APC20 customization help

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
of norway

APC20 customization help

Post by of norway » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:07 am

Hi guys,
I just got my APC20 and I was wondering if anyone knows a way to make the CUE rotary move the red square up and down (like the buttons do) - this would make jumping around in long live sets quicker.

Also is there a way of setting up the clip launch buttons to delete clips (like with shift+button or something)? Reason for this is that for instance I want to live record a little drumloop as I play my liveset, adding hihats or whatever, but after it's ran a few bars I'd like to remove it - would be nice to not having to touch the computer.

Cheers
Much love
Vegard

www.ofnorway.no
Of Norway
wwww.facebook.com/ofnorwaypage

S4racen

Re: APC20 customization help

Post by S4racen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm sorry to say... No to both requests... Currently anyway...

Cheers
D

of norway

Post by of norway » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:08 pm

S4racen wrote:I'm sorry to say... No to both requests... Currently anyway...

Cheers
D

Thaks for the reply anyways! :) And so if there are anyone from Akai or Ableton reading this I would wish for those possibilities. :)

Oh, and also any hints and tips on live performance with the APC20 is welcome. It works great out of the box, but new stuff is always exiting!

Much love
Vegard
Of Norway

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:43 pm

The Apc20 seems to get ignored in favour of it's bigger brother, you should have a look at Hanz_Petorvs remote scripts and see if there's anything there that's of use...

Cheers
D

ps no one from Akai reads this ;-) (tempting fate to prove me wrong!)

of norway

Post by of norway » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:47 pm

S4racen wrote:The Apc20 seems to get ignored in favour of it's bigger brother, you should have a look at Hanz_Petorvs remote scripts and see if there's anything there that's of use...

Cheers
D

ps no one from Akai reads this ;-) (tempting fate to prove me wrong!)

Hahaha! Good one. Checked your page - you look like you know what you're talking about! Good job! And thanks, I will. :)
Of Norway

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks, i'm sure i'll get to the APC20 one day but with it already having a number of shiftable modes as standard it doesn't seem to me to need that much more?

On the deleting clips issue i could see this happening with M4L, i can currently hold the clip/track button on the APC40 and select a clip using the clip launch buttons which then focuses ableton on it and changes the view to see the waveform... Instead of changing the view it could instead use an external object to create a keystroke that deletes the clip...

Cheers
D

of norway

Post by of norway » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Hmmm, possibly. I guess I could do ok with simply having an on/off on the midiclip - it won't delete, but turn it off at least. I am wondering if I could use the looper though? You know, play some notes, route the sound through the looper and record and manipulate there, and when done, just record a new loop... like a dj sampler... If looper quantize that is - I've just got 8.2.1 now, so haven't tried it yet.

Another way could maybe be just switching midi record mode on the clip - from overdub to normal mode, and just record a bar of silence... it's not perfect, but it might work? I like to keep things simple! Haha.

Will do some tests in the studio tonight.

Where are you from, btw? Do you play loads of gigs? We will play Norway and Berlin this month, and Barcelona during Sonar - if you are playing let's hook up, would love to see how you work! :)
Of Norway

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Yeah i play hundreds of gigs....:-) sadly they are confined to the headphones with the cat as an audience, i get out a couple of times a month but mainly as sets at friends gig's...

Norway seems a very long way away from Dunstable in the uk!! Sonar is very tempting though, not sure it'll fit round work this year....

Cheers
D

of norway

Post by of norway » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Hehe... Well at least the cat is probably a more friendly audience that one get at clubs some times! :P

Yeah, try and get there, I think it will be fun. I've never been before, but people say it's brilliant!

You got a youtube channel or something?

You can find us on: www.ofnorway.no :) oh we have a youtube as well... it's... uh...http://www.youtube.com/ofnorwaytube

stay in touch mate :)
Of Norway

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm

My max stuff is all at www.vimeo.com/studiosessions

Not really got any performance stuff as i only play other peoples music having not made the jump to production yet!

Cheers
D

of norway

Post by of norway » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Will check it out!

Anyone with hints and tips. Please post up! :)
Of Norway

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm

One answer and one question.

Answer:

As far as customizing the cue button to move the red square around, the answer is a big, definite YES !

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq2pz5bafdc

Question:

Does? the user mode(s) on the APC20 also allow for midi mapping the clip pads to effects and such and then? switch back to clip launch(default) mode ? Or do the user modes only affect the faders ?

An informed answer would be highly appreciated :)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:28 pm

beatz01 wrote: An informed answer would be highly appreciated :)
My apologies, mving the box isn't possible through m4l yet, as I can't view youtube at work could you let us know how it is achieved?

As for your question, you need hanz's work on framework classes so yes I believe its possible...

Cheers
D

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:12 am

Speaking of informed answers - it should rather be my apologies because i've just noticed the video is actually about using the cue knob for scene selection (through simple midi mapping), not for moving the red box - i mixed up 2 different videos.

Sorry for that 8O :oops: :cry:

As for my question: I meant if it was possible to map stuff to the clip pads within the given User Mode(s) of the APC20, so without utilizing a 3d party script ?

Where would i get these Hanz scripts btw ?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:55 am

Was gonna post a link but after a quick search theres quite a few that mention the APC20 and what people are doing so keywords are "remote scripts"

Cheers
D