Weird and slowed-down recordings?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
MonsieurBon

Weird and slowed-down recordings?

Post by MonsieurBon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:33 am

Hi All,

I did a bunch of recording with a friend last week and when I went to go mix it this week to send him a mixed-down MP3, I discovered that the whole Live set sounded weird. Our voices sounded a little bit deeper and everything was a little bit slower. The BPM was 100, the BPM of all the clips was 100. I'm pretty sure that's what we recorded at.

I went and listened to the 44KHz/24-bit WAVs in the Recorded Samples folder for the set, and THEY sound slowed-down as well! Other WAVs from other projects sound normal!

I tried changing warp mode on all clips to re-pitch and then nudged the BPM up a bit, and it started to sound more normal, but that's really not practical for doing any more overdubbing on the track.

Any idea what's going on? It'd be nice to fix it and nicer if it never happened again.

I've recorded hundreds of hours on this setup and there's nothing new in the configuration.

Thanks!

0fps

Re: Weird and slowed-down recordings?

Post by 0fps » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 am

I think its a S/R problem. Have u maybe clocked your audio interface to an exteran sync signal?
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

MonsieurBon

Post by MonsieurBon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:43 am

0fps wrote:I think its a S/R problem. Have u maybe clocked your audio interface to an exteran sync signal?
Iiiinteresting. Yes!

I have a MOTU Traveler clocked over optical ADAT from a Presonus Digimax D8. Haven't had any problems with it before, though. Half of the tracks were recorded through the D8 and half of the other through the MOTU.

Although.... I did just recently move the D8 and switch from slaving the D8 off of the MOTU via SPDIF to slaving the MOTU off the D8 via optical.

I'll check all the cables and clock settings.

MonsieurBon

Post by MonsieurBon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:54 am

Yup, that was the problem.

I had been trying to mix it at my other station connected to this computer but in another room using a Presonus Firebox. It was running at 48Khz, but for some reason it was playing it all funny.

I went downstairs and listened on the MOTU at 48KHz and it plays just fine. If I set the clock to 44KHz it sounds slow again.

I just noticed that the sample rate in the preferences is set to 44KHz. I take it I should set that to 48KHz going forward to avoid such issues?

0fps

Post by 0fps » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Well I remember in some devices (i.e. Tascam and a DiGiCO digital desk) that syncing with any other source than Word Clock was almost a mess. For cheap devices is difficult to have good pll ciruits to reference to exteran clocks from adat, madi, s/pdif etc. In my knowledge word clock is the safest way to sync.

Traveler is very stable and flexible at Ext.Reference signals sync. I have record with SMPTE lock and with ADAT also with no probs.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer