TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Why wouldn't you have just said that to begin with...instead of trying to make it seem as if my request was unrealistic. :?

Whatever.

So, if Apple decides to allow an API connect via the CCK, will you support that method?

On one hand you criticise my request, but then turn around and say:
As much as we would like to offer an alternative (e.g. USB cable)

:| :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:14 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Why wouldn't you have just said that to begin with...instead of trying to make it seem as if my request was unrealistic. :?

Whatever.

So, if Apple decides to allow an API connect via the CCK, will you support that method?

On one hand you criticise my request, but then turn around and say:
As much as we would like to offer an alternative (e.g. USB cable)

:| :lol:
Sorry, for the misunderstanding,
it is just that we have to answer to this question at least 10 times a week... :wink:
But the more alternative we can offer the best it is of course.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:55 pm

rabouille wrote: use share connection if you are on OSX as it is explained here: http://touch-able.com/Site/AdHoc-Guide2_Mac.html)

Dude. What advantage does that method have over just quickly setting up an ad hoc network if I'm out at a gig?

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
rabouille wrote: use share connection if you are on OSX as it is explained here: http://touch-able.com/Site/AdHoc-Guide2_Mac.html)

Dude. What advantage does that method have over just quickly setting up an ad hoc network if I'm out at a gig?
big advantage: you don't have to tweak the network settings everytime!
You ll just have to connect your ipad on the name of this shared network, that's all.

2 seconds, no more :)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Okay. Well, I'll have to retry the whole thing again because as soon as I unplugged my LAN cable from the Airport all settings and the adhoc network were lost forever.

Is the idea here to create a PERMANENT adhoc network that you can easily recall from your AirPort network list? When you leave the home and are at a gig or wherever? Because I didn't think that was even possible.

:)

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:38 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Okay. Well, I'll have to retry the whole thing again because as soon as I unplugged my LAN cable from the Airport all settings and the adhoc network were lost forever.

Is the idea here to create a PERMANENT adhoc network that you can easily recall from your AirPort network list? When you leave the home and are at a gig or wherever? Because I didn't think that was even possible.

:)
it is possible with this method.
Sometimes OSX disconnect your shared network, you jsut have to go to system settings, share, and click again on "internet share". It will be the maximum you ll have to do.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Okay, thanks rabouille. I'll give it another go...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Okay, I guess I'm not understanding this but it seems as though you always have to have a hardwire LAN connection in order for this to work. If not, where in the world do I pick my permanent ad hoc network the next time I want to connect?

kooperativ

Post by kooperativ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:38 pm

You don't need the ethernet connection to be plugged in to use the Internet sharing method. You'll be able to 'share' the Ethernet connection with your WiFi regardless.

To disable / enable your adhoc network simply go to the Sharing - System Settings and disable/enable Internet sharing by checking the box on the left. Prior you can change the WiFi settings as in change network name & password. They will be saved though so it's easy to come back to using it. If done right your network should persist even after a system reboot and be ready to use immediately.

Another comment on the connection-type discussion:
I completely agree with giving different possibilites to connect to your computer. We are limited by the options that apple gives us though. We currently do the majority of traffic between Ableton and our app via OSC which requires an active network connection to work.
Using MyWi or a tethered iPad in general it is possible to create a network connection between the computer & the ipad via usb. Otherwise you're pretty much screwed and have to use the WiFi connection.

It's not possible for us to easily convert all this traffic to MIDI or Sysex to enable using the camera connection kit and we doubt it would make much of a difference - the throughput of most usb-midi connectors is not that great. Currently i'm harassing apple to enable USB network connections at least on WiFi only iPads - but i seriously doubt they will comply! ;)

At the moment i can only recommend using the USB cable and jailbreaking your device - Just be careful when you do it ;-)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Hey kooperativ,

A couple of thoughts:

1. I'll try the sharing method again and I will post a detailed description of the steps I take. I can get it to work, but as soon as I unplug my ethernet cable I absolutely cannot figure out how in the world to access the network I just created. :x

2. The folks over at Konkreet Labs have incorporated the hostname.local method of wifi connection. This is incredibly handy because the app always remembers the hostname - and the name of my computer never changes :wink: . I don't ever have to manually enter an IP address. Is that something that could happen with touchAble?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:31 am

Okay, created my share network (called Stick1). Got touchAble working. Everything was great. Now.....

1. I unplug my ethernet cable.
2. Quit out of OSX System Prefs.
3. Restart the MacBook.
4. My share network is still active. Cool.
5. Open System Prefs and then Sharing.
6. Uncheck (turn off) Internet sharing. MacBook AirPort wifi symbol returns.
7. Select my existing router wifi network - which eventually connects but...no internet access!?!
8. Open up System Prefs and go to Network. My wireless network name is selected and I pick Advanced.
9. Change TCP/IP back to Using DHCP. Hit Apply.
10. My internet connection is back.

And here's the problem: How in the world do I get back to my Stick1 share network???

kooperativ

Post by kooperativ » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 pm

To get back to the shared network: navigate to Sharing Settings and activate Internet Sharing - your network should be back, regardless if you have an ethernet cable plugged in or not.
You might need to change the IP of your macbooks wifi adapter to manual settings again.
To automate this as well you can create a second 'Location' within your network preferences that allows you to have seperate IP settings for your WiFi adapter: e.g. Location 'Home' with the WiFi connected via DHCP and another one 'touchAble' with manual settings.

We'll rework the connection process soon to make use of Bonjour and hostnames.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:07 pm

kooperativ wrote:We'll rework the connection process soon to make use of Bonjour and hostnames.

NICE! :D

I think that pretty much solves the hassle issue, right there. As long as the app can remember the hostname!

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Ableton and touchAble users,
we'll be at Mixmove from sunday 13th to tuesday 15th at the SCV distribution stand for some demos of the new (and now very soon released) version of touchAble, if some of you guys want to come and talk about touchAble, you 'll be super welcome, you can already send me a private message via the forum to get in touch.

See you there :)

http://www.mixmove-expo.com/

drez

Post by drez » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 pm

rabouille wrote:Ableton and touchAble users,
we'll be at Mixmove from sunday 13th to tuesday 15th at the SCV distribution stand for some demos of the new (and now very soon released) version of touchAble, if some of you guys want to come and talk about touchAble, you 'll be super welcome, you can already send me a private message via the forum to get in touch.

See you there :)

http://www.mixmove-expo.com/
I hope by "very soon" you mean the "very soon" we all hope you mean ;)
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty