Hi all, looking to buy a custom build new Feb'11 refresh MBP 17 as soon as possible, but have a number of questions for thos who knows their way around Apple Macs as TBH I know f*** all about them
(As background, Im a freelance IT software developer as well as using this for music - need the laptop to support both activities - Mac OS for music, Windows 7/64 for IT work).
1. Intel support chipset flaw - does anyone know EXACTLY what Apple have done regarding this?
I am guess one of:
1. Waited for replacement from intel - shipping seems too soon.
2. Only use the 3Gbps ports and not using the 6Gbps ports (Net contains suggestions that Apple made a 'logic tweak' to get aorund the issue, which sounds to me like they intended to use the 6Gbps ports and downgraded back to the 3Gbps ports - if so will postpone purchase, but I need to know one way or the other)
2. I am tempted by 256GB SSD rather than a mechanical HD as the laptop is likely to be used near very loud PA systems. Should I go with Apple or just take the cheapest mechanical HD and sort out an SSD myself?
3. Because I also need to have alot of online storage, then I am also tempted by an OptiBay mod to replace the otical drive with an additional SSD in the future (160GB sample library, music files etc).
4. Is Apple care worthwhile and is apple care support impacted by swapping out the HD or optical drive and going with an Optibay etc?
5. I need to also run windows 7/64 via bootcamp as a second and heavily used OS as I still make much of my living from IT work as well as music. Pre-refresh MBPs were not exactly perfect for running windows - power management etc. Does anyone know if this situation has improved post refresh? Is the situation likely to be even worse with thunderbolt / display etc?
(Also posted this to Apple forums)
Thanks all for any answer anyone might be able to give.