iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
vicz

Re: iPad

Post by vicz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:02 am

beats me wrote:
vicz wrote:GB - its worth £2.99 (and more) for the instruments alone. Awesome app, great fun. Its not going to replace Live (or Logic) so just lighten up and enjoy it :P

Nanostudio kicks it's butt as far as DAW functions. If you want to get excited like it's Main Stage then that's cool, but it could use some big improvements in the DAW department....improvements that already exist in other apps.
Well you may have a point IF Nanostudio ever gets released for the iPad... :?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:35 pm

vicz wrote:
beats me wrote:
vicz wrote:GB - its worth £2.99 (and more) for the instruments alone. Awesome app, great fun. Its not going to replace Live (or Logic) so just lighten up and enjoy it :P

Nanostudio kicks it's butt as far as DAW functions. If you want to get excited like it's Main Stage then that's cool, but it could use some big improvements in the DAW department....improvements that already exist in other apps.
Well you may have a point IF Nanostudio ever gets released for the iPad... :?

I just posted over at the NanoStudio forum about this....

NanoStudio will work on the iPad, but who the fuck wants to look at WRETCHED pixelization? :x

Honestly, the dude just seems to hate the iPad. :lol: It's endless excuses for not releasing at least a universal version. He seems to maintain that an iPad version won't be released until he can do it up proper-like. New features or something, who the fuck knows. But then he states he's just finished RETINA compatibility for the iPhone4. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Thank God more developers haven't adopted his mentality. We'd be nowhere. At least it's finally got MIDI i/o. No clock support, though.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:38 pm

I don't know why the NanoStudio thing pisses me off so much, but it does. :x

Probably because...WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT USING A DAW ON A FUCKING IPHONE???????????????????????????????

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:16 pm

LoopSZ, be nice. The guy at BlipInteractive works his butt off on improvements and does state in a post that he will get to the iPad version.He's always been upfront about his scheduling and let's everyone know what's on his plate at the moment. Your post is not making the progress move faster.
Last edited by shimmy on Wed May 04, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

db120

Post by db120 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:51 pm

I just posted over at the NanoStudio forum about this....

NanoStudio will work on the iPad, but who the fuck wants to look at WRETCHED pixelization? :x

Jailbreak and try retinapad or full force, they may work to view Iphone apps in Ipad with minimal pixelation..

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:10 pm

shimmy wrote:LoopSZ, don't be a dick. The guy at BlipInteractive works his butt off on improvements and does state in a post that he will get to the iPad version.He's always been upfront about his scheduling and let's everyone know what's on his plate at the moment. Your post is not making the progress move faster.

Disagree.

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Of course you disagree.But, just buy Nanostudio already.It's amazing on both Ipod Touch and the Ipad. Sure, the resolution is Atari looking,but, that's not why I bought it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm buying it. But only because he at least now supports MIDI i/o. Before, it was a combination of no MIDI AND no optimized iPad version that kept me away. I'll report back in...

Still, the rationale for not having at least a screen optimized version for the iPad is mondo bizarro. I mean, he's just worked out a RETINA compatible version???!!!! Porting that over to the iPad should be nothing at all, right? Am I missing something there? But he doesn't want to because.....he wants to make a big splash with new features or better layout or whatever? An iPad resolution version isn't good enough on it's own merits? What?

I don't get it. Dozens of posts over there asking about an iPad version. DOZENS. A year later and.... :x

I respect that he's made what appears to be a killer app with what might well be the first serious fanboy base in the music app world. :P But spending one second on retina optimization before you get an iPad version out the door? What? WHAT? :x

You know that I'm a big supporter of devs that I think have really done an outstanding job on their music apps. I'm critical of lack of MIDI features, but by and large I think I'm pretty supportive and encouraging and hopeful and excited about what folks are doing. If I smell something fishy that doesn't make sense, I call it out. This just doesn't make sense to me. Sorry if I'm coming across as a dick. I think my record shows - even for apps like the iMS-20 - that I can lavish quite a bit of praise on something while at the same time remain objective and critical.

Kinda like how I am with the iPad. :P :lol: :wink:

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Something I'd like to hear about from ipad 2 user is what the performance improvement is like for air display. When the increase processor speed and huge graphics performance boost, I'd think Air Display would be much smoother. Would love to know.
Professional Shark Jumper.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:59 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Something I'd like to hear about from ipad 2 user is what the performance improvement is like for air display. When the increase processor speed and huge graphics performance boost, I'd think Air Display would be much smoother. Would love to know.
I've heard Splashtop app is even better than Air Display and promises a nearly realtime screen update, and this was before the iPad 2 was even announced.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:59 am

I highly recommend the free Zite app. It's a news/blog aggregator, but unlike the others instead of choosing actual sites from it to pull from, you choose topics or categories. Then it aggregates from a ton of different sites for those categories you chose. You can also like and dislike articles so it will customize what it shows you the more articles you like or dislike.

A breath of fresh air for me really. I had my same dozen or so sites stuffed into aggregator apps and as no real surprise seemed like they were all reporting the same stories but at different times. Zite shows me all kinds of things I find interesting but never would have sought out manually.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Well I bought Garageband. I hadn't yet bought a guitar Amp sim for ipad which I've been meaning to do, so even just for that it's great for 5 bucks. And I wanted one that let me actually record some guitar tracks over other loops. The fact that I can export and bring in Logic is even better. If it had no midi at all it would still be worth it. However Beats me has a good point about the midi. Why the hell would it not be editable? All music apps on the ipad/iphone let you edit the sequences. It's not like it's a processor intensive task. The midi is there. Recorded as midi notes. I don't understand why they don't provide the means to edit the notes after they been recorded. It makes so little sense that I question whether we just haven't found the right multi finger gesture to bring up the midi editor. Oh right, it the 5 finger scrunch-twist-flick....
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:47 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:I don't know why the NanoStudio thing pisses me off so much, but it does. :x

Probably because...WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT USING A DAW ON A FUCKING IPHONE???????????????????????????????

Didn’t feel like getting into this over the weekend but this is truth of the highest order.

I’m surprised you didn’t already have this. Oh wait, let me guess…you didn’t get it because there was no universal or iPad version (note to developer, sales loss, nobody with an iPad wants to buy an iPhone only DAW).

When the iPhone was the only version, then cool, understood. But with the release of the iPad 2 and still no iPad version? Shame. Disgrace.

Given the feature packed iPhone version I’m assuming the developer doesn’t want to just do a quick port that is mostly just beautifying the graphics of the iPhone version and then dealing with the haters complaining there isn’t much difference between the two.

But ffs, at this point quit focusing on the iPhone version beyond simple bug fixes. It’s an epic app as is and it’s time to bring an iPad version to the table.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:00 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Well I bought Garageband. I hadn't yet bought a guitar Amp sim for ipad which I've been meaning to do, so even just for that it's great for 5 bucks. And I wanted one that let me actually record some guitar tracks over other loops. The fact that I can export and bring in Logic is even better. If it had no midi at all it would still be worth it. However Beats me has a good point about the midi. Why the hell would it not be editable? All music apps on the ipad/iphone let you edit the sequences. It's not like it's a processor intensive task. The midi is there. Recorded as midi notes. I don't understand why they don't provide the means to edit the notes after they been recorded. It makes so little sense that I question whether we just haven't found the right multi finger gesture to bring up the midi editor. Oh right, it the 5 finger scrunch-twist-flick....

I really think the current version of Garageband was a rush to release to coincide with the release of the iPad 2. When you’re in the individual instruments/modules there’s a lot of wow factor which Apple really wanted to promote. When you start trying to the pull it all together into a cohesive song then it’s a big fail.

I’ve heard similar things about iMovie, a big wow factor on the keynote, but in actual use very basic and nowhere near the functionality of the desktop version, and the desktop version isn’t exactly known for being even a mid level movie editor. You get what you pay for, and when you buy a new Mac it’s free. Enough said.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:50 pm

beats me wrote: But ffs, at this point quit focusing on the iPhone version beyond simple bug fixes. It’s an epic app as is and it’s time to bring an iPad version to the table.

Yes. All of my thoughts exactly.

I bought the program, and have been exploring. For certain it's a cool app, but there's aspects that are fucking INFURIATING. The sequencer portion is really not intuitive at all and I'm gonna have to break down and RTFM. I mean, why the fuck can't I simply move a clip in sequence view with my fucking finger??? Seems as though you have to select a clip and then move it with this little slider thingy on the side of the screen. omfg. And stetching a clip? Still can't figure out how to do that. Both things, incidently, you can easily do in Garageband. With your finger. ffs. :x

The pixelated graphics are truly horrid. I mean, you either get that a better res version for the iPad is important, or you don't. He doesn't. But his LEGIONS of loyal users don't give a shit either. I shit you not. Go over to the NanoStudio forum and type in iPad. For every douchebag (me) asking for a better screen res version for the iPad, there's FIVE fanboys who respond that it's not needed.

I. Shit. You. Not.