ReCycle or Stylus RMX?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nuxnamon

Re: ReCycle or Stylus RMX?

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm

polyslax wrote:
esky wrote:Spectrasonics is a shit company, they charge money from you if you want to resell your stuff. I have Stylus RMX and Atmosphere but i haven't even installed it.
Just to bring some balance to this statement... Many companies charge a fee for licence transfers, some companies simply don't allow transfers period, so there's nothing uniquely bad going on here.

Spectrasonics is pretty up front about the fact that they treat loyal customers well, and I can say this has most definitely been my experience. Major free upgrades to RMX and Omnisphere that could very easily have been paid for upgrades. Trilian was a free upgrade because of the inconvenience the Trilogy wrapper caused Mac users. I think Omnisphere was a $99 upgrade for those who owned Atmosphere, Trilogy/Trilian and RMX.
yup, spectrasonics is probably one of the better companies out there.. I got Trillian for free, got the expanded RMX library for $99, and the updates are pretty impressive and free.. lastly, the quality of the instruments are second to none IMO.. I just don't understand buying around $600 worth of software and not even installing it. if it wasn't installed, it wasn't registered.. in that case, maybe they shouldn't be charging but i still don't get it.. why buy instruments your not even going to try..

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 pm

esky wrote:
polyslax wrote:
esky wrote:Spectrasonics is a shit company, they charge money from you if you want to resell your stuff. I have Stylus RMX and Atmosphere but i haven't even installed it.
Just to bring some balance to this statement... Many companies charge a fee for licence transfers, some companies simply don't allow transfers period, so there's nothing uniquely bad going on here.

Spectrasonics is pretty up front about the fact that they treat loyal customers well, and I can say this has most definitely been my experience. Major free upgrades to RMX and Omnisphere that could very easily have been paid for upgrades. Trilian was a free upgrade because of the inconvenience the Trilogy wrapper caused Mac users. I think Omnisphere was a $99 upgrade for those who owned Atmosphere, Trilogy/Trilian and RMX.
Then sorry for beeing a little unbalanced...:-). You are indeed a loyal Spectrasonics customer. I don't know any other audio plugin company that wants cash money for license transfer. Can you name me one...? Just to avoid buying their stuff...

Wow, your entire basis for considering a company shit is them charging a fee to transfer a license.

Best of luck on your impulse buy and resale based wealth building scheme.

esky

Post by esky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Wow, your entire basis for considering a company shit is them charging a fee to transfer a license.
Nonsense, i just said that the policies of charging money for a license transfer is shit. In this way Spectrasonics...not for me anymore.
And i had them installed and used them but now i don't use them anymore. Sorry guys, i don't want to step on anybodys feet. Forgive me...

spektralisk

Post by spektralisk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Big advantage of RMX is that it preserves excellent quality when you manipulate a tempo, especially when you slow down a loop. As far as I remember RMX plays back loops slices internally. I compared a loop from RMX resampled in live and sliced with RMX itself - RMX performs much better at low tempos.

Get both :) U need ReCycle to import loops to RMX and mangle all that further in RMX :)

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Bit the bullet on RMX Xpanded for $380.

Fingers crossed it lives up to the hype. :D

Nice review Tarekith - thanks for posting.

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Nobody mentioned the RMX ability to change time signatures, while still retaining the essence of the loop. That's really handy for tunes in 3/4 or 6/8 (or any odd time, I guess).

Actually, I'm considering Reason vs RMX for my next purchase...and leaning toward RMX.

[edit] I've decided to go with RMX. My favorite features, in addition to all those wonderful loops:

Time Designer (change anything to different time signature)
Groove Lock (make all your grooves match the one you locked to)
Ability to simplify a groove (variations in a snap)

Actually, I guees those are all part of Time Designer. Check out their video here (http://www.spectrasonics.net/video/ipad ... .php?id=20) and see what I mean. It's amazing.
Last edited by TroyP on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7redBl@dder

Post by 7redBl@dder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:09 pm

I found that throwing rex files that i created in recycle into stylus rmx
does not give perfect results.
When using the chaos designer with the rmx library is great,but my
own rex files come out far from ideal.
Of course it could just be me being a bit cack handed with recycle
anyone else finding this? any tips would be appreciated.

sounddevisor

Post by sounddevisor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:14 pm

7redBl@dder - I have gotten great results using ReCycle on my own material and then bringing it into RMX. It's often worth the trouble of manually setting the slice points in ReCycle - the default points it comes up with aren't always the best choice.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:09 am

So got my copy of Stylus Xpanded today, got it installed, and two hours into playing with it, it seems absolutely worth the price.

Anybody know how to MIDI map the various parameters? I haven't checked the manual/documentation or tutorial DVD yet, but nothing jumped out at me as being an easy 'click here to MIDI learn' anywhere.

Is my best bet just to use the Configure dropdown for the device in Live?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:46 am

Looks like I'm just an idiot.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this, but damn if I'm not severely impressed by what you can do with this thing.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:26 am

Watch all the tutorial vids, you'll be blown away at what it can do. Now start saving for Omnisphere :)

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:31 pm

Anybody have any workflow suggestions for working with RMX?

I'm trying to find the best way to work with multiple loops and patterns and make them work in Session View.

I'm not sure if it would be more straightforward to just bounce/resample loops and patterns and then just use them as regular audio clips, or if it would be better to figure out a way to automate starting/stopping the different patterns within RMX itself.

Also trying to figure out ways to play use it live as a groovebox.

Any ideas, on either count?

sounddevisor

Post by sounddevisor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 pm

agent314 - all the RMX patterns are driven by MIDI, so rather than resampling them you can just drag the relevant MIDI pattern into a session slot - just set up a bunch of MIDI tracks in Live and have them send to the appropriate RMX MIDI channel. That way you get the launching flexibility of session view, but retain the audio flexibility that's built in to RMX.

- sounddevisor

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 pm

sounddevisor wrote:agent314 - all the RMX patterns are driven by MIDI, so rather than resampling them you can just drag the relevant MIDI pattern into a session slot - just set up a bunch of MIDI tracks in Live and have them send to the appropriate RMX MIDI channel. That way you get the launching flexibility of session view, but retain the audio flexibility that's built in to RMX.

- sounddevisor
Nice! Do you think that would work Live (running RMX as a VST) or does it take too much CPU or have too much latency?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 am

It can be pretty CPU intensive if you start using a lot of channels and effects in RMX, so I guess it would depend on your computer specs. Worth trying out for yourself though.