Live playing back at wrong tempo

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
mikewtwitch

Live playing back at wrong tempo

Post by mikewtwitch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:21 am

I'm using an old version of Live (5.2) on OS X 10.6.6.

Sometimes Live plays things back at the wrong tempo.

For example, I have a clip that I know is about 130 bpm. The clip is set to be warped. If Live's tempo is set to 130 bpm, the clip is played back at what sounds like 120 bpm. I have to set Live's tempo to 140 bpm to make it sound right.

And sometimes it plays too fast. Again, the clip is known to be about 130 bpm. If Live's tempo is set to 130 bpm, the clip is played back at what sounds like 140 bpm. I have to set Live's tempo to 120 bpm to make it sound right.

In either case, if I render the clip to disk, the resulting output file is at the right tempo. So the problem is only with playback.

Has anyone run into this?

yur2die4

Re: Live playing back at wrong tempo

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:41 pm

If the clip is short, Live might assume that it is edited to be a loop.

If there is space at the beginning or end of the clip other than strictly the actual beat, that will throw off how Live deals with the clip.

The only way to make sure that the clip is set up perfectly is to go in and warp the clip. Hopefully that would solve your problem.

Post by 102455 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Why don't you try using a more recent version of Live?

pokuba

Post by pokuba » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 am

Hi.
I am practising for my live gigs and I found this problem ... that the tempo in ableton suite (8.2.7) is faster than in other devices.
I use couple of different devices at the stage and it is not possible to play tham simultiniously because tempo in Ableton is to fast.

I have done a test:

1. A new session in ableton with tempo 160 bpm and a time signature 3/4. No samples in the session.
2. A new session in Cubase ... the same settings
3. A new preset in BOSS RC -300 (looper) with 160 bpm and 3/4

Switched the click on.
Launched all of them in the same moment ..
and the result is .... after about 2 minutes Cubase and Boss RC-300 played perfectly together ... Ableton was faster!!!

What to do about it?
Please help ... it is very big problem for me. I happens this way even if I syncronize ableton with boss looper. Tempos are not the same.

Sorry for my english