iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: iPad

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:09 pm

beats me wrote:Online orders for an iPad 2 now have a 4-5 week shipping estimate.

That's a hell of incentive to buy something else that would be more immediate.

And the longer you wait to purchase an iPad 2 you might as well hold out for a 3.

:x
Yes. When I stop and think about it, I don't think there's a single thing on the ipad 2 that I don't have on the ipad 1, except that cool magnetic cover. Might be cool to take photos with a bigger view screen than my iphone sometimes and I'm sure the speed helps a little, but it's not as though I use any cpu intensive apps. It's mainly control apps for music. And since you can use multiple programs at once (no equivalent to plug-ins really), cpu just doesn't matter much. Give me a retina display (or close) however and I'm all over it immediately.
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:33 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
beats me wrote:Online orders for an iPad 2 now have a 4-5 week shipping estimate.

And the longer you wait to purchase an iPad 2 you might as well hold out for a 3.

Yes. When I stop and think about it, I don't think there's a single thing on the ipad 2 that I don't have on the ipad 1, except that cool magnetic cover. Might be cool to take photos with a bigger view screen than my iphone sometimes and I'm sure the speed helps a little, but it's not as though I use any cpu intensive apps. It's mainly control apps for music. And since you can use multiple programs at once (no equivalent to plug-ins really), cpu just doesn't matter much. Give me a retina display (or close) however and I'm all over it immediately.

My main reasons for getting an iPad 2 would be.

1. Thinner

2. Somewhat lighter

2. Faster processor and better graphics for games

3. Supposedly way faster web experience

4. HDMI out mirroring of EVERY app

Given the current state of MIDI, audio, and unreliable/complicated connection over wifi I still see music as being little more than gimmicky on idevices for my purposes. I’m not doing live shows that I need to wow people with my tech savy and any time I would be in the headspace and environment to work on music I will also be feet away from my real computer so I might as well use that.

Some people are already thrilled with how much music you can do with idevices or are always willing to milk the limitations of current technology to it’s full potential, but I’m very much an up there in years plug-in-play person who needs things to just work. Idevice music isn’t quite there for me yet.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 pm

beats me wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:

My main reasons for getting an iPad 2 would be.

1. Thinner

2. Somewhat lighter

2. Faster processor and better graphics for games

3. Supposedly way faster web experience

4. HDMI out mirroring of EVERY app

Given the current state of MIDI, audio, and unreliable/complicated connection over wifi I still see music as being little more than gimmicky on idevices for my purposes. I’m not doing live shows that I need to wow people with my tech savy and any time I would be in the headspace and environment to work on music I will also be feet away from my real computer so I might as well use that.

Some people are already thrilled with how much music you can do with idevices or are always willing to milk the limitations of current technology to it’s full potential, but I’m very much an up there in years plug-in-play person who needs things to just work. Idevice music isn’t quite there for me yet.
Ya I hear you. I find it's pretty much plug and play for the music apps I use it for. And I find the controls apps are genuinely useful - touchable, griid, Omni TR and soon probably the most useful - Kapture (once I get to try it). I've got a few that I don't use in any serious way like the iMS-20, Beatmaker 2, iElectribe, Morphwhiz. But they are fun sometimes and do not seem to need more processing power. Garageband will also be very useful thanks to the guitar sims. But the biggest use I have for it is email, kindle/ibooks, news apps or consolidators and web browsing. I don't the see any of this improving with ipad 2 much. You say much faster web browsing? Wasn't that a function of the iOS 4.3 update mainly?

Anywho, I seriously want that magnetic cover thing. But wouldn't you also want a back cover of some kind. Slight padding for the backend would be good. My apple ipad case gets so damn dirty and you can't clean it! I've got marks on there that I don't even know what they are but no amount of scrubbing with any washing substance I have had any affect on it. It's like some crazy stain preservation material.
Professional Shark Jumper.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 pm

beats me wrote: or are always willing to milk the limitations of current technology to it’s full potential

Funny thing is, I'm only willing because it's the iPad.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:46 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Anywho, I seriously want that magnetic cover thing. But wouldn't you also want a back cover of some kind. Slight padding for the backend would be good. My apple ipad case gets so damn dirty and you can't clean it! I've got marks on there that I don't even know what they are but no amount of scrubbing with any washing substance I have had any affect on it. It's like some crazy stain preservation material.
:lol:

Fucking truth.

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote: or are always willing to milk the limitations of current technology to it’s full potential

Funny thing is, I'm only willing because it's the iPad.
I seriously marvel at people who make lemonade out of lemons, figuratively. It's a good way to be. But personally I just move on to the pears so I don't have to think too hard.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:49 pm

For as cool as that new cover is..I'm going to stick with a nice slipcase.

I slip my iPad out of the case now. No fuss, no muss. And absolutely NO screen protectors allowed. Fucking ratty things. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 pm

That’s the thing that kind of pisses me off about Apple products. They’re so damn pretty that you don’t want any of their surfaces touching the surface of anything else EVER. My laptops are almost always on those cool feet things or a sheet or towel because I don’t want the bottom (which nobody ever sees) to get scratched up. :x

The back of an iPhone or iPad? Fuck no, they better not get scratched! :x

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Once I have owned my iPad for a year I won't bother with the case unless I leave the house with it. Tis much lighter without

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:39 pm

13,000 VIEWS :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 pm

I think we can safely say a few things now.

The iPad 2 had to come out because it’s time for a refresh based on schedule. Also it needed to be released to satisfy the “I never buy a first gen anything” douches. These same douches (sorry to anybody on here who is that douche) will instantly jump on the second gen anything just to stick to their word…even though the first gen kicked ass as is and the second gen isn’t much of an improvement. This explains the HUGE sales of the iPad 2.

And if the iPad 2 is HUGE in sales then the iPad 3 is going to be MASSIVE because that is the model to truly give a shit about that made some vast improvements to the first gen and it will be attractive to people who already own a first gen, second gen, and no iPad yet (losers).

And if the short time frame from announcement to release of the iPad 2 is any indication then you need to have the money for the iPad 3 in the bank NOW, an inflatable tent already hidden in the shrubs next to an Apple store, and a small army of epileptics currently hitting the refresh button on the Apple store site.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:46 pm

And the state of MIDI will probably be no better by iPad3 release time.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:02 am

Piper Jaffray: iPad 2 totally sold out, 70% to new buyers

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/13/ ... ew-buyers/

:P
•Buyers were split almost evenly between Mac and PC users (51%/49%). By contrast, the split for the original iPad was 74%/26%.
•400,000 to 500,000 iPad 2s sold, compared with 300,000 iPad 1s in its first weekend last year.
one of the company's most successful product launches to date
Other interesting notes from Munster’s checks showed that 70 percent of iPad 2 buyers were new to the iPad. :P

:P :P :P

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:04 am

Meanwhile, over at the Motorola Xoom display:

Whoa. Steady on, lads! No pushing. No shoving. Plenty left for everyone.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 am

It's always good times reading one of the few negative reviews of an idevice which is almost exclusively by Apple hating Microsoft worshipers. The other negative reviews are by cursed tech unfortunates who start their reviews with something like "well, I just received my 5th idevice replacement in the last week and that one doesn't work either. I've had it!" :? :x :P

But the resentful unimpressed attempted Apple converts are always the best. After ALWAYS letting you know they don't own any other Apple products and how thrilled they are with Windows machines they then go on to complain about features the idevice has or doesn't have that any 3-year-old is aware of but apparently this chap never heard such info until after their purchase. They usually ramble on with the vaguest of complaints without going into specifically why it's so important to them "I want to connect a thumb drive to the thing, but son of a bitch, no I can't". "I want my audio files in a folder of my design and choosing! Maybe have a word document in that same folder!!! Maybe next to a PDF!! Just hanging out together. All crazy like. Cause I put them there. I did it!" :x

I picture these people angrily walking into an Apple store, walking up to an employee with cash in hand demanding "Fuck you! Give me an idevice!" and then storming back home so that they can angrily write their predictable scathing review within 10 minutes of opening the box. :P

Hey, Microsoft announced yesterday they are discontinuing the production of the zune player. Wasn't mentioned on here. Anybody care? Anybody? :lol:

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 am

beats me wrote:I picture these people angrily walking into an Apple store, walking up to an employee with cash in hand demanding "Fuck you! Give me an idevice!" and then storming back home so that they can angrily write their predictable scathing review within 10 minutes of opening the box. :P
Louis CK puts it so well --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk