Studio Monitors necessary?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pinnipeds

Studio Monitors necessary?

Post by Pinnipeds » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:03 am

Hi,

I'm going to be getting new computer speakers and it's between either the KRK Rokit 5's (Studio Monitors) or the Audioengine A2's (desktop speakers). Are Studio Monitors far superior for creating better sounding music, or can speakers get the job done just as well?

Thanks!

Migra

Re: Studio Monitors necessary?

Post by Migra » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:24 am

Pinnipeds wrote:Hi,

I'm going to be getting new computer speakers and it's between either the KRK Rokit 5's (Studio Monitors) or the Audioengine A2's (desktop speakers). Are Studio Monitors far superior for creating better sounding music, or can speakers get the job done just as well?

Thanks!
Definitely!
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 am

The higher quality the monitor, the more detail you can hear obviously, so better monitors mean you can potenially mix better.

The best monitors in the world however wont help you get the frequency balance right unless you are used to how such monitor sound in the room that they are in.

So whatever you get, you will have to train you ears by just listening to alot of music similar to that you intend to produce on them, then you find when mixing, it becomes far more obvious when somethinhg need tweaking.

Now if you have to buy something new anyway - then may as well get something with a more accurate sound. Purists will tell you you cant mix without flat, accurate monitors. Obviously you cant fix detail you cant hear, but in the end it comes down to being able to relate what you hear to what it should be - and thats entirely down to listening to other well produced music on them to the extent that anything that isnt mixed as well becomes obvious. Knowing what the issue is and what to do about it when mixing however is a different matter :)
Last edited by Khazul on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here - move along!

channelite

Post by channelite » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 am

If you don't have decent monitors, you won't be able to properly mix. I've had the same monitors, Event PS8s since 2000. A $700 investment back then and I'm still using them.

Darkworx

Post by Darkworx » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:29 pm

channelite wrote:If you don't have decent monitors, you won't be able to properly mix. I've had the same monitors, Event PS8s since 2000. A $700 investment back then and I'm still using them.
I have the exact same monitors (for the same time, too!). They are wonderful and my mixes sound as good (or bad) in the car as they do on the ps8's, which is what I want.

Studio Monitors and/or Studio Headphones are absolutely necessary if you want your music to sound great.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 am

I have a pair of older event monitors as well. The odd thing - I definately think they are nowhere near as flat or as detailed as my KRKs (perhaps even quite coloured), and yet mixes seem to translate far better.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Don Real

Post by Don Real » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:28 am

@Pinnipeds It is nice to buy some monitors but you really don't need high price monitors. I know a few people that make a very nice living from mixing and mastering that use Computer Monitors and a home surround sound system. You just have to know your speakers and what they can do. Also what frequ they are, meaning, you want something in the rang of 20-20khz for your speakers.

I know people are going to bash me for this but I did not believe it until I saw it first hand from a professional studio. My mentor once told me people hear with their eyes and not with their ears which is true. I have heard mixes from my mentor using a SSL board with top end monitors and mixing a song from his laptop with computer monitors and I can say there really was no different in sound because he knows what to listen for. If people don't agree I am cool with that if they do then you will save yourself some money in the long run.

God Bless and enjoy music

Real