Awesome radio voice

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alekst1923

Awesome radio voice

Post by alekst1923 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:11 am

Hey all I was wondering about the voice that you hear on some radio stations and even some Djs like Dj bl3nd use on their mixes. If you listen to his "funky mix" you hear the voice at the beginning saying "Dj bl3nd is about to show you how to get it done." Is this voice built into serato or is it some epic real dude out there? (lolz doubt it but who knows)

Thanks!

here is the link
http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Electro ... maB2?src=5

marconk

Re: Awesome radio voice

Post by marconk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:52 pm

would this article be helpful at all?
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/01/23/h ... name-drop/

socketghost

Post by socketghost » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:08 pm

all time best DJ name drop: Terror Danjah (UK Grime producer) - check it. LOVE that freaky lil voice!

alekst1923

Post by alekst1923 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:44 am

bump, does anyone know how to go about doing this? what do i have to do to Microsoft Sam's voice to make it sound more human like and less retard computer-ish im thinking i need to filter it.

Post by 102455 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:44 am

I very much doubt you'll get an "awesome radio voice" by using a text-to-speech voice.

It should be obvious why - it's all about the intonations.

A real voice-over artist will put in those little "I sound excited" pitch and timing changes that turn it from sounding like Leonard Cohen at a funeral, to something upbeat and peppy.

If you're incapable of plugging in a mic and doing it yourself, there are tons of people out there who record "DJ drops".

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:25 am

alekst1923 wrote:bump, does anyone know how to go about doing this? what do i have to do to Microsoft Sam's voice to make it sound more human like and less retard computer-ish im thinking i need to filter it.

you do it by using a human with a good voice, that knows how to do voiceovers. you can't really polish a turd, you have to have a good source right from the get go and no amount of filtering is going to transform Microsoft Sam into Epic Real Radio Dude. not every musical situation has a plug in or computer generated solution. you could spend untold endless hours trying in vain to get a marginally better mediocre result via the computer, or just try it the way it's been done for decades and be done with it.

use the Epic Real Dude, or acceptable substitute.

alekst1923

Post by alekst1923 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:34 am

This cant be that big of a secret. There has to be some way to recreate that voice. Here in the northeast (Boston MA) there is a radio station called Jammin 94.5 it plays all new "hip hop and rnb" they use the exact same voice as the one heard in the Dj Bl3nd mix i linked above. Someone must know how to recreate it.

dylandigits

Post by dylandigits » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:45 am

alekst1923 wrote:This cant be that big of a secret. There has to be some way to recreate that voice. Here in the northeast (Boston MA) there is a radio station called Jammin 94.5 it plays all new "hip hop and rnb" they use the exact same voice as the one heard in the Dj Bl3nd mix i linked above. Someone must know how to recreate it.
The reason the station voices sound the same is because most mainstream radio stations use prerecorded call-outs and promos that are done by studios that do just that and not much else. The stations hire the studios, then the studios hire professional voice actors that fit the station's desired image (awesome extreme dude, sultry woman, boring public radio guy, etc) and then professionally record and master the call-outs. They almost always compress the hell out of them to make them jump out of your car speakers and grab your attention while you're absentmindedly driving along.

So, get a really nice microphone, a good recording system with audio editing and mastering capabilities, and a software compressor that has one setting: "All. All compression." and you'll be almost there. Then you just have to find someone who can give you the voice attitude you're looking for.

That DJ Tech Tools link upthread has comments from someone who runs a service like I've just described, so maybe they're worth checking out.

alekst1923

Post by alekst1923 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:01 am

alright, thats kind of depressing. Thanks for the answer tho. This whole time i was thinking i could juice up microsoft sam and make him sound like an epic human.

Thanks..

dylandigits

Post by dylandigits » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:49 am

Sorry to disappoint.

Remember, though, that plenty of DJs have used other options with slightly less professional results ("dirty" in the good production sense way, you know?). Get a $20 mic at Target, record it into your DAW of choice, use EQ to filter out noise, and add a full battalion of effects to make it exciting (but still understandable) and you're in business. Make it unique instead of replicating the mainstream radio call-out. Timestretch the hell out of your name. Add a huge delay feedback. Vocode it. The average punter won't know what goes into making it sound like that, and all they'll remember is "Hey that DJ had a robot with echo effects announcing his voice!"

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:18 pm

alekst1923 wrote:This cant be that big of a secret. There has to be some way to recreate that voice. Here in the northeast (Boston MA) there is a radio station called Jammin 94.5 it plays all new "hip hop and rnb" they use the exact same voice as the one heard in the Dj Bl3nd mix i linked above. Someone must know how to recreate it.

there's no secret. the dude who did the Bl3nd voiceover did the other radio station voiceover. think about it, it's like the movie voiceover people or celebrities like James Earl Jones....... you have heard their voices in ads everywhere for years, but never really pay attention to it. until you need a voiceover, that is...

you could find an Epic Awesome someone online who can do that for you, probably for not a whole lot of money. a buddy of mine's wife does voiceovers for a living, and she never leaves her house. she is quite unlikely to be Teh 0nE for you, but i'd have to imagine there's some golden voiced dude out there who would do it for $50-100, and you could get him to rattle off a dozen things you want him to say and you would have your own exclusive ID tags to use over and over again.

then of course, you have to make bumpers for the vocals.... you know, big explosion, FX, lazer sounds as the cue because it adds additional drama.

it's all good practice to know how to do, you never know when you will have to put together a mix show - had to do it about 10 years ago for a couple few months and it was an education for me. had a few different people just do the ID's, and pitch shifted/FX'ed the vocals till i got what i needed. it was nothing too fancy, but delivery is most important - if you start with meh, you shall wind up with meh.

dylandigits

Post by dylandigits » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:59 pm

blakbeltjonez wrote:if you start with meh, you shall wind up with meh.
This needs to be on a T-shirt. Or in an updated edition of the Bible. Or both.

alekst1923

Post by alekst1923 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 pm

LOL