How To Route NI the mouth to an audio track??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
abdelwahabm

How To Route NI the mouth to an audio track??

Post by abdelwahabm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:02 pm

ive just bought the mouth and i cant get it to work on a vocal i recorded..if anyone knows how to please tell me!

Thanks

mholloway

Re: How To Route NI the mouth to an audio track??

Post by mholloway » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:02 pm

w/o more info it's hard to guess what you're doing that isn't working. but basically, You put the mouth as an insert effect on the Audio track that contains the vocals you want effected. Then you can create a midi track and set midi_out (in the in/outs on the mixer) to the Mouth device, so it receives key information from your midi keyboard. that's about it.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:19 am

Wait a minute...Can you use the mouth as a audio to midi convertor? Does it work well?

SGuttman

Post by SGuttman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:48 am

Yes it does. In fact, instructions how to do it in Live are in the Mouth manual. Only thing I'm struggling with is that when you set your midi instrument to receive midi from the Mouth track, you can send any other midi controller messages to your midi instrument from anywhere else - all it gets is the note info from the Mouth. If anyone has any ideas how to remedy this, please let me know.

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:56 am

I'm thinking of getting the mouth is it any good?

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm guessing you've got Reaktor, at the very least the free Reaktor player?

At it's simplest, just drop Reaktor FX into your audio track and load up The Mouth inside it. You don't even need to send midi to it if you just want it to detect the notes from what you are singing.

If you do want to send midi to use it more like a traditional vocoder, do as mholloway stated - just send a midi track to it and activate the keyboard mode.

Mozzatron: imho it's a really cool gadget. I can get my singer to sing in a melody line and make it come out as a pure synth line. Good stuff for improv.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

SGuttman

Post by SGuttman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Any ideas how to get midi messages to a synth that's getting its notes from The Mouth?

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Sorry man, haven't really done anything with taking midi out of it...it's surely going to be some sort of routing thing, maybe try using the external instrument plug?

I'm not in front of Live right now so I can't have a tinker. :(
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

SGuttman

Post by SGuttman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:29 pm

If you come up with anything, let me know. It's pretty important to my setup, and I'm stumped.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:39 pm

1 audio track - set to input (for live mic use), or containing some vocal and also the reaktor+mouth.
2 or 3 midi tracks
1 with midi in from the audio track - containing the synth you want to drive from mouth, and monitor mode to set In.
1 more midi track with midi out set to the above midi track that contains the synth. You can use this to record and playing a midi keybioard to also drive the synth.
1 more midi track into which you can record clips you are playing, with its midi out set to the audio track containing mouth - this one lets you use mouth as a 'played' vocoder/synth.

That should cover all likely options.
Nothing to see here - move along!

SGuttman

Post by SGuttman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Brilliant! The midi out track to the synth track did the trick. Didn't think of that! Much thanks.