new macbook pro w/ new I/O: could be DAW game changer

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
mikemc

new macbook pro w/ new I/O: could be DAW game changer

Post by mikemc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 pm

http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

yez, and this is me saying this in a clear considered manner-- not the muffled, distorted frenetic voice of, say, LoopStationZebra as heard whilst feverishly tongueing the taint of his full-scale Jobs blow up doll.

:x
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

LoopStationZebra

Re: new macbook pro w/ new I/O: could be DAW game changer

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:58 pm

mikemc wrote:LoopStationZebra :x

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:58 pm

And DAMN YOU for posting this before I had a chance.

:wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Meh, this new tech aside, the new MBPs are just another slight spec bump to keep people buying MBPs and as usual once you go to buy one online and start customizing the specs the price increases are offensive and unjustifiable....$200 to double the ram...$100 for the same size drive but 7200 rpm instead of 5400.

2012 is supposed to be bringing a whole new redesign of the series. I’m thinking at minimum the MBPs and Air will become one series.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Been rocking my little white MacBook since 2007. No change planned. Just ordered new RAM.

MBP? Maybe 2012.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:33 pm

I have a 2006 MBP that’s a paperweight (overheats after about 30 minutes of use) and a 2008 MBP that is still chugging along. I should know for sure by next Thursday but I see a 13” Air in my near future.

On it I will just install the following:

My music library (no movies, or TV shows)
Traktor
Logic
A handful of third party plugs – possibly Komplete, Omnisphere, and Trillian and that’s it. And yes that’s minimal compared to the total plugs I have.

This is going to be my attempt at a music focused machine. Also notice I didn’t say I would install Live on it. That news should truly shake up world opinion and markets.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:44 pm

beats me wrote:Meh, this new tech aside, the new MBPs are just another slight spec bump ...
Huh?

They're quad-cores man!

Been waiting for this. So glad I didn't buy one of the i7's. Time to sell the Core2duo MBP. Horray for quad-core!
I imagine a 2.2 i7 processor will perform similar to my 2.8 c2d processor. Only I'll get twice the processing power now. Finally I won't have to worry so much about limiting my use of Alchemy or Aether etc. Not to mention I've been looking forward to going high-res anti-glare on t he screen and bumping up to 8gb ram from 4. This will be my all-in one power bump.
Professional Shark Jumper.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Call me when the MBP carries hex or octo cores.

8)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:48 pm

beats me wrote:That news should truly shake up world opinion and markets.

THIS

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:18 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
beats me wrote:Meh, this new tech aside, the new MBPs are just another slight spec bump ...
Huh?

They're quad-cores man!

Been waiting for this. So glad I didn't buy one of the i7's. Time to sell the Core2duo MBP. Horray for quad-core!
I imagine a 2.2 i7 processor will perform similar to my 2.8 c2d processor. Only I'll get twice the processing power now. Finally I won't have to worry so much about limiting my use of Alchemy or Aether etc. Not to mention I've been looking forward to going high-res anti-glare on t he screen and bumping up to 8gb ram from 4. This will be my all-in one power bump.

Most of your music related problems could be solved on your current computer if you just stopped using Live.

Good luck thinking just a new computer alone is going to make Live a monument to ulimited track and plug-in greatness.

mstealth

Post by mstealth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

i don't like macbook at all :D its not much compatible and processor upgrading is another problem :S

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm

boring. I waited for a detachable screen that you could use as an ipad. Instead I get a plug for non-existing expensive gadgets from the future.

(should I or shouldn't I buy this generation? I am working on a white 2006 macbook, and video out and CD drive are broken already. Also I just earned a nice extra at work. Argh, I don't want to give my money to apple. I better buy a used piano. Not. hmrpfhmfprhm)

D K

Post by D K » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:21 pm

goddammit, been avoiding the forum because of influences like this.
thanks mike, i thought i was doing good by replacing my hd with solid state. :x

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:27 pm

beats me wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Huh?

They're quad-cores man!

Most of your music related problems could be solved on your current computer if you just stopped using Live.

Good luck thinking just a new computer alone is going to make Live a monument to ulimited track and plug-in greatness.
Whoah slow down.

It's quite simple. See I don't have music related problems. But I do have a tendency to make choices based on conserving cpu sometimes so that I don't have to freeze/bounce. I also dont' like to have certain synths run at higher sample rates even though they do sound a bit better, since I want to conserve cpu. This is quite a speed bump so I don't have to think about conserving cpu nearly as much now. It just helps focus more on what sounds best vs. what uses an acceptable amount of cpu to keep everything live and unbounced.

This computer won't write magical songs or make my battery last longer. But it'll probably do exactly what I want. Give me more cpu. There are resons people like to use MacPros. I like laptops.
Professional Shark Jumper.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 pm

D K wrote:goddammit, been avoiding the forum because of influences like this.
thanks mike, i thought i was doing good by replacing my hd with solid state. :x

:)

UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.