All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help - looking to buy a Feb'11 refresh MBP 17
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 pm 

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Posts: 3131
Location: Reading, UK
Hi all, looking to buy a custom build new Feb'11 refresh MBP 17 as soon as possible, but have a number of questions for thos who knows their way around Apple Macs as TBH I know f*** all about them :)

(As background, Im a freelance IT software developer as well as using this for music - need the laptop to support both activities - Mac OS for music, Windows 7/64 for IT work).

1. Intel support chipset flaw - does anyone know EXACTLY what Apple have done regarding this?
I am guess one of:
1. Waited for replacement from intel - shipping seems too soon.
2. Only use the 3Gbps ports and not using the 6Gbps ports (Net contains suggestions that Apple made a 'logic tweak' to get aorund the issue, which sounds to me like they intended to use the 6Gbps ports and downgraded back to the 3Gbps ports - if so will postpone purchase, but I need to know one way or the other)

2. I am tempted by 256GB SSD rather than a mechanical HD as the laptop is likely to be used near very loud PA systems. Should I go with Apple or just take the cheapest mechanical HD and sort out an SSD myself?

3. Because I also need to have alot of online storage, then I am also tempted by an OptiBay mod to replace the otical drive with an additional SSD in the future (160GB sample library, music files etc).

4. Is Apple care worthwhile and is apple care support impacted by swapping out the HD or optical drive and going with an Optibay etc?

5. I need to also run windows 7/64 via bootcamp as a second and heavily used OS as I still make much of my living from IT work as well as music. Pre-refresh MBPs were not exactly perfect for running windows - power management etc. Does anyone know if this situation has improved post refresh? Is the situation likely to be even worse with thunderbolt / display etc?

(Also posted this to Apple forums)

Thanks all for any answer anyone might be able to give.
K

_________________
Nothing to see here - move along!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help - looking to buy a Feb'11 refresh MBP 17
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:40 pm 

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Posts: 10565
Applecare FTW.

Chipset flaw? We are talking about the new quads in your new machine, aren't we? :P

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/loopstationzebra


Machinesworking wrote:
as put forth by you is the most pussy liberal/glad handing conservative reverse racist mush brained thinking concept I've ever read typed by your hands.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help - looking to buy a Feb'11 refresh MBP 17
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:48 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm
Posts: 2929
1. Intel support chipset flaw
Quote:
Intel refers to the processors used in the new MacBook Pros as its “second-generation of Core i processors”; during development, they were codenamed “Sandy Bridge.” Earlier this year, Intel discovered problems in the chipset of Sandy Bridge processors that were shipping, but Apple vice president of worldwide Mac hardware marketing David Moody told Macworld that the company was using the latest updated versions, which corrected the flaw.

http://www.macworld.com/article/158134/2011/02/mbp_update.html

Quote:
2. I am tempted by 256GB SSD rather than a mechanical HD as the laptop is likely to be used near very loud PA systems. Should I go with Apple or just take the cheapest mechanical HD and sort out an SSD myself?

http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html#SSD -> OWC (UK dunno)

also: http://blog.macsales.com/9035-owc-announces-memory-upgrades-for-new-2011-macbook-pro-models

Quote:
3. Because I also need to have alot of online storage, then I am also tempted by an OptiBay mod to replace the otical drive with an additional SSD in the future (160GB sample library, music files etc).
4. Is Apple care worthwhile and is apple care support impacted by swapping out the HD or optical drive and going with an Optibay etc?

Ask OWC

---------------------------------------------------------
Check here for test & hardware options in the next days: http://macperformanceguide.com/

---------------------------------------------------------
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Early-2011-Teardown/4990/1

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2011/02/macbookpro-benchmarks-early-2011/ 8O

_________________
Rahad Jackson wrote:
My Awesome Mix Tape #6


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help - looking to buy a Feb'11 refresh MBP 17
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm
Posts: 2929
German: http://hardwrk.com/macbook-ssd-hdd-adapter-kit.html

_________________
Rahad Jackson wrote:
My Awesome Mix Tape #6


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help - looking to buy a Feb'11 refresh MBP 17
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:13 pm 

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Posts: 3131
Location: Reading, UK
Thanks for all those links :)

That macworld article was the first that actually said they were using updated fixed chips rather than some other quotes that hinted they had bypassed the problem, perhaps by downgrading the SATA ports.

Would in interested to know exactly which ports are used in the new MBPs - ie the ^Gbps ports or the 3Gbps port in case this has a bearing on future SSD choices etc.

_________________
Nothing to see here - move along!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help - looking to buy a Feb'11 refresh MBP 17
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm
Posts: 2929
Quote:
Would in interested to know exactly which ports are used in the new MBPs - ie the ^Gbps ports or the 3Gbps port in case this has a bearing on future SSD choices etc.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102430

_________________
Rahad Jackson wrote:
My Awesome Mix Tape #6


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help - looking to buy a Feb'11 refresh MBP 17
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:21 pm 

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Posts: 3131
Location: Reading, UK
Cheers again :)

Looking like I should go with cheapest stock HD get a SATA 3 sandforce based SSD later. Hopefully the guy in that thread will have more info in the next day or so about the specific port being used (question over the optical port at the mo).

_________________
Nothing to see here - move along!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help - looking to buy a Feb'11 refresh MBP 17
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:29 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm
Posts: 2929
My pleasure! :)

Really keep checking http://macperformanceguide.com/ - great site with lots of good info on high-performance configs.

_________________
Rahad Jackson wrote:
My Awesome Mix Tape #6


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group