And i continue to wonder...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bedroomDJ

And i continue to wonder...

Post by bedroomDJ » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm

So ive been messing around with tutorials and stuff..Im just curious.. I have made clips and then changed the envelopes for some of the macros i set for my effects... then i draw in different stuff and play... it repeats similar things but is never consistent. I have a vocoder and beat repeat on.. so what im wondering is now that i have a cool sound how do i record it so it plays the same thing everytime? Also when i record from clip view to arrangment view.... then play back what i recorded to arangment view it dosnt play back the effects as i recorded them, it plays it back with whatever the paramaters are at when i finished recording....

If anyone has advice i guess im mostly confused on the clip view vs. arrangement... If i want to produce a song do i make it in arangment view and automate my effects and all those things there? And if i want to play live performances... i would make lots of clips with different loops and things then use a device to launch them? finally if you want to produce a song by playing your clips live with an apc 40 instead of recording them and drawing into arrangment view is it best to play ableton live and record an audio out into a third party program, like protools or something to master it with?

thanks, i know my thread is unorganized... but i want to start being creative with what i've learned on operator and analog, its just hard to get things to mesh right now with bringing different clips in and out, adding and taking effects away and all that good stuff. i've been trying to make clips then record them as im playing them into arrangment view and its sloppy i feel. Also as far as super hard drums and basslines for hard EDM and also dubbed out chillbient and downtempo dose anyone have advice?

daaa

Re: And i continue to wonder...

Post by daaa » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:50 am

one way to do it: create a new track in session view.
for "audio from" you select the track you want to record.
arm the track, hit record.
play your track & manipulate all the macros you want to manipulate.
hit stop.
now you have a audio recording of your clip.

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 am

so then i would use those clips to record in arrangment view, but that still dosnt help if i want to bring an effect in on a track for a bit, to build something up... then right after i drop the beat, i want to use the same clip but without the effect.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Also when i record from clip view to arrangment view.... then play back what i recorded to arangment view it dosnt play back the effects as i recorded them, it plays it back with whatever the paramaters are at when i finished recording....
You need to record/edit the device automation as you go. you can even automate the devices on/off buttons.

NB: For fx like beatrepeat, da blue glitch or any other random plug ins you may need to to record the audio into another track (as daaa said) as they don't often do the same thing twice!

Dummy clips and duplicated tracks are also great tools...

Its a long and winding journey your on with many, many paths, none of which are 'right' or 'wrong'....

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:21 am

yeah i know im starting out and i can make sounds in operator and analog and stuff.. i just dont even know where to start as far as arranging a song...

so when u use an apc 40 and play ur whole song live, you record it the same way? just put all the sends to a new audio track and start playing?