Thunderbolt soundcards

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nowtime

Thunderbolt soundcards

Post by nowtime » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:35 am

If this Light Peak/Thunderbolt rumor is true and we have a whole new transmission technology available tomorrow, how will that affect new soundcards, particularly in regards to latency?

Reason being, I have been waiting for an RME UFX that I ordered back in October, and I am worried I will have outdated technology from the get-go. I would presume RME would have a Thunderbolt version within 6 months. Do you tech-heads think I would be missing out on that much? I'm thinking of cancelling my order.

shuutobi

Re: Thunderbolt soundcards

Post by shuutobi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:59 am

You said thunderbolt AND transmission in the same thread...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNBtzYO2VoU

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:23 am

I just heard about Light Peak today and it looks pretty neat. It's a great idea to FINALLY have a single daisychainable connector for everything. Now if they can just make it wireless...

I'd say go ahead and get the interface. I doubt the Light Peak implementation will be without bugs at first release. It's pretty typical for a new product/tech to come out and then a superior hardware revision be released shortly afterwards. Apple is notorious for this. While I love my MBP to death, there's no way in hell I'll buy a first release of an Apple product. :) Plus, think of how much bus bandwidth audio uses. Honestly, not that much unless you're streaming a shitload of channels at high sampling rates. FW800 or USB2 is plenty fast for most audio work. (If you are streaming a shitload of channels at high rates, disregard my conjecturing)

One thing I might be concerned with is latency. It will be interesting to see if Light Peak improves on recording latency.

cids

Post by cids » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:53 am

Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

theoriva

Post by theoriva » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:56 pm

johnnymossville

Post by johnnymossville » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:36 pm

"Thunderbolt" is twice (10Gbit/sec) the theoretical speed of USB 3.0 (5Gbit/sec). Since there are pretty much no USB 3.0 Pro Audio products on the market right now I'd say the standard has a pretty good chance.

No USB 3.0 ports or SATA 6 Gbit/sec Hard Drives though, as far as I can see in the specs. Which is kind of a bummer.

I'm not sure I like it, but then Apple isn't known to make very poor choices.

cids

Post by cids » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:52 pm

You will be able to connect USB 3 devices to your Thunderbolt port, and why would you like to use eSATA when you can buy a Thunderbolt external harddisk as well...?

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

johnnymossville

Post by johnnymossville » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:54 pm

cids wrote:You will be able to connect USB 3 devices to your Thunderbolt port, and why would you like to use eSATA when you can buy a Thunderbolt external harddisk as well...?
That's cool about using USB 3.0 devices in the port.

cids

Post by cids » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:00 pm

From the Apple website... "With PCI Express technology, you can use existing USB and FireWire peripherals — even connect to Gigabit Ethernet and Fibre Channel networks — using simple adapters."

http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

trilo

Post by trilo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Yes, the potential is definitely there for sound cards. It remains to be seen how long it will take for the products to come to market, though. As with firewire and USB, I expect that the first devices to market will be hard drives, which would also be a great benefit to anyone trying to manage audio or video production on a laptop. One of the reasons I went with the bigger MacBook Pro that I did when I got my last laptop (back when the "Pro" line started at $2K) was because I needed firewire 800 for disk I/O, and now there's a 10Gbps connection even on the little one - that's awesome!

Intel's got their formal shindig a little later today, and then we'll see what happens with PC manufacturers over the coming weeks and months. The faster that Thunderbolt makes it to the 3rd-party motherboard and system manufacturers, the faster we'll see the audio interface (or even controller) manufacturers start to take advantage of it.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:45 pm

“Thunderbolt technology is connectivity without compromise and will enable the full promise of Symphony I/O, Apogee’s professional digital audio recording platform.”
– Betty Bennett, CEO, Apogee

“We are very excited by the capabilities of Thunderbolt technology. To have two 10Gbps, bi-directional, multi-protocol channels in a single cable is a great step forward for high performance audio and video solutions.”
– Max Gutnik, Sr. Director, Product Management, Avid Technology

“Technology like this only happens about once a decade. We are thrilled about the performance and simplicity Thunderbolt technology will bring to our award-winning UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform.”
– Bill Putnam, CEO, Universal Audio

http://www.intel.com/technology/io/thun ... /index.htm

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:19 pm

A shame then that Apple still insist on lumbering their 13" laptops with poor on-board graphics and a combo drive. In 2011!
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:44 pm

casiblake wrote:A shame then that Apple still insist on lumbering their 13" laptops with poor on-board graphics and a combo drive. In 2011!
For real. I've used the optical drive in my MBP like once in the last 4 months.

ItsAllSticky

Post by ItsAllSticky » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:37 pm

I just picked up my 13" MBP today, the higher-specced one with the 2.7Ghz i7. I'm so pumped. Could care less about the ODD like a lot of people, but I'm sure I'll use it at least once before the computer goes ka-put ;) It's a really nice machine, happy to have a backlit keyboard and considering I was about to drop over $2k on the previous generation Core i7 at 2.6ghz, i'm really happy I waited. It'll still be more than enough for what I need. Most excited about thunderbolt for the HDMI capabilities (via adapter) and ready for an external drive that features this tech! Next step, replacing the 5400rpm drive with an SSD! And here's hoping Lion supports trim! The graphics don't really bother me considering I'm only using this for audio...as long as meters are relatively accurate I'm good!!!
-Ian

Live 8.2.1 (XP) :: RME Fireface UC :: PT LE 8 :: MBox 2 Mini :: Axiom 49 Classic :: Roland FC-300

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Among media device makers, Aja, Apogee, Avid, Blackmagic, and Universal Audio have all announced support as well
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11 ... _2012.html

8)