Recomend a good spectrum/rms/analyzer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Moody

Re: Recomend a good spectrum/rms/analyzer

Post by Moody » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Simbosan wrote:Minor threadjack, but kinda on topic enough.

Is there such a thing as a spectrum analyzer that superimposes different tracks in one display, colour coded for example? Would be useful for spotting areas of contention I think.

S
Bluecat's Multi - I have been requesting this feature for Spectrum since Live 7 came out.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:36 am

Looks like it..

dburns

Post by dburns » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:24 am

Simbosan wrote:Minor threadjack, but kinda on topic enough.

Is there such a thing as a spectrum analyzer that superimposes different tracks in one display, colour coded for example? Would be useful for spotting areas of contention I think.

S
Yes, see the Blue Cat Audio Multi series. They are all designed for multi-track analysis. Voxengo GissEQ does multi, and maybe Span too.

As mentioned above, Span is a wonderful tool. It's amazingly nice of Voxengo to give it to us free. Hold CTL (PC) and drag your mouse to hear a specific freq of your spectrum and do filter sweeps.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:09 am

Just bought the BlueCat, very interesting. Already made a big diff to one of my tracks. Good tip thanks!

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

0fps

Post by 0fps » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Spectra Foo from Metric Hallo is one of the best i.m.o. with lots of info.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:17 am

ze2be wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Voxengo Span?
Thanks. Hey, can I ask you a question:
When mixing dance music, do you try to even out the weight of the frequency range? When using those slow colorful analysers, I usually get an un-even range, towards the lower frequencies. But thats maybe how it is with bass heavy dance music?
Recipe for disaster IMO, as are most visual techniques when it comes to making/playing music.

Look at most dance music and it tends to be high around the bass frequencies then tail off in a somewhat linear (well, log-linear) fashion as the frequency increases. It's to do with the physics of bass frequencies having more power than high frequencies at the same perceived volume and all that good stuff.

Don't try to even out the frequencies, try to make your music sound good.

golemus

Post by golemus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:57 pm

anything new in this front?

Been using Nugen Audio visualizer but it crashes Ableton all the time. Although I used 1.9.4. and there is a new version available (1.9.6.) that I still have not tried.

I am open for alternatives, I really don't like the UI. I don't like Voxengo Span either. Some hybrid between these two with a better usability would be my dream :)