PA Speakers - SRM450v2 (Thread title changed)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
continuous

PA Speakers - SRM450v2 (Thread title changed)

Post by continuous » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:04 am

A friend of mine is really starting to push me to play with him and a drummer. I'm set up on Bass fairly well but want to be able to run my lappie (soft synths) and X-Station through an amp as well.

Any suggestions?

This looks kinda cool:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SFXSSmkII

And I always like the look of Roland Cubes and the sound of my friends Mobile Cube:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-CM-3 ... 1167688.gc

cheers!
Last edited by continuous on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

prebentious

Re: Amp for playing Lappie with Band

Post by prebentious » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:54 am

I use a mackie srm450. Tons of power and clean sound. It'll take a beating too. You can probably get away with a 350 as well.

continuous

Post by continuous » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:03 am

^^^ Thanx!
So you use a pair of these? I bet they sound awesome!!! A little expensive for me - pretty broke at the mo.

I'm hoping to spend a lot less and would love to have just one cabinet (stereo?) - at least at first.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 am

Well, it depends on so much what kind of noise you are going to drive through your cabinets, but in case your noise has a wide range of frequencies, and you wish to keep it that way, PA-loudspeakers is the only way to go. I got recently for rehearsal purpose a pair of JBL 512 PRX loudspeakers and a pair of subs as well. Price/quality ratio is very good indeed imo and the volume levels are easily enough to embed drummer.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:19 pm

I would also take a look at the Roland KC-60 and KC-150. Great sounding amp. I wouldn' worry to much about being in stereo. Most live venues PAs will be setup in mono anyway.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KC60/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KC150/

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:33 pm

ttaralli wrote:Most live venues PAs will be setup in mono anyway.
This is what people keep saying, and maybe it is so on the dance floor, but all of the live venues I've been playing/mixing have been stereo set ups.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:00 pm

ttaralli wrote:I would also take a look at the Roland KC-60 and KC-150. Great sounding amp. I wouldn' worry to much about being in stereo. Most live venues PAs will be setup in mono anyway.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KC60/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KC150/
+1 on the Rolands, and they can be linked in stereo pairs. I have abused the KC150 plenty in band situations with no issues. Behringer has some knock offs of these if your looking to spend a little less. (Not sure on the quality of them.)
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

continuous

Post by continuous » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:00 am

ignore...
Last edited by continuous on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:02 am

Reviving this old thread...

So I bought a nice little Mackie mixer 802 VLZ3 which I am very happy with. I also bought a couple of Thumps... those are going back tomorrow. They sound great (to my ears) when driven consistently but have a fuzzy distortion during quiet passages. Talked to Mackie support today and was told that's pretty much a known issue and that I'd be a lot happier with 350/450s. So I think I'll just try them out tomorrow but doing research I've seen a good amount of complaints about Mackie's QC... especially 2 or 3 years back when they moved their production to China.

So in short are there some SRM450v2 owners here that are content?

Thanks!

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:07 am

continuous wrote:SRM450v2 owners here that are content?
Those won't kick enough for the kind of set up you described in your first post. I would save a bit more and go for JBL PRXs I suggested above.

automapper

Post by automapper » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:57 am

Behringer has some knock offs of these if your looking to spend a little less. (Not sure on the quality of them.)

Don't get the Behringers, they are crap. I had the Eurolive B212's they sound OK and are loud, but, I picked up a pair and they tweeter died in 5 minutes. Took it back the next day, no problem. Then just after the warranty expired one completely died and the shop couldn't get parts for it. :evil: If you have the cash get the Yorkvilles. http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=38

mojofunk

Re: PA Speakers - SRM450v2 (Thread title changed)

Post by mojofunk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:07 pm

You could do worse than a pair of used JBL Eons - get the G2s (more wattage, etc). I got a pair for 500$, and they work very well.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm gonna take back the Thumps and give the JBL's a listen (the eons). Have read pretty mixed reviews on them? Would love to hear the PRX, Yorkville and RCF but that'll take a bit more effort. I'm also considering QSC K12s as they seem very well built and well regarded. Time to have a listen but pretty sure I'm gonna pass on the 450v2s then.

edit: Just wanted to add... there's a whole new learning curve here as there is with any new subject so cheers for all the info!

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 pm

continuous wrote:Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm gonna take back the Thumps and give the JBL's a listen (the eons). Have read pretty mixed reviews on them? Would love to hear the PRX, Yorkville and RCF but that'll take a bit more effort. I'm also considering QSC K12s as they seem very well built and well regarded. Time to have a listen but pretty sure I'm gonna pass on the 450v2s then.

edit: Just wanted to add... there's a whole new learning curve here as there is with any new subject so cheers for all the info!
Eons (g2) sound godawful when driven to the max (thinking of that boxy sound gives me shivers), but then again they served me well for almost a decade and most (if not all) of those plastic box speakers sound terrible when driven to the max. If godawfulness doesn't bother you, then go Eon route (it's for rehearsal use anyway I take), heck you can go Mackie route as well just as long as you get a pair with enough power. Just remember that the SPL those Mackies you were considering won't be enough for embedding an acoustic drumkit, especially if you're not planning to get a pair of subs as well.

I got my pair of PRXs last spring after testing several manufacturers in the same range (including RCF, HK, dB, EV) and they were imo best bang for the buck at the time. What is the situation now, almost a year later, that I don't know.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 pm

When I first posted I was really thinking 'keyboard amp' but then started realizing that I would probably be better off investing in a P.A. even if I have to buy one speaker at a time. That's why I went ahead and revived my old post. So I never really checked out your previous suggestion but I def will now!