Midi USB Cables

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pedroschki

Midi USB Cables

Post by pedroschki » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 am

What are people's opinions on these?

Are they essentially the same as the interfaces you'd find in standard USB audio interfaces, or should I expect more latency/less stability, etc.?

There seems to be quite a difference in price:

This costs a slight £5

http://www.ebest24.co.uk/usb-midi-cable ... -2231.html

And this costs significantly more substantial £73!!

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/1 ... cable.html

Would this be reflected in performance?

Your thoughts/first hand experience would be appreciated! (am trying to work out whether to buy NI audio 2 interface + midi usb cable or all in one Focusrite Sapphire interface)

Thanks.

Geebag

Re: Midi USB Cables

Post by Geebag » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 am

I would go for the saffire. Much better converters. I have owned both in the past. I would stay away from midi interfaces. Just somthing else to go wrong and you will be wasting more ports. If you already have an interface that you are happy with then a cheap midi interface might do ya.

pedroschki

Post by pedroschki » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 am

Cheers Geebag. It's actually for a djing set up with traktor, but I need the Midi interface as I've got an faderfox I'd like to use...

I've already got a fast track pro which I'm using with Live, but was thinking I could swap this with the Sapphire as seems to get better opinions.

Just trying to work out whether it's worth cutting corners though - this can turn out to be an expensive hobby! What started out as an idea to use an old laptop to play music through in my living room has now mutated into traktor + controller + interface etc, etc!!

crofter

Post by crofter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:08 am

I have one or the cheap ones you mention, sometimes I get stuck notes with it whereas the edirol one I have works well, I should stay away from the cheap ones but £73 is a bit steep.An all in one audio interface with midi is the best option.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

pedroschki

Post by pedroschki » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks Crofter, thought that may be the case... always worth double checking with these things though! Will save my pennies and get another interface I reckon.

Zoosh

Post by Zoosh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:42 am

The cheaper ones work ok, but you sometimes struggle to get drivers for newer OS like win7 or 64 bit support, take that into account, you know if you buy a recognised brand that your won't spend hours trawling for supported drivers

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Zoosh wrote:buy a recognised brand that your won't spend hours trawling for supported drivers
Exactly right. There's a growing number of USB to MIDI cables now, but most are from absolute no-name companies that are here today, gone tomorrow.

The M-Audio UNO works great, and the drivers are reliable.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x