one track, 5 clips, 1 midi control?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
herathe

one track, 5 clips, 1 midi control?

Post by herathe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:53 pm

hey again guys,

so i have one midi track with sampler loaded in.

on the midi track i have 5 different clips.

i want to play the first one, then when i see fit play the second one, then the third etc etc.

however i want to be able to choose when they switch rather than it being predetermined by follow actions.

now i know that i could simply assign a midi button to each clip and cycle through that way.

however, i want to be able to just press one button, and that button makes the clip being played the next one on the track.

alternativly being able to assign certain ranges on a knob to each clip, so i can twist a midi knob and as the midi value crosses a thershold it starts playing the next clip (i.e 1-20 is the first clip, 21-40 is the second etc etc.)

i know how this could be done using max for live but unfortunately i dont have it at the moment

thanks in advance for you help guys! i always get a good response from you lot

all the best,

Josh miston

Cezband

Re: one track, 5 clips, 1 midi control?

Post by Cezband » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:26 pm

This is something to do with "Select Next Scene on Launch" isn't it? Your one midi-mapped button is your generic scene-launchy button, and each time you press it, the scene launches and then highlights the next one. So the next time you press it, it launches that following scene, and so on.

vague vague vague, but I'm cranky and need caffeine so that's all your getting for now! :P
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 pm

You can do this very simply w/ sampler. Go to the zone in sampler and hit the SEL button. Then drag one of the samples across the entire range (if not already) then right click and select 'Distribute ranges evenly'. Then map the selector at the top to a macro and voila! your instrument will now play the clip you choose.

Taking this idea to the next level you could do this to the VEL zone in sampler and then throw a velocity plug in front w/ random velocity and now you have an instrument that will play a random clip. I use tricks like this all the time.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Live: A million and one ways to skin a cat...

Thats why I love it...

I pretty much find something new everyday on here :)

(And I've been using Live since ver 3)

herathe

Post by herathe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:16 pm

cheers guys excellent replies

although im not sure were 100% on the same page

with the first reply i see what your getting at, but how do i access this 'select next scene on launch, and how will that next scene be mapped to the same midi function?

also, with the second one im not really sure what you mean.

if i make myself a bit clearer maybe it will help

basically the sample is a really short 2 second clip of a vocal

the midi clips im talking about are triggering the sample at increasing rates

so the first one is just C3 across one bar,

the second one is two C3's each being played for half of the bar, thus when that one is triggered the vocal sample will play quicker and chop off the end

the third is four C3's each a quarter of a bar

then the fourth is 16 C3's so its like a really quick jerky a a a a a (if that description even helps lol!)

thanks for you help guys, sorry for being a bit slow on this one

Josh miston

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:49 pm

herathe wrote:cheers guys excellent replies

although im not sure were 100% on the same page

with the first reply i see what your getting at, but how do i access this 'select next scene on launch, and how will that next scene be mapped to the same midi function?

also, with the second one im not really sure what you mean.

if i make myself a bit clearer maybe it will help

basically the sample is a really short 2 second clip of a vocal

the midi clips im talking about are triggering the sample at increasing rates

so the first one is just C3 across one bar,

the second one is two C3's each being played for half of the bar, thus when that one is triggered the vocal sample will play quicker and chop off the end

the third is four C3's each a quarter of a bar

then the fourth is 16 C3's so its like a really quick jerky a a a a a (if that description even helps lol!)

thanks for you help guys, sorry for being a bit slow on this one

Josh miston
w/in sampler there is an option to loop the clip. So once you set up your instrument rack w/ a knob to control which sample is selected all you have to do is put a one bar MIDI track w/ a single note (any note) lasting one bar. Then when you use your selector to select the clip it will automatically play whatever clip is selected on the next '1'.

This would be a lot easier if I could show you. Maybe I'll make a video.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:58 pm

herathe wrote:hey again guys,

i want to play the first one, then when i see fit play the second one, then the third etc etc.

however i want to be able to choose when they switch rather than it being predetermined by follow actions.

now i know that i could simply assign a midi button to each clip and cycle through that way.

however, i want to be able to just press one button, and that button makes the clip being played the next one on the track.

alternativly being able to assign certain ranges on a knob to each clip, so i can twist a midi knob and as the midi value crosses a thershold it starts playing the next clip (i.e 1-20 is the first clip, 21-40 is the second etc etc.)

i know how this could be done using max for live but unfortunately i dont have it at the moment

all the best,

Josh miston
You don't need a midi controller for that, you can assign your keyboard to do that as well.

1. go to preferences, select Record Warp Launch and click "Select next scene on launch" on.
2. Press cmd+k or alternatively ctrl+k to assign keyboard keys (or in case you want to assign a midi controller cmd+m)
3. on the master channel, just under stop clips square appears a tiny play button, choose that and assign a key you wish to use to launch clips by pressing that key
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

herathe

Post by herathe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:33 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
herathe wrote:hey again guys,

all the best,

Josh miston
You don't need a midi controller for that, you can assign your keyboard to do that as well.

1. go to preferences, select Record Warp Launch and click "Select next scene on launch" on.
2. Press cmd+k or alternatively ctrl+k to assign keyboard keys (or in case you want to assign a midi controller cmd+m)
3. on the master channel, just under stop clips square appears a tiny play button, choose that and assign a key you wish to use to launch clips by pressing that key
yeah youve nearly got it there, trouble is when i assign something to the master play button, it does work, but it plays every clip on that scene, and as i have other clips in different tracks thats not what i want, i want to be able to do just what youve described but only on one track.....

also aceluby a video would be ace cos im not quite sure what you mean.

thanks again for the help guys really appreciate it, i think were nearly there

Josh miston

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:09 am

herathe wrote:[
yeah youve nearly got it there, trouble is when i assign something to the master play button, it does work, but it plays every clip on that scene, and as i have other clips in different tracks thats not what i want, i want to be able to do just what youve described but only on one track.....
What's the big deal? Don't place other clips you don't wish to launch at the same time on the same row. You are aware, aren't you, that you can add more than 20 rows which are there by default by pressing cmd+i or ctrl+i?
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 am

LeifonMars wrote:1. go to preferences, select Record Warp Launch and click "Select next scene on launch" on.
Thanks LeifonMars, that's what I was attempting (badly) to explain. :)
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Read this thread, and get ClyphX.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153113

Using this script, you can program in sequences that play out step by step each time the clip is lauched. Meaning you can launch your first clip, and the next time you trigger same control, it will play the second clip and so on.

Check it out

herathe

Post by herathe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:59 am

!STiTCH! wrote:Read this thread, and get ClyphX.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153113

Using this script, you can program in sequences that play out step by step each time the clip is lauched. Meaning you can launch your first clip, and the next time you trigger same control, it will play the second clip and so on.

Check it out
wow this is seriously incredible! that is going to make my life about 1000% percent easier with respect to setting up my live set for gigs. did u program this?

also would this work on a mac?

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:06 pm

edit: brainfart removed

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:13 pm

Cezband wrote:This is something to do with "Select Next Scene on Launch" isn't it? Your one midi-mapped button is your generic scene-launchy button, and each time you press it, the scene launches and then highlights the next one. So the next time you press it, it launches that following scene, and so on.

vague vague vague, but I'm cranky and need caffeine so that's all your getting for now! :P
would be nice if the sect next secen on luanc could be assigned to individual group tracks
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,