Recording difficulty

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
marra

Recording difficulty

Post by marra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 pm

When recording a Drum Rack in session view, say over a synth I just played, how do I start recording the Drum Rack immediately as I press the Play All button on the master?

I always have to press the Drum Rack's Play button after pressing the Play All for it to actually start recording, at which point everything else has already started playing, and whatever I record will be out of sync. So I'm forced to either edit the loop markers or move the MIDI data around trying to make everything fit.

jtdj

Re: Recording difficulty

Post by jtdj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:53 pm

why would you record a drum part in session view? its gonna be much easier in arrangment. I never rarely use sesssion view for anythin.

marra

Post by marra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:56 pm

I do everything in session view, with MIDI clips and all? I mean, seems like a nice way of modularizing a musical idea so it can be played back in all sorts of ways during live shows. Almost like source code and easier to handle!

jtdj

Post by jtdj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:05 pm

marra wrote:I do everything in session view, with MIDI clips and all? I mean, seems like a nice way of modularizing a musical idea so it can be played back in all sorts of ways during live shows. Almost like source code and easier to handle!
yeah i get that u can use it for playback and what have you but surely you would record a drum part in arrangment view then edit, quantinise and that then drag into session view for playback. it certainly would solve ur problem.

marra

Post by marra » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:53 am

Oh yes, that oughta solve it, thanks a lot man!

carpekd

Post by carpekd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 am

marra wrote:When recording a Drum Rack in session view, say over a synth I just played, how do I start recording the Drum Rack immediately as I press the Play All button on the master?

I always have to press the Drum Rack's Play button after pressing the Play All for it to actually start recording, at which point everything else has already started playing, and whatever I record will be out of sync. So I'm forced to either edit the loop markers or move the MIDI data around trying to make everything fit.
Here is how I do what you are talking about (I do most of my initial recording stuff in session view):

Start by pressing the scene launch button that has your clips all in the same row that you want to record along with. They should all start playing together (or if you have just one, say like a synth clip, it will start playing.) Press the stop button on the master control, then press the circle in the blank clip area of your drum track on the same row as the clips you want to record with. Everything should start up just like you want it as soon as you press the circle. (I would recommend going into the options menu and adding a count in so you have time to get ready to record before anything starts playing)

Hope that makes sense

marra

Post by marra » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Indeed it does, thanks man :D

marra

Post by marra » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:15 pm

carpekd wrote:Here is how I do what you are talking about (I do most of my initial recording stuff in session view):

Start by pressing the scene launch button that has your clips all in the same row that you want to record along with. They should all start playing together (or if you have just one, say like a synth clip, it will start playing.) Press the stop button on the master control, then press the circle in the blank clip area of your drum track on the same row as the clips you want to record with. Everything should start up just like you want it as soon as you press the circle. (I would recommend going into the options menu and adding a count in so you have time to get ready to record before anything starts playing)

Hope that makes sense
That's actually really, really cool man thanks again!!