Yamaha hs80 monitors and the controls on the back???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zahnerj

Yamaha hs80 monitors and the controls on the back???

Post by zahnerj » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:48 am

I have been producing for 2 years with shitty computer speakers, I finally got the yamaha hs80 studio monitors so I can start doing some professional work, but I don't understand the controls on the back, EQ?Room controls?low cut? high trim? I actually had a few songs i produced that i thought sounded awesome but i played them through the yamaha's and they sound like shit, its like there dry alot of the wet/reverby sounds are gone. Can anyone help me out with a site or a way to learn this stuff so I can get back to making music? Anything will be greatly appreciated, thanks so much, peace n beats!

bulo

Re: Yamaha hs80 monitors and the controls on the back???

Post by bulo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 am

Your problem is quite simple: your mixes are shitty.
Mixing with computer speakers is not the most appropriate method if you want good mixes.
So the solution is also quite "simple": you'll have to learn how to mix with those new monitors and redo all your work.
The controls on the back are EQs. Basically, you should leave everything at 0, for the response to be as "flat" as possible. These controls are here to provide corrections if you have noticeable room problems. You'll find more informations about this in the monitors manual.
Anyway, these are good monitors and not the most difficults to deal with, so now you just need some time andsome work.
Have fun!
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Excellent music on your site bulo.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

dru

Post by dru » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:08 pm

I have a set of these and love them. It didn't take me long to get used to them either (came from a 2.1 Samson 5" setup).

I left all controls at default and have treated my room and taken measurements and it's surprisingly a very flat response curve.

Having decent monitors is one thing, but to get the most out of them you need to treat your room properly and have your monitors placed correctly.

bulo

Post by bulo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Thank you LeifOnMars :roll:
These are pretty old and different things, but I'm happy you like it.
I have to update, I have to update, I have to update...
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 pm

dru wrote:I have a set of these and love them. It didn't take me long to get used to them either (came from a 2.1 Samson 5" setup).

I left all controls at default and have treated my room and taken measurements and it's surprisingly a very flat response curve.

Having decent monitors is one thing, but to get the most out of them you need to treat your room properly and have your monitors placed correctly.
I can tell exactly the same...!

A proof that the Yamahas are really reliable, is that I sent my work to my partners and they listened
all my sounds through Adams7. They tell me it sounds beautiful.

You can use the low cutoff on the back to have an idea how your mix sounds on speakers with less to no bass.

But for production, keep everything at zero.

I would also recommend to listen to all your favorite music CD's and watch also some newer movies on DVD.
This way you get used to the sound of your monitors and know how your sound has to become.
Listen, listen, listen....! Become adjusted to your monitors, before you produce or correct your own music.
You will hear that your monitors are good and that your mixes are not.

I had the same problem, and had to rework all my stuff. They never sounded good on other systems.
Now with the Yamahas I take my mix and listen everywhere, on any system.
And it sounds always good !!!

Their advertising is not lying...
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

zahnerj

Post by zahnerj » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:34 pm

thanks alot all! I am going to get the measurments for my room and try my best to do it right, I will probably need advice with that also, in time. One question in the mean time, I noticed the speakers have a horrible poping sound sometimes, with my mixes I'm sure thats clipping and just "shitty mixes" but I played deadmau5 "some chords" and during the breakdown of the song it did the same poping noise, but it was not through ableton, it was through windows media player, anyone know why it does that??

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:23 pm

zahnerj wrote:I have been producing for 2 years with shitty computer speakers, I finally got the yamaha hs80 studio monitors so I can start doing some professional work, but I don't understand the controls on the back, EQ?Room controls?low cut? high trim? I actually had a few songs i produced that i thought sounded awesome but i played them through the yamaha's and they sound like shit, its like there dry alot of the wet/reverby sounds are gone. Can anyone help me out with a site or a way to learn this stuff so I can get back to making music? Anything will be greatly appreciated, thanks so much, peace n beats!
Hi! First i have to say that "Bulo" did hit the right spot quiet well! I own the Yamaha HS80's plus the Yamaha HS10W Subwoofer myself and have to say that i love my set up. You just cant fool thoose babys. But one thing i learned is that you need to add the HS10W to your setup before you start to do final mixes. The difference is amazing with the Sub and i would even go so far to say that it is extremly hard to do a final mix without the Sub thats what i learned when i first started with the HS80's alone. You will only be fooling yourself without it. With the HS10W you will be able to mix the low-end like with nothing else in that price class. With the Sub you will be able to turn off everything under 80hz or 100hz on your HS80's and let the Sub do the hard work, and the system will thank you with even more power and a solid lowend thats sounds good on all systems! That way you will save a lot of time and your mixes will sound good on all systems if you mix it right!

PS: In my studio i did alot of testing to find the best "hotspot" and so should you do. DON'T sit to close to them! I got 1.90 cm between the HS80's. My hotspot is excatly 1,90 cm from the Speakers away and the HS10W is placed in the middle of the HS80's. Very important!

I love my Yamaha's and would not buy anything else to do my final mixes with! :lol:
Last edited by xzusa8ky on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:28 pm

zahnerj wrote:thanks alot all! I am going to get the measurments for my room and try my best to do it right, I will probably need advice with that also, in time. One question in the mean time, I noticed the speakers have a horrible poping sound sometimes, with my mixes I'm sure thats clipping and just "shitty mixes" but I played deadmau5 "some chords" and during the breakdown of the song it did the same poping noise, but it was not through ableton, it was through windows media player, anyone know why it does that??
Trust your Yamaha's! They are now your best friend! So if something sounds shitty when you play it back on your new Yamahas "IT'S IS A BAD MIX OR JUST CRAP QUALITY!" 8)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

hps909

Post by hps909 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:15 am

xzusa8ky wrote:
zahnerj wrote:I have been producing for 2 years with shitty computer speakers, I finally got the yamaha hs80 studio monitors so I can start doing some professional work, but I don't understand the controls on the back, EQ?Room controls?low cut? high trim? I actually had a few songs i produced that i thought sounded awesome but i played them through the yamaha's and they sound like shit, its like there dry alot of the wet/reverby sounds are gone. Can anyone help me out with a site or a way to learn this stuff so I can get back to making music? Anything will be greatly appreciated, thanks so much, peace n beats!
Hi! First i have to say that "Bulo" did hit the right spot quiet well! I own the Yamaha HS80's plus the Yamaha HS10W Subwoofer myself and have to say that i love my set up. You just cant fool thoose babys. But one thing i learned is that you need to add the HS10W to your setup before you start to do final mixes. The difference is amazing with the Sub and i would even go so far to say that it is extremly hard to do a final mix without the Sub thats what i learned when i first started with the HS80's alone. You will only be fooling yourself without it. With the HS10W you will be able to mix the low-end like with nothing else in that price class. With the Sub you will be able to turn off everything under 80hz or 100hz on your HS80's and let the Sub do the hard work, and the system will thank you with even more power and a solid lowend thats sounds good on all systems! That way you will save a lot of time and your mixes will sound good on all systems if you mix it right!

PS: In my studio i did alot of testing to find the best "hotspot" and so should you do. DON'T sit to close to them! I got 1.90 cm between the HS80's. My hotspot is excatly 1,90 cm from the Speakers away and the HS10W is placed in the middle of the HS80's. Very important!

I love my Yamaha's and would not buy anything else to do my final mixes with! :lol:
. an 8" speaker with a sub i would only contemplate that if you have a sizeable room to put them in.

hs80's are rear ported yes? the port against a wall will turn your bottom end to mush, so they need to be kept away from walls .. the hi pass switch on the back will enable you to balance the bottom end if you have them sitting against a wall..

the other eq's are there to balance out room anomalies from reflections... you really need to analyze your room to find out where your peaks and dips are in order to use the eq's properly otherwise best off leaving them alone
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:37 am

hps909 wrote: hs80's are rear ported yes? the port against a wall will turn your bottom end to mush, so they need to be kept away from walls .. the hi pass switch on the back will enable you to balance the bottom end if you have them sitting against a wall..

the other eq's are there to balance out room anomalies from reflections... you really need to analyze your room to find out where your peaks and dips are in order to use the eq's properly otherwise best off leaving them alone
I generally keep my NS10s at least 10" away from the walls, usually more than that if possible.... it's not a bad idea whether they are rear ported or not I think - I've read some engineers talking about 18" or more

also - I read somewhere, I think on the Yamaha site, that one reason they specifically added the EQ switch is so that people who are used to NS10s can make up for the spike in the mid range they are used to, so that's another reason not to touch it for no reason.

they go really well with the HS10w as well, that's what I have.....

obviously treating the room is preferable in an ideal world, but personally I don't worry so much and in many ways I think it's more valuable for the sake of flexibility to just get used to comparing as often as possible to different tracks in the genre you write and trying your tracks on different systems, like car stereo etc... I say that because it means you will get used to being able to mix anywhere rather than only being able to work in that one treated room. Even headphones. In fact I've heard some great mixes by people who did it entirely in headphones.

Zenek

Post by Zenek » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:10 am

Im a new owner of this Yamaha HS80M, and im very satisfied with them.
Somebody could tell me about the volume confguration?
I got the printed version of the manual, but not say something about what i want to know...
The knob volume have in the middle +4db, and the other lines dont have any medition number...
So...
I want to know what is the precise position to work with my monitors?
0db? What is the position for 0db?

Or +1db or +2db ? What is the position of the knob for that?
Last edited by Zenek on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

hps909

Post by hps909 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:03 am

i dont have hs80's so i'm taking a guess ..the volume marks printed look to me like 0db settings for gear outputting @ -10 db or +4 db..

most pro audio gear will either output at -10db or +4db some have a switch that let you select between the 2 so say you hav an interface that outputs @ +4 db you set the volume on the speakers at the +4db mark and you should get unity gain ..
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

hps909

Post by hps909 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:08 am

abletontrainer.com wrote:
hps909 wrote: hs80's are rear ported yes? the port against a wall will turn your bottom end to mush, so they need to be kept away from walls .. the hi pass switch on the back will enable you to balance the bottom end if you have them sitting against a wall..

I generally keep my NS10s at least 10" away from the walls, usually more than that if possible.... it's not a bad idea whether they are rear ported or not I think - I've read some engineers talking about 18" or more
theoretically if a speaker has a front mounted port you can have them flat against a wall .. having said that room size will dictate if it's ok or not ..

Zenek

Post by Zenek » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:25 am

i dont have hs80's so i'm taking a guess ..the volume marks printed look to me like 0db settings for gear outputting @ -10 db or +4 db..

most pro audio gear will either output at -10db or +4db some have a switch that let you select between the 2 so say you hav an interface that outputs @ +4 db you set the volume on the speakers at the +4db mark and you should get unity gain ..
I have this Yamaha with the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, and have this output type:

Analogue Audio Outputs 1-2 (¼" TRS)
• Electronically Balanced Outputs
• Maximum Output Level (0dBFS): +9 dBu
• THD+N: 0.0025% (0 dBFS input, 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

So i should leave the knob volume at +4 db? Or more that +4 db ?

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the image size.