Stability progress statment from Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Is live 8 running stable for you?

Bring on live 9
13%
It is stable
41%
Crashing somtimes
30%
Still crashing a lot!
15%

Total votes: 112

ze2be

Re: Stability progress statment from Ableton

Post by ze2be » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 am

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:32 am

will he give the next qualit statement now?

listen to mr ED
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 am

1. I don't see any statement from ableton in this thread. Misleading subject line is misleading.
2. Poll doesn't consider platform? Meaningless poll is meaningless.
3. Of course, I'm one of those guys who hasn't had a handful of crashes in 8 years.
But to be fair maybe I don't push the s/w as hard as others.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:45 am

oblique strategies wrote:
nowtime wrote: Suffice to say that this is the most unstable version of Live for the widest range of people, for the longest length of time that has ever existed.
Suffice it to say that you just made that up with a good dash of hyperbole to make it sound like SCIENCE!

The only time Live crashes for me is when I run out of RAM. It would be nicer if it had some fancy RAM management, but it's really my fault for bad set management.

The only people motived to post on this kind of poll are those with major issues, if it's all working fine, then why bother? Me I just post cos I hate dodgy stats.

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 am

Simbosan wrote:
oblique strategies wrote:
nowtime wrote: Suffice to say that this is the most unstable version of Live for the widest range of people, for the longest length of time that has ever existed.
Suffice it to say that you just made that up with a good dash of hyperbole to make it sound like SCIENCE!
Perhaps you have not been following this story very closely because for you Live has been stable.

The company came out themselves & acknowledged problems back in December 2009. Now a company doesn't do this if there are only a few people being effected. And, to my knowledge, the company had never made a similar announcement prior to Live 8.

This is fully documented:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... evelopment
Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009

"Dear Ableton users,

Some of you have experienced and reported problems with Live 8 several months ago that we have still failed to fix. This is both painful and necessary for us to discuss. We owe you sincere apologies, as well as an explanation and outlook for the future.

Ableton values quality over innovation. Our engineers will stop whatever they are doing to fix a bug when they become aware of it. They must, however, rely on a process that prepares the incoming information and funnels it to them appropriately. Establishing and maintaining this process is the responsibility of management -- particularly us, Bernd and Gerhard -- and this is where things have gone wrong while we let our attention divert to ambitious new projects.

Our apologies also extend to both the Ableton developers and tech support colleagues because they want to be proud of software and service that users love.

We have now decided to:

* suspend all development towards new features while the whole team joins forces to address the current issues. This effort is open ended and will result in a free Live 8 update;
* make process changes to prevent similar situations from happening in the future.

We hope this plan finds your understanding and agreement. We'd like to wish you a very happy holiday season and a wonderful 2010!

Gerhard Behles, CEO
Bernd Roggendorf, CTO