anyway it's working and it's really great and even better, I've an idea of how to build my midicontroller now. I guess it's a really special script for on the midibox site (www.ucapps.de) they build lots of great midiboxes and Ableton controllers but I never saw the STC possibility on the standard boxes. They used just 16 channels to control all parameters, but now one dedicated chanel is enough for the mixer section. There are a lot of special midiboxes, but as far as I know they use Mackiecontrol with special midibox firmware, or they use max4life or LiveAPI. I'm not sure cause I find it a bit hard to overvieuw the ucapps site and all midibox possiblities, but as far as I know this STC is a revolution, it is for me anyway.

The update sounds great cause at the moment I've only buttons and faders. But the midibox64e supports encoders, and I've some here so this week I'll see if I can get them to work. For now I just used 2 buttons to increase and decrease volume, and it worked but I've to push a 100 times to get the slider moving. How can I change the resolution so that the slider reacts faster?

Thanks again for this wonderful script and the clear midi implementation chart, I'll try the rest of the midicommands and post my experience and your site at the ucapps forum. A donation will follow when I got some money on my bankaccount.

Cheers,
Roel

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:35 am

elektruck wrote:The update sounds great cause at the moment I've only buttons and faders. But the midibox64e supports encoders, and I've some here so this week I'll see if I can get them to work. For now I just used 2 buttons to increase and decrease volume, and it worked but I've to push a 100 times to get the slider moving. How can I change the resolution so that the slider reacts faster?
That is quite easy – see here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 6#p1254886

Basically as the constant value for the button, you do not send 1 (or 127 to lower volume) but e.g. 5 (or 123 to lower volume). Play around with the constant values until the response is how you like them.

P.S.: Thanks for your great feedback!

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:04 pm

pixel wrote:However, I have a problem when I fire a clip with the alt-enter the clip only loops one bar instead of the whole clip. If I fire it with the mouse it plays back normally.

Also, the playback of the channels can kind of stall/become out of sync with each other.
Hey Pixel, I tested the session controls of STC and did not have the problems you describe. Maybe it has something to do with the Launch-settings/Quantization of the clips in your Live-Set?

elektruck

Post by elektruck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm

wiffbi wrote: That is quite easy – see here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 6#p1254886

Basically as the constant value for the button, you do not send 1 (or 127 to lower volume) but e.g. 5 (or 123 to lower volume). Play around with the constant values until the response is how you like them.

P.S.: Thanks for your great feedback!
Oh yeah, I red this before and now I understand. Works great! and super that you can assign your own resolution this way!
Abou the feedback; you're very welcome, it's the least I can do!

mp@michaelpalmermusic.com

Post by mp@michaelpalmermusic.com » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Hey!
I am a big fan of Session Track Control. As a logic user finding his feet with Live I am glad to have this functionality.

One question.

Is there a way to have a track arm its self automatically when it is selected - just as logic does.

I would love this to speed up live performance - too much button pressing for my liking at the moment.
Thanks

M :D

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:02 am

mp@michaelpalmermusic.com wrote:Hey!
I am a big fan of Session Track Control. As a logic user finding his feet with Live I am glad to have this functionality.

One question.

Is there a way to have a track arm its self automatically when it is selected - just as logic does.
Thanks, I am glad you like. Concerning auto-arming on selection: it should be possible, but it isn't. Live has a function to notify the MIDI Remote Script if a track is selected, but within this notification I cannot do anything to that track – well I can do all sorts of things and they run without an error, but they have no effect! I do not know, whether this is a bug, but at the moment, the only thing I could do, is offer auto-arm when selecting a track via keyboard shortcut. So if you use any other method of selecting a track than the keyboard-shortcut provided by STC (e.g. click on a track with a mouse), then this won't work. I think there might be a possible workaround by using a MIDI loopback, but I need to verify that first.

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am

Hey all,

so I spend a lot of time lately on STC and today I am happy to announce the latest release v1.1!

STC v1.1 is a major rewrite of the configuration. When you use your own controller, it is now possible to:
  • map absolute CC values as well as all other 7-bit relative MIDI CCs (so no more relative_two_compliment bindings only – you are now able to use absolute, relative_binary_offset, relative_signed_bit, relative_signed_bit2 as well!).
  • bind multiple MIDI commands to the same control in Live. This makes it possible to e.g. bind an encoder (relative CC) and a button (absolute) to e.g. the send level – so you can control send by increments, but also open and close the send by using a button for immediate "send madness" (for an example in STC see keyboard shortcuts ctrl-1 and ctrl-shift-1 and ctrl-q and ctrl-shift-q, which all control "Send 1")
  • Unlimited sends: configuration allows control for an unlimited amount of Send levels – only limited by your MIDI controller (please note that via keyboard shortcuts still only send 1-4 is accessible)
Other highlights for the app itself include:
  • Auto-arm on selection arms a track automatically when selected through STC (sorry, only works when selecting the track through STC – so not when using the mouse :( ) – as a default this is turned off, but use keyboard shortcut ctrl-shift-alt-a to activate for the running session (press ctrl-shift-alt-a again to deactivate)
  • Solo kill deactivates any active soloing on any track independent of the track currently selected
  • Mute flip mutes active tracks and unmutes muted tracks
  • Tap Tempo (Live 8 only) instantly mapped – no previous manual mapping required
You can find the latest release on the homepage http://stc.wiffbi.com/