iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:54 pm

We'll see improvements in Garageband with quick updates, me thinks. Like MIDI note/velocity editing.

But I disagree that it's a fail. I can put together a nice little song sketch pretty quickly without much fuss and muss. Full featured DAW? No. But at least I'm not actually forced to RTFM in order to get BASIC shit done like stretching a clip. :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote: But ffs, at this point quit focusing on the iPhone version beyond simple bug fixes. It’s an epic app as is and it’s time to bring an iPad version to the table.

:x
Yes. All of my thoughts exactly.

I bought the program, and have been exploring. For certain it's a cool app, but there's aspects that are fucking INFURIATING. The sequencer portion is really not intuitive at all and I'm gonna have to break down and RTFM. I mean, why the fuck can't I simply move a clip in sequence view with my fucking finger??? Seems as though you have to select a clip and then move it with this little slider thingy on the side of the screen. omfg. And stetching a clip? Still can't figure out how to do that. Both things, incidently, you can easily do in Garageband. With your finger. ffs. :x

The pixelated graphics are truly horrid. I mean, you either get that a better res version for the iPad is important, or you don't. He doesn't. But his LEGIONS of loyal users don't give a shit either. I shit you not. Go over to the NanoStudio forum and type in iPad. For every douchebag (me) asking for a better screen res version for the iPad, there's FIVE fanboys who respond that it's not needed.

I. Shit. You. Not.

Oh, and I should have read the fine print. MIDI IN only. No clock and no MIDI out. Jesus wept. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Get ready for a change of pants with this news.

MARTHA STEWART MAKES COOKIES APP NOW SUPPORTS VIDEO AIRPLAY. I SHIT YOU NOT.

Who hasn’t been waiting for this?!?! This is why Airplay was invented in the first place. Cookie making. By Martha Stewart.

Take that TED TALKS!!

:x :x :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Jon Bon Jovi claims Steve Jobs killed the music industry.

http://www.macstories.net/news/bon-jovi ... more-20819

:P

"On a related note, Gutenberg is personally responsible for killing handwritten books. Oh, the magic of manually writing thousands of copies of the same book."

:lol:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Bon Jovi needs to get out more. Vinyl has made a huge cumback. I can't turn around in a shop of any sort and not run into stacks of the shit.

Next think you know that FUCKING WRETCHED Tower Records will be back open for business. :x

And all those little hinky dinky vinyl stores that are now opening up will be driven BACK UNDER.

ffs.

Rave

Post by Rave » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:04 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:We'll see improvements in Garageband with quick updates, me thinks. Like MIDI note/velocity editing.

But I disagree that it's a fail. I can put together a nice little song sketch pretty quickly without much fuss and muss. Full featured DAW? No. But at least I'm not actually forced to RTFM in order to get BASIC shit done like stretching a clip. :x
Can u edit the midi notes on GarageBand????

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Rave wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:We'll see improvements in Garageband with quick updates, me thinks. Like MIDI note/velocity editing.

Can u edit the midi notes on GarageBand????

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 pm

I also predict that at some point sooner than later any stellar improvements to Garageband will require the ownership of an iPad 2.

Mark my words. Mark them.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:03 am

What pisses me off is that the app store doesn't specify if something is really optimized for the iPad. :x

And I think we'll see MIDI clip editing with Garageband before Summer - and it won't require an iPad2. They'd have to add some serious graphic eye candy (and a SHITLOAD of new synth parameters) in order to really require the A5 preocessor. Eye candy is the biggest draw. Shit, if a comprehensive synth like the iMS-20 or NLogSynthPro runs fine on the iPadone.....

Oh, and something that seriously pisses me off about Garageband is that you can't specify what MIDI channels is set to receive. I started stomping on my SoftStep - firing clips - when suddenly the volume and pans on Garageband start going haywire because it's receiving errant MIDI CCs.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:48 am

So what's the best way to get midi into an iPad for use in Garageband, etc.? Line 6's midi mobilizer?
Same question for guitar. Does iRig work as an interface for GB? Or is this one better?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4990ZM/A
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:43 am

As much as I resent my home town for becoming the center of young professionals making insane amounts of money on nothing important, tangible, or long lived, I have to hand it to Yelp HQ for installing a beer tap for their employees attached to an iPad to monitor their consumption.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Anubis wrote:So what's the best way to get midi into an iPad for use in Garageband, etc.? Line 6's midi mobilizer?
Same question for guitar. Does iRig work as an interface for GB? Or is this one better?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4990ZM/A

The iRig is SHIT. Huge amounts of feedback and weirdness. Test one out at your local Guitar Center. You'll see.

I went with the Peavey iLink, but it's only nominally better.

The Apogee looks to be the best so far - with a price to match.

I'm holding out for at least an awesome 2channel class compliant USB device that also has audio out. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:04 pm

I really don’t think we’re going to see anything full featured as far as DAWs until maybe the iPad 4 or beyond. At this point it’s all just excitement because you can do anything but there is still tons of limitations held up by possibly the technology but also by developers to FULLY give a shit. :x

Myabe there's a Mark Zuckerburg of iPad DAWs out there quietly developing while we speak.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Hopefully Apple will do something to fix this soon, but there’s reports out right now that iTunes doesn’t play nice if you have an iPad 1 and want it to mirror your settings to the iPad 2. It fucks up what apps to install and also any folder system you might have come up with.

This better be sorted before I get one, if. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Online orders for an iPad 2 now have a 4-5 week shipping estimate.

That's a hell of incentive to buy something else that would be more immediate.

And the longer you wait to purchase an iPad 2 you might as well hold out for a 3.